Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Absolute Fan

Episode Discussion # 318 - "Neverland"

Pacey and Joey's impulsive kiss throws them both into moral and emotional chaos. While Joey feels that Pacey has seriously endangered their already complicated friendship, Pacey worries that he may have completely betrayed Dawson. Secretly hoping to secure Dawson's blessing on a possible Pacey-Joey union, Pacey takes him camping to remind him of their long-standing friendship. When Buzz, Pacey's bratty "little brother" (played by Jonathan Lipnicki of Jerry Maguire), crashes their woodland weekend, Pacey and Dawson are reminded of the value of their friendship and the magic of being a kid.

Meanwhile, when Jack's crush, Ethan, comes to visit for the weekend, tensions between Jack and his dad finally hit critical mass. Also, with the boys otherwise occupied, Jen, Joey and Andie cook up a hilarious slumber party.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Pace & Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Extreme Fan

I really enjoyed "Neverland" when it aired and more so now watching it on my DVDs and TBS. First off, I loved how they started the episode right where they left off...with the KISS! And it was so obvious Joey was into it, but she freaked out of course and Pacey was all confused by her reaction cuz he thought it was a good kiss and she was accusing him of having a "meltdown". It was funny. I also liked that the girls FINALLY hung out together without the boys and the fact that Joey confided in Jen. I thought that conversation was the most important part of the episode cuz Jen called Joey out on the "if it came out of nowhere, than why am I not surprised". I feel for the full effect, I must post the conversation:

Quote:
Joey: (Joey peeks around the corner to make sure Andie can't hear) I was talking to Bessie the other day, and she told me to talk to somebody about this, and I can't believe I'm telling you, but... Pacey kissed me the other day.

Jen: Yeah, I figured this thing would come to a head sooner or later.

Joey: Nothing came to a head. There is no thing. I'm just freaked out and angry, and I don't understand why he would do something like this. I mean, it came out of nowhere.

Jen: Well, if it came out of nowhere, than how come I'm not surprised? You should ask yourself Joey, if this is really nothing, than why are you so upset and confused?
And my favorite moment of this episode was the VERRRRYYYY last scene after Pacey and Joey agree the kiss meant nothing and it was a mistake and he leaves with Buzz. I love how Joey walks out of the store and watches Pacey go cuz from that moment on, I KNEW she felt the same way, but was too afraid to admit it.

Pacey and Joey

Proud NikitaWitter Avie User
TrueLovePJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Elite Fan

word truelove P. I love how Jen called her out on it. I notice how when Joey is talking to Bessie in the beginning, she says who am I going to talk to Pacey, Dawson, Andie. Bessie says you have to talk to someone. Joey ended up talking to Jen. Something else I notice is when the girls are skating, Andie talks about how Pacey use to giver her this look when he was in love with her and Joey has this expression on her face like she knows what Andie's talking about

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:38 AM
Loyal Fan

I love this episode, especially the beginning bit when Joey and Pacey have the fight, its sooooo funny Also love the girls' bonding, and Joey confiding in Jen.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Extreme Fan

This episode was the beginning of something coming to an end...... Dawson and Paceys friendship sadly. I felt bad for both Dawson and Pacey in this one. Seeing Dawson finding the blood brother oath and talking about how glad he is to have Pacey and Joey in his life just made me feel bad for him not knowing what was going on behind his back. I felt bad for Pacey also because hearing Dawson speak highly of him knowing he kissed Joey could not have been easy. It makes me sad because of what Pacey say's to Doug ''He's the brother I never had''.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

I think Neverland was a sad episode for both Dawson and Pacey, knowingly or not, but it was also an episode that heavily marked the fact that these boys were growing up. They were no longer a coupleof kids camping anymore, they were no longer cast inthe roles, as Pacey said, that Dawson had cast them in as kids and apparently Dawson was still in that place so what was to follow was obviously to be a rude awakening for him. I also think really think that saying anything was going on behind Dawsons back is really premature here. To say that Pacey and Joey kissing should be grouped as "behind Dawsons back" as if it were being done on purpose to hurt him is ridiclous unless you truly believe every action anyone took on Dawson's Creek was Dawson Leery's business. First and foremost whatever went on between Joey and Pacey was their business and would it be fair to say that before even Joey and Pacey could figure out what was going on they should involve Dawson? No way. Thats literally ending something before it ever started.

I love the last scene in this episode above all though, it's underlying message is so contradictory to what it established, that Pacey and Joey were just friends when it's obvious they were so much more. Also, Katie looked probably the best she's ever lookedon the show in this scene.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Extreme Fan

What I meant by what was going on behind on Dawson's back I meant P/J falling in love not just the kiss. It was pretty clear for me Pacey was in love and Joey say's in True Love she was as well. I said it because I never thought Dawson stopped loving Joey and his 2 two best friends were falling in love and he has no idea as he was off looking at empty walls. I also feel Pacey deep down knew Dawson still loved her and that's why even in this episode he is so conflicted and even after P/J kiss the first thing Joey is concerned about is Dawson so in a way he was involved because he was best friends with both and still in love with the woman Pacey fell in love with.

