Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Master Fan

Episode Discussion 109 "The Scare"

Dawson orchestrates a few schemes carefully designed to scare the tar out of his friends on Friday the 13th, and a timely news story about an at-large serial killer only increases the fright factor. Dawson plans to conclude the ominous day with a spooky, adrenaline-laced seance. Meanwhile, Jen reluctantly agrees to a date with Cliff, who vainly turns to Dawson for advice on how to impress her. And, Pacey invites a sexy and unbalanced stranger, whose crazed boyfriend threatens to deliver real danger to Dawson's door. All converge on at the Leery house for some heart-pounding fun, but when the power goes out, the phone lines are cut and loud noises cannot be explained, all look to Dawson for reassurance, only to realize that the terror at hand may not be Dawson's doing.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Master Fan

I think that this episode was the peak of the season 1 cheesiness. It was fun to watch when it first aired but rewtching it was actually funny.

I also think it was a vain homage from Kevin Williamson to kevin Williamson the self proclaimed king of s"scream-dom" at the time. Jens re-enactment of "Scream" was funny, though good acting. There were just so many things going on in this episode from the rel serial killer on the loose to the crazy convenience store lady and her psycho boyfriend to the Jen/Cliff date to the power and phones going out it was definitely wacky hijinks at its best but almost like one of those stand alone episodes where nothings really supposed to be taken seriously.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

I love "The Scare". Dawson's Creek was always very good at "making fun of itself", and this one was true to form seeing as how Kevin Williamson was the king of "scream-fests" at the time.
I love the ending scene where Dawson tells Joey that he would be "inconsolable" if she died. Very heartfult and touching....very "Dawson".
And Pacey was hillarious, as usual.

I'm sure most people know this little tidbit of information, but the girl that played "Ursula"(the nut-case chick) is now James' sister-in-law. The actress(Jennifer McComb) that played her actually introduced her sister Heather to James when he was in L.A. crashing on her couch...apparently her and James became friends after that episode.
newmom5497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

OMG! This is one of my favorites episodes, EVER! Honestly, it just had everything in it. It was both funny and then there were those sweet moments. For instance, my friend Mike and I, were obsessed with the scene where Joey was in the car and 'David' comes up to her, and asks her for directions, and then Dawson goes didn't your mother ever teach you to not talk to strangers. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] (Wow, memories.) And ... the scene where at the end she gets her boyfriend after Joey is beating him with the spatula, and she's like I work at the Bowling Alley, I can get you a discount on shoes, [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And the ending where 'What would you do if I died' - Aww! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Total Fan

I like this episode..it's funny and scary at the same time. I love the Dawson's Creek tradition to create a scary episode in every season...I enjoyed very much that of season 5th but this too cos it's the more realistic.
It's funny the whole Jen/Cliff psycho boyfriend and even that blonde girl who flirted with Pacey...so crazy.
I love the ending scene between Dawson and Joey when they said that they would be unconsolable without the other and the look on Joey's face when he said that..so sweet!Good episode!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I really, really liked this episode.

From start to finish, I linger on every word. It was an attention grabbing episode. I loved Dawson going around scaring the hell out of everyone. So, so funny.

Pacey was funny as hell. I loved how perceptive Pacey was about Dawson and Joey. The guy knew what was going on with Dawson and Joey before Dawson and Joey even knew what was going on! And I loved how he asked Ursula to get some booze and then she proceeds to steal it.. The look on Dawson and Pacey's face was classic.

I did like the Dawson and Joey dialogue with the teasing/scaring stuff. You could see the sexual tension going on between the two of them BIG TIME. Even though Dawson, of course, was living in his fantasy world that Jen was still the girl for him so he denied the reality of what was going on with him and Joey..

The Jen/Cliff stuff was interesting. I could watch Michelle Williams act any time of the day. The girl brings big time talent in every scene of every episode. She was so fun to watch in this episode..

I loved how Joey makes fun of Pacey's driving and she cringes whenever she finds out that he is driving them to the store. So funny.

I also think that Joey and the real killer interaction whenever he approaches her at the car was very, very eerie. It is more than obvious that Kevin is a God whenever it comes to bringing out the scare in people. That scene whenever the killer is talking to Joey brought chills down my spine. The emotions he wanted to bring out to the audience definitely worked on me. I was so glad that Dawson showed up because I knew something was very off with that guy!

