Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Extreme Fan

He did not just save Pacey and Jen though he did alot of great stuff this season. He had moved along from season 3 in this season he was really growing up. My opinion this was his best season as a person and I feel in this season everyone grew but he grew the most.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLovePJer
One moment of Dawson playing the hero does not add up to all of the selfish acts he exemplified throughout the series.
Life is a series of stumbles and redemptions, especially teenage life. It's a show about teenagers, and teenagers will act selfishly. Dawson was not the only character who acted selfishly. Every single character on the show did at some point. And, the way I see it, Dawson wasn't "playing the hero," he was their last hope. He was the only one who knew where they'd be and so he did what he had to do.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Elite Fan

Agree eatyourgreens. If we decided to enumerate the times the other characters acted selfishly, they would not be so far from Dawson. Everybody made mistakes and had to deal with the consequences of their actions.
I don't think Dawson was playing the hero. He didn't think, he just acted to try to save Pacey and Jen and so did Joey.
So I don't think the point of this episode was to highlight Dawson, but emphasize the relationship of Pacey and Dawson...

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Here's what I wrote about this episode at the time that it aired:

I really enjoyed this episode, as each character, with one glaring exception, faced certain truths about themselves and each other in a time of extreme peril, and Dawson Leery emerged as a true hero, putting aside his hurt and unresolved anger towards his former best friend to save the life of Pacey Witter and Jen Lindley. I can not say enough about how noble I thought Dawson was, but I also can not say enough about how selfish and ungrateful I thought Joey was, and the maturity that I thought she had gained over the summer was wiped away in this episode, as she proved, once again, that she has absolutely no regard for the feelings of the one person who’s not only always been there for her, but who’s always been there for Pacey as well.

I liked the allusions to the play “The Two Gentleman if Verona” in the beginning of the episode, as it illustrated the vast differences in the attitudes of Dawson and Joey concerning everything that had transpired the previous spring. I don’t blame Dawson at all for chortling at Joey’s attitude towards this play, and the obvious parallels in their lives, as she defended “Proteus” AKA Pacey for the betrayal he had perpetrated on “Valentine,” AKA Dawson. I thought that her derisive comment about “Valentine” shows me that she has no apparent respect for Dawson and the sacrifice he made because he loved her, as she basically excused everything that Pacey did, while Dawson made it very obvious that he still isn’t over the sense of hurt and betrayal he felt at Pacey’s hands. I really hated Joey’s lack of consideration for Dawson’s feelings, and how she viewed him, like “Valentine,” as “this cardboard cutout hero, while she viewed Pacey, like “Proteus,” as being “unfairly painted as a villain.” I really got incensed when Joey scoffingly talked about “Valentine” being so fixated on his honor that he totally loses sight of everything else around him, which, to me, perfectly summed up her attitude towards Dawson. Later on in the episode, I liked the way that Drew, who is quickly emerging as a male Abby Morgan with his derisive but deadly accurate comments, referred to the sexual tension between Dawson and Joey as being akin to the situation in Star Wars, as “Princess Joey,” having tired of the non-threatening nice guy Dawson “Luke Skywalker” Leery, was “smack dab in the middle of her “ bad boy stage,” and had fallen to the rakish charms of Pacey “Han Solo” Witter. I thought that truer words were never spoken in this statement, and it seems that Drew has replaced Season One Pacey as Joey’s sparring partner and antagonist, as he, like Pacey, has the ability to see through Joey’s façade and call her on her hypocrisy. I hated the fact that Joey acted apologetic when she told Pacey that she couldn’t go sailing with him because she had to work on an assignment with Dawson, and I simply don't like her attitude towards Dawson. At this point, I really don’t care if Dawson ever gets back together with Joey, because he deserves someone far better than this incredibly self absorbed and ungrateful person. It really galled me at the end that she couldn’t even offer a simple thank you to Dawson for everything that he had done, and instead focused completely on Pacey, while poor Dawson was forced to witness the entire scene.

I liked the interaction between Andie and Jack, and the loving devotion that they have towards one another. I really loved Andie in this episode, as she not only courageously stood up to the unspeakably cruel and sneeringly condescending attitude that Mrs. Valentine had towards her mental illness, but she found the inner strength to take charge of the situation when the storm hit the Capeside Yacht club, and demonstrate the leadership abilities that she has in such abundance. I thought that in doing this, Andie truly proved, as she so eloquently said, that her mental illness was just one part of her life, and that it didn’t define her as a person. I think the wonderful example that Andie set in this episode sends such a positive message out to anyone who has ever dealt with a mental illness, and it’s one of the most positive statements that Dawson’s Creek has ever made about a condition that affects millions of young people. I loved how at the end of the episode both Andie and Jack both stood up to this judgmental snob, and they made it clear that they didn’t want or need her recommendation.