Last edited by COOLCAT200; 02-14-2005 at 04:47 PM
COOLCAT200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I also feel Pacey deep down knew Dawson still loved her and that's why even in this episode he is so conflicted
I don't think Pacey felt this way at all. And I don't think Dawson was still in love with her either. When Pacey and Dawson were having the conversation at the campfire, Dawson was talking about his friendships with Pacey and Joey. He stressed the friendship aspect, so as far as I'm concerned, there was no romantic implication when it came to Joey. It was only AFTER he found out about Pacey and Joey that he was like oh wait, she's mine! Which goes with Joey saying "You only want me when you can't have me". And the only thing Pacey may have felt guilty about was the fact that Dawson was stuck in this fantasy world, where nothing has changed since he and Pacey took that oath, but in reality, things were changing, that's life, and Pacey knew Dawson was scared to death of this concept.

Quote:
his 2 two best friends were falling in love and he has no idea as he was off looking at empty walls.
I forgot, Pacey and Joey were out to destroy the world by falling in love. Silly me.

Quote:
the first thing Joey is concerned about is Dawson
Again, cuz Joey knows, just as well as Pacey, that Dawson is scared of change.

Pacey and Joey

Proud NikitaWitter Avie User
TrueLovePJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200
What I meant by what was going on behind on Dawson's back I meant P/J falling in love not just the kiss. It was pretty clear for me Pacey was in love and Joey say's in True Love she was as well. I said it because I never thought Dawson stopped loving Joey and his 2 two best friends were falling in love and he has no idea as he was off looking at empty walls.

BUt at this point, in Neverland, there's no way either Pacey or Joey were thinking "We're in love, poor Dawson, he has no clue". IN fact, they decided at the end of the episode that the entire thing was a mistake. I really dont see how you can consider anything going on behind Dawsons back before even Pacey or JOey really understood the situation. And Joey may have been in love at this point but she certainly didnt realize it and Pacey, of course, was willing to give up his love for Joey for the likes of Dawson. It just really makes zero sense to me that even in later episode people can accuse Joey and Pacey of doing anything behind Dawsons back, let alone as early as Neverland.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

This was a cute episode. I liked the fact that the girls had a sleepover together and that D/P visited their younger years together.

I think my favorite thing is the first 5 minutes of the show. I just love all that banter between them and all that raw emotion. I also love the fact that Joey IS kissing Pacey back, and she's clearly enjoying it because when he finally breaks away she looks all dreamy and out of it. I also love "Well excuse me while I get in the car!" and "Would you get in the car Joey!" hehe. Of course the end scene is sooo angsty and perfectly placed. My heart breaks a little for Pacey right there.

Hey, I know what comes after this episode. hehe, and if I do say so myself, it's a very great episode.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLovePJer
I forgot, Pacey and Joey were out to destroy the world by falling in love. Silly me.
I never ever said or meant this. Sure they are allowed to explore there feelings without Dawson knowing all I was saying was Dawson was involved sort of because he still loved Joey. Also on Dawson loving Joey I knew the whole season he was not over her and still loved her but the problem is he has a way of his dreaminess causing problems for him because I really do feel as he said in Escape from Witch Island he and Joey would find there way back and I think he believed that and even before Dawson found out about P/J it was obvious his feelings were still there for Joey with the talk in the barn they had in Stolen Kiss's and I am pretty sure when his Aunt told him to close his eyes he saw Joey. As for Pacey the reason I feel deep down he knew Dawson still loved Joey was because he was the one person who knew Dawson not taking Joey back at the top of season 3 was not about love but about Dawson feeling now was not the right time. Even his talk with Jen in TLD showed me he knew but I will get to the TLD when we get to that ep. That's partly why I feel he was nerves about telling Dawson and yes change was a part of it as well unlike with A.J love was involved with P/J. SUGZ I think maybe I should have worded my post different because I did not mean P/J were doing anything wrong all I really meant was Dawson did not know and being that I believed he still loved her and Pacey kissing her down line ending up causing a chain of events that later did effect Dawson.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Here's what I wrote about this episode when it aired:

I must say that I rather enjoyed this episode for the most part, mostly because there was more of a balance in the stories presented, as the episode focused, for the first time in quite some time on almost all of the major characters.