I just loved this episode from start to finish. Good stuff.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Master Fan

I loved this episode, this is another one that i know ever line by heart.
Brighter Than Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved this eppy, it was so funny and a bit scary too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Joey using the pan to hit the guy [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] too funny [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Administrator

This episode, from what many us feel was the season which represented Dawson’s Creek at its best, was actually the weakest episode in that season, and represented a rather comical departure from the normal angst ridden fare presented every week at that time. In this show, Kevin Williamson ventured into the realm of self-parody by placing his characters in situations that reflected the atmosphere of the film that had brought him initial acclaim, Scream. Still, though, the basic elements that made the show such an endearing success were all in place in this episode, and for me, watching the show again represented a nostalgic look back at a time when the show, and the characters, had a refreshing innocence about them.

I really enjoyed seeing Dawson and Joey watching a movie together in Dawson’s bed, like they did in every show during the first season, good naturedly debating and teasing one another about the merits of the movie they were watching, and the affection that they had for each other then was simply a joy to watch. The friendship between Dawson and Joey was simply wonderful, and it’s sorely missed now.

This show showed Dawson still fully in the throes of his recent breakup with Jen, and he was trying to mask his hurt by carrying on his tradition of playing pranks on his friends, Pacey and Joey, in honor of Friday The 13th. I enjoyed how Dawson showed his affection towards his two dearest friends by staging elaborate pranks to scare them. I also found it touching, but a bit unfair, that Jen felt left out because Dawson was making no attempts to scare her as well. The phone calls and notes to Jen were an obvious send up of “Scream,” but we did get to see the sadness at the core of Jen’s soul even then as she told her mysterious caller that her heart was “dented.”

We also got to see the original Pacey at his comic best during this show; with his classic line “Can I hear you say, yeah? Can I hear you say oh yeah?” as he showed up with his “commandeered” family vehicle. I also liked the unforced banter that he had with Joey then, as she called him on his fixation with older women, and he called her on her then unrequited love for Dawson.

The character of Ursala was an over the top hoot, and Pacey’s attempts to act suave with her were comical. I thought that her “prediction” that the ever clueless Dawson was in love with the wrong girl and that he and Joey, and not Jen, would work out represented a good look towards what we hoped would be a bright future for everyone’s favorite “star crossed lovers.” I think that Ursula could see what all of the rest of us fans could see then, and wished Dawson could see, that it was Joey, and not Jen, that Dawson loved.

I think that Scott Foley has improved quite a bit as an actor since his days on Dawson’s Creek, because I felt he was pretty unimpressive as Cliff Elliot. Still, though, his character was basically a nice guy who genuinely cared for Jen, further belying Jen’s later statement to Jack that every guy she knew besides him was just out to use her sexually.

I thought that Jen’s confrontation with Dawson was touching, and the heartache in his voice when he talked to her reflected the intense infatuation that he had for her then, and the obviously mixed feelings that Jen had towards him at that time.

I really liked the final scene between Dawson and Joey, and the wealth of affection they had towards each other was so heartwarming to behold. I especially enjoyed seeing the expression of joy on Joey’s face when Dawson said he’s be inconsolable if she died, and the natural and unforced way Dawson asked her if she wanted to sleep over that night. I honestly feel that nothing we saw in the seasons that followed Season One can even come close to the sweet, touching friendship that Dawson and Joey had then, and the show really lost its emotional core when their friendship ended.

Overall, I really enjoyed this nostalgic look back at the wonderful show that Dawson’s Creek once was.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Master Fan

I cant believe Im the only one who thinks in hindsight that this episode was extremely cheesy. Then again,it's mostly DJers and people who coveted season 1 who loved it, but still, I think its something that when I was 15 I thought was cool but now...really funny.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Extreme Fan

I liked this episode alot. I loved pretty much everything about it and being a fan of all those low budget Horror movies it was fun to watch. I loved the end D/J scene.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

This episode to me was will always be the funniest to me, i like how dawson was scaring joey at the begining and called her a wuss for being scared. and i liked how at the end he told her he would be inconsolable if she did, though i always wondered if he was starting to have feelings for joey, but kept pushing them away due to jen.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugz:
<STRONG>I cant believe Im the only one who thinks in hindsight that this episode was extremely cheesy. Then again,it's mostly DJers and people who coveted season 1 who loved it, but still, I think its something that when I was 15 I thought was cool but now...really funny.</STRONG>
Even though I enjoyed the episode, ITA that in looking back, it did have cheesy moments. Also, I am actually BOTH a fan of P/J and D/J.. I enjoy both of them, although I feel like according to what the show gave us, a P/J ending was more satisfactory.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Master Fan

I liked this episode. It was fun, light hearted at times, but the Lady Killer scared me. Kevin knows how to scare an audience.
QueenBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess Aly:
<STRONG> Kevin knows how to scare an audience.</STRONG>
Oh yes, absolutely agree.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top