Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Master Fan

Episode Discussion 313 "Northern Lights"

It's the eve of Pacey's debut as the lead in "Barefoot In the Park," and he's disappointed that Joey, who's been helping him run lines, will miss his gig for a date with her college friend A.J. She explains that, as this is a date to view the Northern Lights, it can't be rescheduled. The flustered Pacey then proceeds to flub all his lines in dress rehearsal, panicking Andie, who abruptly has had to take over as director when the teacher falls ill.

Meanwhile, a disillusioned Dawson drops film class, much to Nikki's dismay. And Jen and Henry finally have a face-off date at Pacey's play, during which Henry forces Jen to be truly honest. Ultimately, Pacey pulls off an acting triumph as Joey navigates her way around her evening with A.J. with an equal mixture of wariness and excitement.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Passionate Fan

I really liked this episode. It´s great that we get to see how much Pacey is falling for Joey. Henry was really sweat with Jen, and Dawson did´t annoy me too much. So a very good episode to me...
Old 01-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Absolute Fan

I this episode. Especially the scene between P/J in the beginng of the epi. Pacey was obviously hurt that Joey was going on a date. I would have chosen Pacey over A.J in a heart beat.

I thought the scene with Henry/Jen was cute. A little much for a first date, but still good.

Dawson was alright. Nikki got on my nerves though.

I just adored the Pacey/Andie scene too. It kind of felt like they had some closeure that night. Very sweet.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Pace & Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Loyal Fan

Pretty good episode. I liked The D/Jo scene at the end I liked Pacey and Andie's scene too. I didn't really take to A.J at all in season 3. I prefered him in " Cinderella Story" then this ep. I didnt feel that A.J/Joey really worked.

Shipper of: Karl/Susan, Dawson/Joey, Bridget/Mark, Willow/Tara
Star Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Extreme Fan

This one was pretty good and had nice moments. I really liked Pacey and Dawson's talk in the Gym. I liked Pacey and Andies scene as well at the end. This was another episode to me that showed Pacey had fallen for Joey. On the down side The Joey/AJ scenes bored me and I did not care much for the Henry/Jen stuff.* But for me the best part of the episode was the end scene with Dawson and Joey. I loved how the Northern Lights happened when she was with Dawson and she say's its typical that it happened with him.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Here's what I wrote about this episode at the time that it aired:

I really enjoyed this episode, on virtually every level, and I thought that the character interaction was excellent. I also thought that this episode was marked with an understated subtlety that represents Dawson’s Creek at its best. In many ways, I also viewed this as a transitional episode, as some of the things that said and happened could be interpreted in different ways, depending on one’s point of view. I found the conversations between Joey and Pacey to be intriguing, and I thought it was sweet how he was concerned for her when she told him that she was going out on a date with AJ, and as usual, he showed his affection for her in a teasing way, but also in a way that got through to her, and some of what he said affected her date with AJ. I think it’s pretty obvious that Pacey has growing feelings for Joey, but to be honest, I don’t see that she has any feelings for Pacey other than friendship. As always, Josh Jackson did a wonderful job in portraying conflicting emotions in his character, but he does it in a subtle way that makes his character so human. I thought that Pacey came close to revealing his feelings about Joey when he talked about falling in love again, but as always, it could be interpreted in various ways as to whether he was referring to her in that statement. Personally, I feel that Pacey is only too aware of the bond between Dawson and Joey, and since, like Joey, his outward bravado masks a deep sense of insecurity, I think he’s afraid to act on those feelings, for a multitude of reasons.

I really liked AJ in this episode, and he didn’t seem smug or condescending at all, and I also thought that he was a perfect gentleman to Joey. I was also glad to see that he displayed some vulnerability and honesty when he said that he wasn’t the authority on girls and what they wanted. One thing I found a little mystifying, though, was that Joey seemed so intimidated by his knowledge and intelligence, as she’s a straight A student, and intelligent in her own right, but I think at the heart of her character is a deep sense of insecurity. I was a little dismayed when she said that she “thought” she liked art, since her interest in art in Season Two seemed to serve as the catalyst for her breakup with Dawson and her relationship with Jack, but it also reflected the fact that she’s still a teenager and trying to find her way in life. I also thought that her explanation that “there’s this person you want to be for other people, to make them happy, and make them proud of you, and then there’s yourself, and sometimes it’s really hard to tell where one ends and the other begins,” was very true, at any age.