I was touched by Pacey and Jen’s conversation as the storm worsened and all seemed hopeless, but I was saddened when Jen said she had never been in love, although it seems like the writers have conveniently forgotten when Jen told Abby in Season Two that she loved Dawson. I was very happy in this scene when Pacey finally overcame his pride and dropped his mask of false bravado to finally admit that he regretted the way that things were between him and Dawson right now, and I think this represented an important breakthrough on the show.

I also thought it was wonderful that Dawson overcame his own pride and put himself in danger to get Pacey off his sinking boat, saying that “people care more about him than that damn boat,” and I thought it was so fitting that Pacey knew that Dawson would know where he was, and that he would come to their rescue. To me, Dawson’s actions were the actions of a true friend, and we saw in his actions the making of a true hero. I was saddened to see Pacey watch his boat, and his dreams, sink, but I was glad that Joey, in one of the few complimentary things she said about Dawson, told Pacey that Dawson was a part of him, and that he wouldn’t be complete until he made amends with Dawson.

I loved the scenes with Jen and Grams, both in the beginning, when Grams tried to convince Jen to get over her hurt feelings concerning Henry, and later, when Grams broke down and told Jen how afraid she had been in a wonderfully emotional scene that once again showed the love that this very special grandmother and granddaughter have for one another. I also loved it when Grams told off that crusty old Mr. Brooks, and showed that wonderful spirit that we’ve come to love in this beloved character. I see trouble brewing ahead for Jen though, as she renewed her acquaintance with the unctuous Drew, who she apparently knew from her “wild days” in New York. I thought that Drew further proved himself to be a lying schemer in this episode, giving Dawson the keys to Mr. Brook’s boat, and then telling Mr. Brooks and his mother that Dawson and Joey had taken the boat, and not telling them the part he had played in helping them find a boat to rescue Pacey and Jen.

To me, the highlight of this episode was the wonderful scene between Dawson and Mitch, as Mitch saw the anguish on his son’s face as he had to witness the selfish and ungrateful Joey, who didn’t even have the courtesy to thank Dawson for saving her boyfriend’s life, embrace Pacey and completely ignore him, and he comforted Dawson with words that were touching and true. I thought that Mitch was completely correct when he told Dawson that he got something more important than getting the girl, or a thank you, he got a moment that no matter where his life takes him, he could look back on and know that he did a great thing, and that was something all the girls and all the thank you’s couldn’t replace. That scene brought tears to my eyes, and I felt so bad for Dawson in that instance, and so grateful that his father was there for him.

I really loved the scene between Pacey and Dawson at the end, and I’m glad that Pacey expressed how sorry he was for everything that had happened the previous spring, and that he expressed that he missed their friendship, and that Dawson reacted to this apology in a mature manner, showing so much emotion in his eyes. To me, Pacey’s expression of regret was genuine and heartfelt, and you could tell it was difficult for him to do that, but I was so glad that he did.

Overall, enjoyed this episode, but it convinced me all the more that right now, Dawson Leery would be better off keeping his distance from Joey Potter, because right now, she doesn’t deserve either his love or his friendship.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking back, I was way too harsh on Joey, because I feel now that her concern for the boy she loved properly outweighed any concern that she should have had for the feelings of her friend, but what can I say? I was a die-hard D/Jer back then, and I tended to put much of the blame on Joey because my favorite couple wasn't together. I was wrong to do that, but I do enjoy looking back at what I wrote then to reflect on how much my views have changed, or haven't changed in some instances.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:26 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200
Man that was a pretty harsh post on Dawson. You must really hate him to go that far.
Hate is such a strong word. I never viewed Dawson's Creek to be anything more than a shmaltzy teenage soap opera, so I didn't care enough about the Forehead to really hate him. It got tiresome watching a bunch of talentless hacks push their misogynistic viewpoints on a weekly basis, especially through the "golden god." The show was about much more than a twisted childhood friendship that developed into an obsessive and manipulative relationship. It's just sad that the writers had to constantly come back to the same tiresome storyline over the years. Too much was sacrificed at the altar of Dawson and Joey. It didn't have to be that way. It blows my mind that this show was centered around the most boring, uninteresting, selfish and manipulative character on the Creek. JVDB couldn't hold a candle to the talent and charm of Josh Jackson.

Last edited by juliahex; 04-11-2005 at 09:32 PM
juliahex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Jerry I also loved that Mitch/Dawson scene alot. I loved all the Father/Son scenes.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I was a die-hard D/Jer back then, and I tended to put much of the blame on Joey because my favorite couple wasn't together.
I think a lot of us are guilty of that at times. I love reading your posts Jerry.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Yeah Jerry those old posts just rock.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Let me say this, this episode, sort of reedemed dawson back to who he was in the begining and I like that, the fact no matter how hurt he was about the pacey and joey he still would have been the kind of friend that he always was, he had to swallow of alot of his pride to do what he did, and wwe all know thats never easy. I didnt like he gave pacey the cold sholder, but i did like the fact that he knew where pacey was out of instinct.

