Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I don't think you can't just take incidents out of context and then call them calculating in the way that you mean. I think you have to take the situation as a whole. You forget Joey asked him to give her space which he did and then when she found out he was going away for the summer she was the one who approached him and accused him of running away and giving up on them, which was a bit rich considering,but I digress, so even if his actions can be considered manipulative he only did what he did because she forced the issue with her accusations. I mean if he'd made the same jesture without her initial imput then I could understand the accusation.
I totally agree with you coldwater! And Dawson trying to win Joey's affection by nearly killing Pacey and Will in the Capeside Regatta and then at the "Anti-Prom" where he basically forced the issue upon her and told her she HAD to choose is a bit different than Pacey putting his feelings on a wall and letting her make the decision for herself.

Pacey and Joey

Proud NikitaWitter Avie User
TrueLovePJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Extreme Fan

I am not trying to compare though it's clear anything Dawson did was more extreme especially in the boat race.

Joey:I know that there's a part of me that will be in love with you for the rest of my life.
Dawson and Joey
COOLCAT200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And Dawson trying to win Joey's affection by nearly killing Pacey and Will in the Capeside Regatta and then at the "Anti-Prom" where he basically forced the issue upon her and told her she HAD to choose is a bit different than Pacey putting his feelings on a wall and letting her make the decision for herself.
I totally agree TrueLovePJer.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Ok that may be true but he was the one leaving not her and was in a sense forcing the issue as well for her to make a choice in this ep for her to give him a reason to stay. He still set that situation up so she would see that'' Ask Me To Stay Thing'' and he wanted Joey.
But I don't see how. He was going to leave without telling her, which may have been cowardly or hurtful to her after the fact, but how exactly was he going to force the issue to get her to ask him to stay if as far as he knew she didn't even know he was leaving?

My point was if she hadn't confronted him outside the store and accused him of giving up on them he wouldn't have made the sign. He would have just given up on her and left without a word so I'm not sure what situation he set up? If anything she was the one who forced the issue and then backpeddled again when he called her bluff. But I think this is getting off the point of the thread so I'll leave it until the actual epsiode rolls around.

Last edited by coldwater1010; 02-24-2005 at 10:56 AM
coldwater1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I totally agree TrueLovePJer
Thanks jopace

Pacey and Joey

Proud NikitaWitter Avie User
TrueLovePJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Extreme Fan

But I am talking about after her talk with Pacey in True Love. Doing the Wall Thing just forced the issue even more because it made her have to deal with the fact the man she was in love with was leaving for 3 months and it caused her to be even more conflicted I think and that's why I think she was so upset doing her dance with Dawson because she did not want to lose her friendship with Dawson but on the other hand the guy who she wanted to be with was leaving.

Joey:I know that there's a part of me that will be in love with you for the rest of my life.
Dawson and Joey
Old 02-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
But I am talking about after her talk with Pacey in True Love. Doing the Wall Thing just forced the issue even more because it made her have to deal with the fact the man she was in love with was leaving for 3 months and it caused her to be even more conflicted I think and that's why I think she was so upset doing her dance with Dawson because she did not want to lose her friendship with Dawson but on the other hand the guy who she wanted to be with was leaving.
That may have been true, but that doesn't really change the fact that she forced the issue first and that he was responding to that. So if he was being manipulative then let's face it so was she by being disingenuous when she accused him of giving up on them just because he'd decided to get away from the situation for the summer instead of sticking around while she kept him dangling.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Extreme Fan

She did accuse him of that but he brought up a great point in that the choice to be together or not as always been hers. But you are right I guess they all were manipulative in some way.

Dawson and Joey
Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
But you are right I guess they all were manipulative in some way.
That wasn't really my point though. My point was I don't believe just because someone isn't motivated entirely by selflessness that doesn't automatically makes their actions deliberately manipulative or sinsister in the way that some people seem to mean sometimes. That I think you have to look at the situation as a whole and not just the individual event before you can make that assessment. Otherwise pretty much everything we do unless it can be considered purely unselfish is manipulative.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Master Fan

But Paceys actions in True Love werent secret, he didnt do one thing with underlying intentions, he wrote a message clear as day on a wall for Joey to see, plain and simple, he didnt set up an elaborate event under the guise of one thing to get Joey to do another, completly ignoring her personal wishes.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Until we get to the next episode I will just leave at what I said for now.

Dawson and Joey
Old 02-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200
But what about in True Love how Pacey set up Joey to stop by the wall and see the ''Ask Me To Stay Thing''?.
We were talking about Stolen Kisses and in particular, Jerry's post that I was responding to.

Does ignoring my post and the reasons I've given to prove Pacey wasn't being calculating in SK mean you agree with me and therefore need to jump to a completely didfferent situation and episode to still tar him as calculating? Or does it mean you don't agree for whatever reason? It would be nice to actually read people's reasons as to exactly how Pacey was calculationg in SK.
Does anyone think it was a calculated act to come along on a trip to Aunt Gwens's to 'pursue' Joey, if so what did he actually do to pursue her or did he deliberately leave the karaoke singing to force Joey to follow him out? If so, how would he have known she'd follow him?

It's frustrating when you're told a character is this or that but no actual examples are given. Jerry, you said you 'didn’t like the calculated way that Pacey “got to Joey” in this episode.' Well, how exactly did he get to her and do you really think Joey is that malleable? I don't because in the next ep we see that Joey is very adamant about what she doesn't want (Dawson with romantic intentions towards her) about what she's going to do, (try to stay out of it completely and give up Pacey so things might get back to normal). I know you're not a big fan of Joey's Jerry, and maybe you're doing her an injustice here if you think she allowed Pacey to calculatingly manipulate her. Which I don't see any evidence of in this ep. Although, Dawson did try to manipulate her and we saw how much that did work on her - up to a point.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Master Fan

I hope by saying "getting to Joey" that didnt mean the way Pacey drew her out because that certainly wasnt calculating, he was drawing her true feelings out, hemade her face facts that otherwise she'd never face up to, is it considered calculating because it drew her away from Dawson?

*confused*
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Extreme Fan

Jaycee I did not mean to ignore the post you made as you are right I disagree with some of the points on Pacey being calculating but I think he was clear as he admitted the only reason he came was because of Joey. Sure maybe he was not planning on Kissing her but maybe he thought something could happen. If he had not gone he knew surly nothing would have happened. He admitted he could not get rid of his feelings for Joey so he had to be hoping on the trip something would maybe happen(maybe). Take into the fact it was Dawson's Aunt house and there was a good chance Dawson or Andie could have easily scene him kiss her I just don't think it was a smart move.

Sugz he might of been getting her feelings out but he still did set up the situation for Joey to see the wall. Had he not called Bessie would Joey of gone by there? probably not. At least not that night and Pacey was leaving and needed her to see it.

Dawson and Joey

Last edited by COOLCAT200; 02-25-2005 at 09:38 AM
Old 02-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Take into the fact it was Dawson's Aunt house and there was a good chance Dawson or Andie could have easily scene him kiss her I just don't think it was a smart move.
Well being dumb and irresponsible isn't really the same as being calculated. And that still doesn't say that he went there with the intention of kissing her or even thinking they would get together. Obviously he wanted to be with her and be near her, but it's still possible to have all those feelings and those wishes and still not expect anything will come of it. It happens all the time.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top