I liked the scene where Dawson and Pacey talked and played basketball, and I think it reflected how well they knew each other. I thought it was interesting that Pacey seemed more concerned about Joey’s date with AJ than Dawson did, except for the fact that Dawson missed the basket when Pacey told him about Joey’s date. I liked the talk between Jen and Pacey, and I thought it was very perceptive of her that she was how much Pacey missed Joey being at the play.

To me, in this entire episode, Dawson seemed to show a maturity that I’ve never seemed before. I could understand his desire to “recharge his batteries,” and I liked the interaction between him and Nikki. I thought that Dawson was completely correct when he told Nikki that he analyses everything so much that he can’t enjoy anything, and it reflected a new self awareness on his part. I thought that it was interesting, and ultimately heartening, that the answer to where he was when he had the joy that he had missed, was with Joey. I’m very happy that at this point that Dawson and Nikki are simply friends, and I think that Nikki has become a good, and genuine, friend to Dawson.

I was glad to see that Andie inspired Pacey to do well in the play, and that he was a success in it. I was also glad that Andie said that at long last, she felt like herself again, and that she’s given herself “structure and purpose,” helped along by Jack, who was there for her when she needed him. I missed seeing Jen and Jack interact though. I was also happy to see Mr. Broderick tell Andie that he had faith in her, and give her his director’s binder. I really enjoyed the talk that Andie and Pacey had, and that they treated each other with affection and respect, and that they’re at least friends again.

I thought it was really melodramatic, and more than a bit unrealistic, for Henry to make a grandiose gesture to get her attention by going up on the rafters in imitation of Pacey’s scene from “Barefoot In The Park,” but he did have a very legitimate complaint that Jen was embarrassed to be seen with him, and that she seemed to avoid spending any time alone with him on their “semi-date.” Henry is sweet and sincere though, and completely honest, and I think that him and Jen could be good for each other.

I really loved the scene between Dawson and Joey at the end of the episode, and that he came to her because he felt lost, and Joey was correct that Dawson had lost his “true north.” I thought that it was sweet and touching that Joey got to see the Northern Lights with Dawson, because, now and forever, they are each other’s “true north,” that fixed point in each other’s lives that they guide themselves by.

Overall, another great show, and I look forward to the next one.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love this episode...

My favourite part is when Pacey is doing all this ranting in Joeys room and Bessie enters to say Joeys date has arrive and Pacey pushes her out by her face i was laughing my head off when i first saw it...he is soooo funny.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Great episode. Especially the whole interaction between them, especially Pacey and Joey Be able to see a jealous Pacey is priceless :d

But I think the whole Henry storyline and having him imitating the whole play for Jen's attention kinda sucked

Icon by sourburst
Corrsfanre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Elite Fan

Joey remembers she would rather be with someone else. I wonder who she could be talking about. That's right. Pacey. She was kissing AJ and then Pacey was on her mind.

What I found interesting was when Andie said she was trying to change Pacey when they were together. I am not really a PA fan, but I never really saw that while watching season 2. I don't know why she felt that way.

I think Henry was a little over the top. As usual, Jen was treating him like crap. She invites him to the play and has him sitting next to Grams. I felt so bad for him. Then, after the play, she totally ignores him and talks with Pacey.

Loved seeing Jack and Andie hang out

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Master Fan

Well, now that I'm sitting at home I can properly give my opinion on this episode.

I truly enjoyed this episode from beginning to end. From seeing Joey help Pacey rehearse for "Barefoot..." (a great play by the way) to the end where we see Dawson and Joey watching the Northern Lights together.