Now I thought joey was pretty shallow for not even thanking dawson for what he did, it just felt like she had to force him to save pacey and yet didnt even say thank you. That was one of things that bugged me the most about joey.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Now I thought joey was pretty shallow for not even thanking dawson for what he did, it just felt like she had to force him to save pacey and yet didnt even say thank you. That was one of things that bugged me the most about joey.
I think Joey was more preoccupied with Pacey wanting to risk his life that she didn't think to thank him. It's not like Dawson thanked Joey. Joey was out there too. Why is she shallow? I don't remember Jen thanking Dawson either. Nobody calls her shallow

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Elite Fan

The focus of the episode was Dawson and Pacey, so I don't think Jen or Joey were shallow, it just wasn't showed in order to center the scenes in D/P.

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Master Fan

Looking back I think this episode was kind of predictable. One of the main early season 4 aim's was redeeming Dawson's character from season 3 and this episode layed it on thick. Of course it was a very courageous and worthy thing of Dawson to go after his friends in the storm, but what exactly happened after? Shouldn't the situation have taught both Pacey and Dawson how important their friendship was and shouldnt the last scene have gone SO much differently than it did. It just seems that after such an event it would be the turning point in Pacey and Dawson's falling out, I simply didnt see the point of having Dawson still turn a cold shoulder to Pacey. If there really was a friendship there at all that would've been the rebuilding of it. I think that was the point where I started to really decide that I could care less if Dawson or Pacey even spoke ever again. How much could you possible pile on to the list of "Things Dawson has to hold over Paceys head" after all? I dont see why Dawson's reaction was the way it was.

Other than that, good episode. I loved Andie's part in it and to be honest from early season 3 onward I think they did a really good job of storylines for Andie post-Pacey for almost a season and a half, I could see how in mid season 4 they decided getting rid of her would be best, she had such tertiary stories.

Loved the Jen/Pacey interaction as well. I think Jen and Pacey had one of the healthiest friendships on the show. It was casual, it was comfortable and it was completely unforced.

Joey and Pacey were sweet as well. I genuinely think that although Joey had a few issues with Dawson or whomever and although she may have always kept one eye elsewhere in her realtionship with Pacey when she said things like she said to Pacey at the end of this episode she really, really meant it.

And this was also the introduction of Mr. Brooks whom I liked but am a bit bitter about in hindsight because his purpose on Dawsons Creek was pretty hideous in the end, Joeys ticket to college through Dawson and he was forgotten.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Extreme Fan

Dawson was still upset at this point I wish things would have been different but sadly what Pacey said to Dawson in True Love about things ever gonna be the same and Dawson said NO is true and held up till the end of the series. I think it's sad. I wish the show even in season 5 maybe after his dad died could have tried to have them be real friends again.

Sugz did you really think they gave Andie good stuff?

Last edited by COOLCAT200; 04-12-2005 at 11:43 AM
COOLCAT200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Extreme Fan

Ahhhh double post!
''
Old 04-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Sugz did you really think they gave Andie good stuff?
(I'm not Sugz, but...) Aside from the hair style in S3, I don't think it was bad at all. They focused so much on her mental health in S2 and I think that in S3 they wanted to focus more on her rebuilding her life. Stumbling a bit, but ultimately pulling through and becoming stronger.

I loved her friendship with Pacey from the end of S3 onwards. Even though she still loved him and was heartbroken when she found out about P/J, she relaized that he wasn't in love with her anymore and she could either be bitter and possibly lose him altogether or she could deal with it and move on. And she decided that having him as a friend was better than nothing. I just loved how they were there for each other in episodes like "The Anti-Prom", "You Had Me At Goodbye" and "The Graduate".

As for episode 4.03, I really liked it. I know it was basically and over-dramatic and pretty unrealistic episode, but it was a 'fun' ride.

I was glad that Joey kinda stood up to Dawson in the beginning. She had been so worried about offending him or hurting him when it came to the whole triangle situation, but she was prepared to stand up for her opinion and for Pacey. She was honest with Dawson and I was glad about that.

I liked the Pacey/Jen interaction through out the episode, also. Jen is great.

JEN: Pacey, the boats gonna capsize!
PACEY: She's not gonna capsize, alright?
JEN: Really?! Then why am I flat on my ass?!

One of my favorite lines in the episode. Along with Joey's "thinking for two" line and Grams' "shrivelled old butt" line.

Andie telling off Mrs. Valentine was great. That woman needed a good bitch slap.

Joey calling out to Pacey and then they just lock eyes and he knows he can't leave her...

But I hate that last shot of True Love as it drifts away. That torch light flowing over it as it goes, and Pacey is just devastated... it's so sad.
Holly Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread