Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Absolute Fan

Episode Discussion # 315- "Crime and Punishment"

Joey is proud to have finished her mural for the school and Pacey is the only one to get an advance peak at her work. At the official unveiling, however, jaws drop along with the cloth that reveals that in the night, someone has horribly defaced and ruined Joey's painting. Dawson and Pacey immediately want to come to her rescue and find the culprit, but Joey's far too dispirited to care. While Dawson then takes the tack of trying to get Joey to start over on her work, Pacey determines to nail the offender.

Meanwhile, Andie finally comes to terms with the fact that she's been overly harsh in her role as disciplinary committee head - and realizes that it's because of the guilt she carries over her own terrible and undisclosed crime -cheating on the PSAT. After confessing to a shocked Jack, she decides that she's got to come clean. As Pacey zeros in on the rich and smug Matt Caulfield as the perpetrator, Joey is confused by his heroic efforts on her behalf, and it takes more than the restoration of justice to sort out the changing feelings between these friends.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Pace & Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Extreme Fan

I felt so bad for Joey when her mural was ruined. That guy who did it was such a jerk I was glad Pacey went after him. I did not think Dawson or Pacey were wrong they were both just helping her the way they thought was right. This was another sign to me that Joey had feelings when she gets upset thinking Pacey is only hanging with her because Dawson told her too. The end scene was kind of nice when Dawson makes Joey realize Pacey does care and I like how Dawson watches at the end and smiles. The Andie stuff was boring.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Elite Fan

This episode held three interesting things for me:
1. Highlighted the personality differences between Dawson and Pacey. Like you Coolcat, I don't think one was right or wrong - just Dawson and Pacey.
2. Showed the depth of the growing friendship between Joey and Pacey.
3. I think it was the last episode that referred to Joey's love of and talent for art.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I did not think Dawson or Pacey were wrong they were both just helping her the way they thought was right.
I agree Coolcat.

Joey was quite upset at the thought of Pacey hanging around her just because Dawson told him too.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
This was another sign to me that Joey had feelings when she gets upset thinking Pacey is only hanging with her because Dawson told her too.
totally agree coolcat

Quote:
1. Highlighted the personality differences between Dawson and Pacey. Like you Coolcat, I don't think one was right or wrong - just Dawson and Pacey.
I agree with that too. They both did what they felt was right

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Here is my commentary from when the episode aired:

I really enjoyed this episode, and I thought it was well done on every level. It seems that the advertisement we’ve been hearing lately is true: Dawson’s Creek is back on track. I also thought that this episode offered us one of the most realistic glimpses into high school life that the show has ever portrayed.

I really liked the interaction of Pacey and Joey in this episode, although I wish that Joey could treat Pacey a little nicer and drop the continuously sardonic comments towards anything that he says. Still, though, I have to accept the fact that Pacey and Joey’s derisive banter merely reflects how they relate to one another, as neither one of them seems capable, at this point, to express any feelings of affection without tying it in to the sarcastic repartee that we’ve all come to expect from them. I was dismayed that Joey reacted in such a harsh and ungrateful manner, at least initially, to what Pacey did for her, so I could understand his harsh, and untrue, reaction back to her when he told her he was only looking out for her as a favor to Dawson. Joey seemed genuinely hurt by this revelation, and I felt that she had every right to feel angry for being “traded off like some baseball card.” In my humble opinion, though, I think that Joey is far too harsh and defensive in many of her reactions to almost anyone close to her. To me, Joey seems almost perpetually angry and ready to lash out at the people who care about her the most, and it makes it increasingly difficult for me to like her character. I most certainly realize that on this episode Joey had every right to feel angry and hurt after her mural was defaced, but this is an observation I’ve had about Joey’s character for quite some time now. Still, though, I was happy to see Joey finally thank Pacey, in her own reluctant way, for everything that he had done for her.

