Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Absolute Fan

Episode Discussion # 418 - "Eastern Standard Time"

As Senior Ditch Day arrives, Joey is excited to find herself accompanying Jen on an excursion to New York under the auspices of attending a college meeting. But it's not long before Joey realizes that they're there for an entirely different reason.

Meanwhile, eager to infuse their relationship with a bit of spontaneity, Gretchen and Dawson take off on a road trip... But what starts out as unpredictable fun turns into one debacle after another.

Back in Capeside, Pacey and Drue find themselves the only seniors in school on Ditch Day. Having had enough, they set out for some real fun, Drue style, leaving Pacey in serious doubt as to what his future will hold for him.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Pace & Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Extreme Fan

This was Jens episode really. She really dealt with a lot of stuff with her father in this episode that she was going to have to deal with sooner or later. MW showed some really good acting. As for the rest I really did not care much about it.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Elite Fan

Same here. Loved that finally we saw an episode focused on Jen.
Finally she confronted her problems and her father. It was a great scene.
MW was awesome in that episode.

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Master Fan

I didnt remember this episode much but after reading the description again I think it was a rather eventful . Pacey on his downward spiral, something substantial for Jen and Michelle with Joey sort of just along for the ride not front and center as usual and Gretchen and Dawson having some fun. I vaguely remember their road trip and the things that went on (something about a weird diner is all I remember?) But the way Dawson was all about sex with Gretchen AFTER he found out that Joey had already lost her virginity? Creeeeeepy. And assy. And Im glad Gretchen was such a smart cookie.

Pacey and Drue were pretty funny but the most intense part was Doug and Pacey when Pacey was getting arrested. So sad.

Jen and her dad was definitely the highlight of this episode. I think Jens past was probably one of the most fascinating stories that was barely delved into in this series. In fact, I think the family lives of Jen, Joey and Pacey were all really interesting storylines that just never were.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Hi everyone! Remember me? Here's what I wrote about this episode when it aired:

I thought that this was one of the most emotionally powerful episodes of Dawson’s Creek that I’ve ever had the pleasure to watch, as a heartbreaking type of reality hit home for both Pacey and Gretchen in scenes that were so sad to watch, and as Jen Lindley broke through years of pain and self destruction and realized a shocking truth which had sent her on a downward spiral, and had tragically affected her in ways, like Dr. Frost had said, that “she couldn’t even begin to fathom.”

I liked Dawson and Gretchen’s conversation in the beginning of the episode, and how she was able to inspire the always overly analytical and introspective Dawson to live for the moment and do something, as he phrased it so well, “epic, and romantic, and crazy, and perfect.” I really loved the affection that Dawson and Gretchen showed each other in this episode, and I thought it was amusing to see Dawson taken in by a seemingly friendly old man who, after Dawson helped him repair his truck after Dawson and Gretchen got a flat tire, dropped them like a hot potato when he found out that they didn’t have any money. I really loved seeing Dawson and Gretchen’s romantic interlude by the sea, but I couldn’t believe that at the moment of ultimate romance between a couple that I’ve come to love dearly, that Dawson would mention Joey, because not only was it tactless of him to do that, it seemed to indicate a sad reality for both Gretchen, and, ultimately, for Dawson, that Dawson really isn’t over Joey. I couldn’t believe that at a moment where he had a possible opportunity to make love to a young woman that loves him and has treated him with the utmost of tenderness and respect, that Dawson would say that he envisioned that his and Joey’s “first time” would be with each other, because Joey’s moved on, and up to recently, I thought that Dawson had moved on as well, but it seems that he hasn’t, which will sadden some people, and elate some other people, because when it comes right down to it, it seems that Dawson’s heart is in conflict with his head, because for every logical reason, Dawson should give all of his heart to Gretchen, because she’s the one who loves him, and who’s been there for him, and not Joey, but as Dawson said once, “How do you explain the things you love? You don’t, you just do.” I think that Gretchen was right to stop Dawson from making love with her, and my heart broke for both Dawson and Gretchen because she realized that despite his words to the contrary, Dawson still loved Joey, and a part of his heart was still with her, and he still couldn’t quite let her go. I also thought that Gretchen was right when she told Dawson that when they make love, it shouldn’t be because Dawson had something to prove to himself, but because they loved each other, and because they were prepared to show each other what that really meant. To me, though, I now feel that moment will never come, as the tears streamed down Gretchen’s face as she sat besides a sleeping Dawson, because it seems that at least on Dawson’s side, Drue’s comment that Dawson and Joey’s romantic relationship had wounded Dawson’s psyche and doomed all his future relationships seemed incredibly prophetic, and that saddens me immensely, because as much as I loved Dawson and Joey together, I’d hate to see Dawson deny himself the chance for happiness with a truly wonderful person, by clinging on to the “ghost” of someone, and something, that he only had for a fleeting moment. At this point, I say again, Dawson needs to let Joey go, before he ruins something really wonderful in his life.