Obviously, the main focus of this episode was on the aftermath of the fateful kiss of Pacey and Joey, as the door was left open for a plethora of confused feelings on the part of Joey Potter as Pacey Witter finally expressed how he felt about her. Joey’s reaction to this kiss was understandable and not surprising, and her words echoed, and confirmed, Pacey’s statement to Doug in a previous episode that this could have a devastating effect on the delicate balance in their world, a world, that Pacey so accurately put it, that Dawson Leery had “created” and allowed them to live in. I also thought that Pacey’s immediate backtracking was completely realistic, and his attempt to deny his feelings at the end of the episode was sad and touching. I think it was amusing to see how they each related the story of their kiss to their respective siblings, in a sequence reminiscent of how Dawson and Joey related the story of their kiss in the beginning of Season Two. Obviously though, the stage has been set for an angst filled series of future episodes as both Pacey and Joey agonize over their feelings, giving the fans of both couples plenty of “ammunition” in the continuing “couples wars.” . I think both Pacey and Joey conveyed a wealth of feeling in their expressions as they struggled to understand what had transpired between them as the Season Three love triangle carries on in its inexorable way. I also feel that things will undoubtedly come to a head in a cliffhanger at the end of the season.

I really didn’t like the way that Henry lied to Jen about his birthday plans, and I thought that it showed once again how mismatched and unequal their relationship is. I think that Henry, on many levels, really doesn’t know Jen or appreciate her capacity for understanding, and I don’t think he possesses the maturity to deserve someone like her.

One aspect of this episode that really rang false for me was all the scenes between Andie, Joey, and Jen, as their attempt at “female bonding,” spurred on at Andie’s incredibly annoying insistence, come across as forced, phony, and completely spurious. If you compare the friendship of Liz and Maria on Roswell to any female “friendship” on Dawson’s Creek, and I think you’ll see that Dawson’s Creek does an incredibly poor job in portraying any friendship among the female characters. I also was dismayed that Joey rejected, once again, at least initially, Jen’s attempt to reach out to her, and even when she finally did confide in Jen about the situation with Pacey, it was with a backhanded compliment, when she said “I can’t believe I’m telling you this.” I also thought having the three of them go to a roller rink in pajamas and boas was incredibly ludicrous, although all three actresses looked quite stunning with their hairstyles and makeup, so I can’t complain from that end!

I was glad to see Ethan again, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the smugness that had marked his earlier appearances had disappeared. I also thought that Ethan offered Jack some very good advice concerning his relationship with his father. I thought that Ethan was completely correct when he said that both Jack and his father were victims, and that Jack needed to let go of his anger before it was too late. I was really touched by the scenes between Jack and his father, and while I understood Jack’s burning resentment towards the way he had been treated, I also thought it was wrong for Jack to treat his father so harshly when he was making a real effort to reach out to him. I was really happy at the end though, when Jack, taking his friend’s words to heart, reached out and communicated with his father, and the walls of anger and resentment that had kept them apart for so long at long last began to crumble away, and I was very moved at the end when they played chess and smiled at one another. I really think that the best stories presented this season are the stories involving Jack, which in some ways is really a shame, because if the writers put as much thought and care into the stories involving the other characters as they do in the stories involving Jack, we’d have a much better show to watch every week.

I was both touched and saddened by the relationship between Dawson and Pacey as they “paid homage to their swiftly disappearing childhood” by going camping by their old fort, something that both recalled their long history together, and also reflected how much things had changed. I felt bad for both Pacey and Dawson as Pacey seemed crushed by the guilt of his feelings for Joey, as Dawson referred to Pacey as pure loyalty, and he referred to Joey as his conscience, his soul mate, and his inspiration, and that he would be lost without them. Pacey seemed overwhelmed by guilt as Dawson remained, as always, blissfully unaware of what was going on around him, seemingly assured of the deeply rooted relationship he had with both Pacey and Joey, not realizing that the “fantastic world” that he had created and “allowed Pacey and Joey to live in” (in Pacey’s words) was about to come crashing down. To me, the writers have created a tragedy of epic proportions by forging ahead with this love triangle, as something very special in these young lives will soon be altered forever.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode, but it seemed filled with foreboding of unhappy events to come for the characters we all care about so much.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Extreme Fan

'Neverland' was the first episode I was on set for! I remember it being so exciting. I watched Josh and Dylan film 2 scenes. Walking down the street and the breakfast scene. I had a copy of the script and it was so hard to keep my mouth shut that Pacey kissed Joey!
Dawsonfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I watched Josh and Dylan film 2 scenes.
Lucky you!

Quote:
I had a copy of the script and it was so hard to keep my mouth shut that Pacey kissed Joey!
I bet!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Absolute Fan

The was the episode we had to wait about 6 six weeks for. It felt like forever. And I remember telling my friend after Cinderella Story that even though it ended with a kiss, they probably wouldn't get together in the next episode anyway. Which they didn't.

What a great opening scene though and it finally pushed this story ahead for a great run at the end of season 3. Ah, the days before I was spoiled! Actually, this episode is what caused me to go in search of spoilers for DC!

Kim