I felt as crushed as Joey did when her mural, which she had put her heart and soul into, was defaced in such an appalling manner, and I thought her speech beforehand was very touching and reflected the indomitable nature of her character, which made her humiliation in the unveiling immediately afterward all the more poignant. I thought that Dawson and Pacey’s discussion immediately after this defacement reflected the differences in their characters, where Dawson thought that this despicable act of vandalism was nothing personal, while Pacey saw what happened as being something very personal. As always, we got to see Dawson’s still idealistic view of life in this one scene, countered by Pacey’s darker and more realistic view of life. I also thought that the differences in Dawson and Pacey’s characters were illustrated even further in how they each later reacted to what happened to Joey, with Dawson trying to encourage Joey to repaint the mural, and Pacey lashing out at the person who defaced Joey’s mural in a direct and impulsive, but ultimately noble, way.

I was glad to see Dawson and Joey relating as friends in this episode, and I was touched once again how well they know each other. I really liked the way that Dawson stood up for Pacey when Joey spoke harshly about Pacey’s sincerity in helping her, after Joey told Dawson that she knew about the “wife swapping deal” that him and Pacey had. I also really enjoyed the way that Dawson called Joey down on the way that she was “casting aspersions on people that obviously care for her,” and made her realize that Pacey cared about her. I really liked Dawson in this episode , and I thought that he showed real maturity in his reaction to some of Joey’s harsh and hurtful words towards him, especially when she chided him about all the choices he can make in his life. I also liked the way he showed restraint, and even some humor, when he talked to Pacey at the end of the episode about Pacey’s revealing their “pact” to Joey.

I was elated to see Pacey call down Caulfield, and to force a confession out of him with words and deeds. I thought that Caulfield was a despicable and arrogant coward, but his character’s actions offered the most realistic glimpse of the “dark side” of high school life that the show has ever depicted. Pacey showed real courage in standing up to that miserable excuse of a human being, and it just proved once again what a stand up guy he really is. It was good that Dawson did the right thing to protect Pacey, even against Pacey’s wishes, and it was great how Dawson was able to use Caulfield’s own words to trap him and force him to admit that he had defaced Joey’s painting. I also really admired Principal Green for expelling this incredibly arrogant young man, although I foresee problems for Principal Green for taking such a courageous stand.

I really missed seeing Jen in this episode, and it doesn’t seem right that they didn’t include her at all, especially at the unveiling of Joey’s mural, since she is a student at Capeside High school and a friend of Joey’s. I also wish that we saw more of Jack in this episode, but the focus was obviously on the other characters in this episode.

I really liked Andie in this episode, and I thought that she showed a great deal of honesty and forthrightness in deciding to quit the disciplinary committee, and then confessing to Principal Green that she had cheated on the PSAT, even at the risk of her entire academic career. There aren’t many people who would have the moral courage to do something like that, so you really have to admire her character for listening to her conscience and doing the right thing. I also admired the way that Principal Green handled this situation, and that he fully recognized that Andie’s true remorse didn’t deserve the harsh punishment that Caulfield’s incredible arrogance warranted. I think that Principal Green, far and away, is the best adult character ever presented on Dawson’s Creek, and his fairness, kindness, and inspired leadership is something wonderful to behold. Like Pacey said, Principal Green is a great human being, and I wish that Dawson’s Creek would show a few teachers act in such an admirable way.

Overall, I thought this was a great show, and I’m looking forward to next week’s show with a great sense of anticipation.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Elite Fan

I love reading your posts from way back, Jerry.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Loyal Fan

This episode. Pacey is so great in it, I love his convo with Doug at the start when he wants to move in, and he looks so gorgeous when he is fighting
Old 01-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

I loved this episode. I didn't dislike anyone in this one - not even Dawson

I loved the way Pacey defended Joey in this and the fight scene was brilliant (I only discovered the complete fight scene when I bought the DVD as they had cut most of it when they aired it here ) Very sexy Pacey.

I also really liked the changing friendship between Pacey and Joey and I think we get another glimpse at Joey's feelings for Pacey.

Great episode.
Joey: Well, if it's of the spontaneous variety.
cocopop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think this was a cute episode.

I liked the Joey and Pacey freindshippy interaction. I agree that the differences in Pacey's and Dawson's personalities are very evident, by what they do.

I liked that Joey's mural symbolized "Possibility", I think in a way is went with the P/J relationship dynamic changing.

Any episode with an angry sexy Pacey, is always considered good to me.