First of all, with the realization that Pacey was indeed falling for Miss Joey Potter out in the open, seeing his reaction regarding her date with A.J. and not being able to make it to the play - that really shows how much he is falling. (And I agree - the scene where Bessie comes into Joey's room and Pacey pushes her out by putting his hand on her face is priceless). But you get to see, through Pacey's eyes just how much Joey is becoming this part of his life that he wants to work.

Now the whole Jen/Henry drama was a little cheesy and I felt for Henry when all he wanted to do was try and get to know Jen, but she wasn't quite as sure if she wanted to pursue anything. But that's typical Jen. She doesn't want to put her heart out there just yet - it's been abused for a very long time and was still healing. And the conversation Jen had with Pacey after the show just shows how much Jen is looking out for Pacey. Making sure his heart doesn't get as abused as hers has.

I was glad to see Pacey and Andie talk. That reconstructive road of rebuilding their friendship was beginning. And it's good that they can move beyond what happened in the past and work on their present friendship.

Now the Joey and A.J. date - wasn't too jazzed about her missing Pacey's debut, but she was moving forward with something that she herself began, she herself came across in an unusual manner. Granted, I never really did like the A.J. character, but the scenes he had in this episode weren't as bad as the previous.

And then we come to their kisss - the kiss where Joey said that she needed to be somewhere else, promised to be somewhere else. She started thinking about what Pacey previously told her about what could happen, about what might happen. And when the kiss happened...maybe she just wasn't ready for that situation. The talk she and Pacey had at the after party really shows how much Joey can open up to Pacey. It shows how much she is depending on him, on his advise. This friendship that developed in Season 3 is a great one.

Coincidence that the one thing Joey was waiting for the entire episode and it happened when she was talking to Dawson. What Joey said was true..."Typical. Just typical." But it also shows how they have both developed into individuals this season. Dawson didn't know about Joey's date with A.J. Joey's not confiding in Dawson the way she used to. But I think this was something that needed to happen. They needed to go down different paths after what happened in the previous season. And with them seeing the Northern Lights together, it was a good chance for the both of them to see how much they have changed. Just in my opinion.

Anyway, this was a very good episode and I will stop typing....now.

Ali******Avi by *Angie*
Goodbye One Tree Hill
FinallyPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Coincidence that the one thing Joey was waiting for the entire episode and it happened when she was talking to Dawson. What Joey said was true..."Typical. Just typical." But it also shows how they have both developed into individuals this season. Dawson didn't know about Joey's date with A.J. Joey's not confiding in Dawson the way she used to. But I think this was something that needed to happen. They needed to go down different paths after what happened in the previous season. And with them seeing the Northern Lights together, it was a good chance for the both of them to see how much they have changed.
I agree with you We get the chance to see how much they have changed, without being part of each others lifes. We also got to see that in "Escape of Witch Island", where Joey knew nothing about Eve, and Dawson about the B&B.

It was interesting to see how each of them went on different paths

Icon by sourburst
Corrsfanre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Love this episode, I think it has just the right amounts of funny moments, sweet moments and dramatic moments

Quote:
My favourite part is when Pacey is doing all this ranting in Joeys room and Bessie enters to say Joeys date has arrive and Pacey pushes her out by her face
O how I lauhged!!! Also when Pacey makes the "Potter Pantalones" comment!!!

I also agree about Joey not speaking to/confiding in Dawson as much.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:13 AM
New Fan

i know it might sound a bit weird but i like the background music in this episode, it just adds somethin special to certain scenes thats just my opinion though
Old 01-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura1212
i know it might sound a bit weird but i like the background music in this episode, it just adds somethin special to certain scenes thats just my opinion though
Yeah i agree with that.When Joey and AJ are at the party there is a beautiful sound in the background.I thought it was a PJ theme song because i believe i heard the same sound 2 times on PJ scenes in S3.But then i watched the S3 again i realized they used the song first on a AJ/Joey scene.
candyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:27 AM
New Fan

i looked on the dawsons creek music website an you cant download it from there. does any1 know how i could download it?