My heart really broke for Pacey in this episode, as harsh reality set in for him, and he was forced to remain behind to take a test for a junior class while everyone else was enjoying “Senior Ditch Day.” People can argue all they want that Pacey had put himself in this present predicament, but I still felt bad for him, and I hope that someday he’ll find the strength within himself to persevere and become a success in whatever he sets his mind to do. As someone who’s going through a rough time in my life myself right now, I simply can not sit in judgment of a young man who’s going through a rough time in his life. I liked seeing Pacey and Drue bond a bit, but I couldn’t understand why the bar owner suddenly got so hostile with Drue and Pacey, and started closely questioning Pacey when he had initially welcomed them with open arms, but I guess the whole purpose of that scene was to set up the confrontation scene with Doug and Pacey, which I found to be a emotionally riveting scene as Pacey cried out in anguish and anger over how his life was turning out, and Doug’s embrace of Pacey was heart wrenching.

I absolutely loved Joey and Jen’s scenes in this episode, and it was so heartwarming to see them finally truly bond as friends. I really enjoyed seeing the wonder on Joey’s face as Jen showed her around New York, and I was touched that Joey stayed with Jen when Jen revealed that she wasn’t in New York to go see an admissions person at NYU, but to see her father, and Joey’s advice to Jen about confronting her father was heartfelt and true. I thought that Michelle’s performance in this episode was absolutely heartbreaking, as she first related to Joey how much she had loved her father as a child, and as she later confronted her father about her witnessing his sleeping with a neighbor of hers that Jen had adored, and how, at that moment, he took her innocence away from her forever. I really disliked Mr. Lindley from the moment I met him, but I did enjoy hearing his romantic narrative of New York, which was obviously meant to represent a metaphor for either Dawson and Joey’s romantic relationship, or Pacey and Joey’s romantic relationship (I lean towards the former, ) but no matter how you want to interpret it, it was a lovely description of what love is. As a side note, I thought that Katie Holmes looked breathtakingly lovely in this scene, and her eyes were nothing short of mesmerizing. I thought that the final confrontation scene between Jen and her father was heartbreaking but ultimately liberating for Jen, as she realized that she didn’t need to forgive her father or to extract a confession from him, but she needed to forgive herself, and in the final scene with Dr. Frost which brought tears to my eyes, she realized that she had the strength to do so. Bravo, Jen. One scene that also brought tears to my eyes was watching Joey anxiously await Jen’s arrival at Grand Central Station, and then embrace Jen when she saw her. A lot of us have been waiting for a scene like that between these two wonderful characters since Season One, so it was so wonderful to see Joey and Jen finally cross that emotional threshold and become true friends.

Overall, I think this was the best episode of Dawson’s Creek that I’ve watched this season, with bravura acting performances all around, and I hope that the writers and producers can match the standard they set tonight in future episodes.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Jerry! Its great to hear from you man. I have really missed reading what you had to say back when these eps first aired.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200
Jerry! Its great to hear from you man. I have really missed reading what you had to say back when these eps first aired.
Thanks Eric! I appreciate it! Between work, working out, and running this website, I don't have much time to post anymore, but I really loved this episode.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Total Fan

As much as i loved to watch Jen/Joey together i still think Joey've should stayed in Capeside ,been with Pacey and supported him.He needed her more than anyone.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry yes I do

I loved this eppy, the 2 girls in NY Jen finally confronted her father
Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghn
As much as i loved to watch Jen/Joey together i still think Joey've should stayed in Capeside ,been with Pacey and supported him.He needed her more than anyone.
I disagree cause Jen also needed someone to support her. And pacey was with Drue so it would near impossible for Joey to stay with Pacey.
JoshandChristinaCursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshandChristinaCursed
I disagree cause Jen also needed someone to support her. And pacey was with Drue so it would near impossible for Joey to stay with Pacey.
I agree Jen also need someone to be with her.But Joey wasn't the one that Jen needed the most.