The last scene with Pacey helping Joey paint the mural is very sweet, and you can see that their relationship is definitley changing, they obviously are starting to care about each other (well we know how Pacey feels already), Pacey wanting to harm anyone who causes Joey pain, and Joey being upset when she thought that Pacey was only hanging out with her because Dawson asked him to.

All in all it was a really good episode.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Master Fan

I really enjoyed this episode after thoroughly watching it a couple of times. When I first watched it, I thought the plot was kind of iffy, but I was distracted at the time. So, when I watched it, I mean really sat down and watched it, the idea of the iffy plot was no longer there.

This was, as Jerry so eloquently wrote, a true standing of how high school really was. You see how the cool kids, the one in the right clique try to get away with anything and the majority of the time, they do. But when said person's ego is larger than life, it's about time that he got caught.

This episode truly exemplifies how much Pacey cares for Joey and how she's still a little in the dark, at least in the beginning of the episode, of how much he cares for her. This episode shows alot about the people who care for Joey. You have Pacey who will beat up the "bully" to honor Joey's hard work that was ruined and you have Dawson using words as his defense to get the truth out of Caulfield.

I think the end of the episode, when Dawson sees Joey and Pacey repainting the wall...it really shows the connection, the bond that both Pacey and Joey have for one another. It shows how Joey is moving on past the childhood pacts.

And Andie, telling Principal Green about the PSAT, that was very bold of her to do that. And yes, she did deserve to be punished, but not expelled like Caulfield. (*Note: When I watched the scene in Green's office when he told Caulfield he was expelled and that whole remark Caulfield made, I knew that there would be some trouble in Capeside.)

In all, this was a pretty good episode and did show some reality as to how high school could be.

Ali******Avi by *Angie*
Goodbye One Tree Hill
FinallyPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Absolute Fan

I thought this was a great episode. Every scene held my attention, which can sometimes stray. It showed how Joey really had a lot of people that cared about her. Pacey, Dawson, Bessie, Bodie, etc... They were all there for her in some way in this episode, which gave me a real sense of family and friendship.

To start off, I adored Pacey in this episode. He has such a genuine heart and he let's it shine. The way he stood up for Joey was so kind and you could tell that his feelings for her went much deeper than friendship. I loved when he told Matt that he wanted him to apologize "because this time you just happened to mess with somebody I care about." He was also great at making upper cuts look super sexy.

I felt sorry for Joey, all of her hard work down the drain. At first I was wondering why she wanted to draw a mural on the wall in the first place, since it hadn't been a major priority in her life for awhile. But I liked the idea of her expressing "possibilty" in the halls. Someone said that "possibility" could have been referring to PJ, and I agree. I think that maybe their were starting to shift their feelings into a different direction. I also thought that the ending scene with PJ painting and Dawson walking by was a big sign. He stopped, took a minute to think, and then walked off. I will always wonder what went through his mind that very moment.

Bravo to Andie! I was so proud of her for taking responisbility for her mistake and coming clean. Most people would never have enough courage to do that and after all she had been through the past year, I really commend her for that. I also thought that Meredith did a wondeful job in the scene where she was rehearsing her confession in the mirror.

No Jen... that's okay. Michelle probably needed a break.

I liked how Dawson tripped Matt up in his lies, which led to him being expelled. I also thought it was great that he didn't listen to Pacey when he told Dawson not to say a word. It's very sad though because that is one of the last moments that the DP relationship was still intact.

Also... Pacey getting community service was fantastic. I his scenes with Buzz in the upcoming episodes.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace & Jo
Dawson walking by was a big sign. He stopped, took a minute to think, and then walked off. I will always wonder what went through his mind that very moment.
It's very sad though because that is one of the last moments that the DP relationship was still intact.

I kind of think at that moment he was happy. You are right I almost forgot the Beginning of the end for the D/P friendship I loved was almost here. But I did like that moment.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200
I kind of think at that moment he was happy. You are right I almost forgot the Beginning of the end for the D/P friendship I loved was almost here. But I did like that moment.
Why do you think he was happy?

Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Why do you think he was happy?
He looked a little bit smug to me.