On the other hand, even though it was impossible for Joey to stay with Pacey(which i disagree with that) it wasn't impossible for Joey to stay in Capeside *for* Pacey when he needed her support.Somehow, some way, she should've been there for him.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree Jen also need someone to be with her.But Joey wasn't the one that Jen needed the most.
Just because Joey wasn't Jen's "girlfriend" in a romantic sense doesn't mean that Jen didn't need Joey the most. Also, with Jack not even in the episode nor grams nor Pacey who was in school nor Dawson nor Gretchen, who else would Jen turn to? She could go by herself but she needed some support, Joey was there.

Quote:
On the other hand, even though it was impossible for Joey to stay with Pacey(which i disagree with that) it wasn't impossible for Joey to stay in Capeside *for* Pacey when he needed her support.Somehow, some way, she should've been there for him.
No offense but why should Joey stay in Capeside just because of Pacey? I mean, why can't Joey go out with a friend? Actually, I recall Pacey also being out with Drue so the same thing could be said about Pacey. Joey is an 18 year old woman who can make her own choices. Not hanging out with a friend just because of your boyfriend is borderline sexist if you ask me, not to mention, controlling. Yes, Pacey needed Joey but Pacey is not the only person in Joey's life. Joey is allowed to be there for OTHER people not just her boyfriend no matter how bad his problem is. Jen had her demons to deal with and with Joey there, she had enough support.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshandChristinaCursed
Just because Joey wasn't Jen's "girlfriend" in a romantic sense doesn't mean that Jen didn't need Joey the most. Also, with Jack not even in the episode nor grams nor Pacey who was in school nor Dawson nor Gretchen, who else would Jen turn to? She could go by herself but she needed some support, Joey was there.
This has nothing do with being girlfriend or being friend.When did Jen need Joey that much? Jen needed *someone* to be with her.I totally understand that.It could be Jack or Grams or Joey.I have no problem with that.It's not the point.My point is Pacey didn't need *someone*.he needed Joey and she couldn't help him.That's the difference.

Quote:
No offense but why should Joey stay in Capeside just because of Pacey? I mean, why can't Joey go out with a friend? Actually, I recall Pacey also being out with Drue so the same thing could be said about Pacey. Joey is an 18 year old woman who can make her own choices. Not hanging out with a friend just because of your boyfriend is borderline sexist if you ask me, not to mention, controlling. Yes, Pacey needed Joey but Pacey is not the only person in Joey's life. Joey is allowed to be there for OTHER people not just her boyfriend no matter how bad his problem is. Jen had her demons to deal with and with Joey there, she had enough support.
Again this has nothing to do with going out with a friend either.Joey should stay in Capeside because her boyfriend was in a huge trouble in the school.Even Joey herself said whatever is the problem *they* are gonna fix it.She knew the Pacey's problem.She knew he needed her help because he told her in the begining of the season.(Falling Down) But she didn't stay to help him anyway.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

Okay, its not like Joey was out for 10 weeks. It was only ONE day! I really don't think Joey can FIX Pacey's problem in one day! I really don't understand where you are coming from! Also, Pacey isn't the ONLY person who has issues, she has issues, her friends have issues so I don't understand why Pacey's issues mean MORE than hers nor Jen's.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Okay, its not like Joey was out for 10 weeks. It was only ONE day! I really don't think Joey can FIX Pacey's problem in one day! I really don't understand where you are coming from! Also, Pacey isn't the ONLY person who has issues, she has issues, her friends have issues so I don't understand why Pacey's issues mean MORE than hers nor Jen's.
word. totally agree

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread