Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Master Fan

Episode Discussion: 103 "Discovery"

Dawson is surprised to find scandalous footage of Ms. Jacobs and an unidentified man making love outdoors, after he accidentally leaves his camera on location, and running, overnight. Panicked, Pacey reveals to Dawson that the tryst is between he and Ms. Jacobs. Meanwhile, on the eve of Dawson's parents' 20th anniversary, Dawson discovers that his mother has been having an affair with her co-anchor and Joey has known about it. Hurt and confused, Dawson wants desperately to tell his father. To further confuse matters, Jen reveals that she had been leading life in the fast lane in New York, which is why her parents sent her away. Completely put off, Dawson doesn't know how to respond to the fact that Jen is not a virgin.

Old 02-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Dedicated Fan

Great Caps!! Good Lord..James looks young there.

DISCOVERY--Great episode. So many things come to a head and we really get to the "meat" of Season 1. Jen's "history" and Dawson's insecurities about it, the Discovery of Gail's affair by Dawson, the ongoing complexity of Joey/Dawson's relationship and the ongoing saga of Pacey's affair with his teacher really heats up when Dawson finds out. They really packed ALOT in 48 minutes..LOL.

BEST SCENE--Dawson and Joey at the ruins at the end. Soooooo much "sub" text in the dialogue...plus the scene itself is so beautiful.

FUNNIEST LINES: Dawson: I mean, what do you get two people who have spent every day together for the past like 20 years?

Joey: Offhand, I'd say separate vacations.

BEST "BANTER"---Pacey and Joey at the Icehouse...when he calls her a "prude" and she calls him a "pervert".

WORST KISSING--The Jen/Dawson kisses in this episode were a bit too "open mouthy" for me..blah.

FAVORITE SONG--"Fall from Grace"(at the Ruins), but Sarah McGlaughlin.

WORST BEHAVIOUR--Dawson's reaction to Jen's history. I love how she let him have it at school..the scene at his locker.

MOST "HOPEFUL" SCENE--Jen coming to Joey for advice about how to deal with Dawson..and Joey actually giving it. It gave some hope for a friendship between those two.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Master Fan

I liked the video, thought the jokes were funny. Cherap, but funny.

Dawson was a brat in this ep, especaially to Jo. I can see where he was coming from, but still. Not. Cool.

Veru big on secrets, this episode. To sum it all up " Secrets destroy. They hurt and wound and kill."-Dawson.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

I didnt really like this episode all that much,

Dawson's reaction to his mother's affair was understandable, he was so hurt by it, but i thought that it was wrong for him to just go off at joey like that, i mean she was trying to protect him and the way he made it seem like she wasnt planning on telling him or something.

I didnt like how he dealt with jen's confession about being in the fast lane in new york, i mean he expecst everyone to be perfect in his perfect world but when he sees that jen is flawed in somewway he finds that insulting, and i think that he should of been more supportive towards her instead of pushing himself away from her.

Pacey and tamara situation, i felt bad because of the way pacey, and he fact he's first time it was caught on time, it just saws how deeply we see how pacey has feeings and he has great emotions to.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Master Fan

This episode was chock full.

First, Dawsonfinding out about his moms affair. Geez, if I wouldve seen that I wouldve immediately confronted them, no beating around the bush there and yes it was wrong for Dawson to react like he did to Joey and Jen. In fact, in a lot of the early season episode I think Dawson displayed a lot of ill characteristics, like rampant jeaousy and selfishness but a lot of people bypassed it because Joey still wanted him so bad and they felt for Joey. I felt bad for Jen too, you could tell she was trying to reach out to Dawson and even thoug she knew she couldnt take Joeys place she wanted to be there for Dawson on a level that transcended just a girlfriend.

As for Pacey. Well for those who thought the unrealistic stuff started in season 3, just look at this storyline. Not only for the situation with Ms. Jacobs to be happening but for it to be caught on tape, thats wacky hijinks at its finest.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Elite Fan

I liked this episode. Not one of my s1 faves, but it was ok. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Dawson's reaction was normal, but I think he should have confronted them right away. I kinda felt sorry for him after Jen confessed everything about her New York life, but I didn't like the way he behaved towards her and Joey. And Jen asking Joey for an advice was priceless. I'm a big fan of their "friendship". [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The ending scene was awesome, classic D/J. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] I love the song "Full of grace" and it was perfect for this scene. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-28-2004: Message edited ~ Timmy ~ ]
Old 02-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Master Fan

Feeling like some caps [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I like any time when they're all together.

Yeah... I'm a fan [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I miss the video store. And that Cheshire cat grin [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
http://www.josh-jackson.net
Old 02-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Dawson seemed scared after Jen told him about her. I guess he had this picture perfect image of Jen in his head and when she told him about the sex,drugs and stuff it scared him off. Man Dawson looked like a ton of bricks hit him after he found out about his mother. I get he was upset but he should not have taken it out on Joey. I loved the end scene though with D/J. As for Pacey And Tamara I didn't love it or hate it. I liked when Pacey and Dawson talked about it though in his room. Overall I liked the episode.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:51 AM
Loyal Fan

Jen's non virginity scared him off? Off what? Hmm, the fact that she's more experienced than him and he may feel inadequate in bed with her - should they get round to having sex? maybe, but we were given no indication this was the reason. Plain and simple, in his cinematic view of seeing things, Jen was the beauitful, virginal princess and when reality knocked it shattered his view of her and he treated her like crap...

Pacey: The fact that you are scared. Face it. Dawson, the Jen Lindley you have built up in your mind does not entirely exist, okay? In your movies, she can be whatever you want, but in real life, the scripts got thrown out.

Pacey's right in this instance, if not with the rest of his analogy.
I don't think Dawson had any excuse to treat her like that. He may be entitled to some disappointment, but to act as if she'd mortally wounded him - please!

As for the situation with Joey, it made me think of Parental Discretion Advised. Dawson did what he thought was best in that situation concerning her father's drug dealing, but Joey didn't want to know. Here Joey did what she felt was best, protecting her friend, but he didn't appreciate that either...

Dawson: No, Joey, what you did was not the action of a friend. What you did, and let me make this perfectly clear, is disengage this friendship.

Hmm, seems like Dawson has a habit of withdrawing his friendship when he's mad...and note how it was Joey who had to approach him after his assy behaviour, not him aproaching her. A taste of things to come...

All in all, it's not a nice thing to find out one of your parents is cheating. So I give a 'poor Dawson' on that and a 'what a prick' on the other stuff.

I liked the P/J banter in this ep and I liked that we again got to see Pacey's underlying vulnerability in that scene with Dawson. I like the P/Tam story anyway, but yeah, like Sugz said, a little unrealistic - especially as when Dawson and Jen ran off to hide the monitor was switched off, yet somehow managed to film Pacey and Tamara...hee!

[ 03-01-2004: Message edited Jaycee ]
Old 03-01-2004, 04:48 AM
Extreme Fan

No question about it Dawson was wrong to treat Jen like that. But he did say he was sorry for it.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

True Daisy lover4ever [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I too didn't like this eppy much at all

My pet hates on this eppy

1. Dawson's mom having an affair
2. Pacey having a affair with Ms. Jacobs and losing his boyhood to her..yuck... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
3. Dawson didn't treat Jen very well after she told him about the sex thing in NYC
4. Ms. Jacobs trying to play a teen and isn't

But anyway [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I still like watching this eppy, even thou *lol* I don't like it much [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Passionate Fan

I like this episode. I like the Pacey and Tamara storyline and I especially like their scenes in this episode. I think they were pretty sweet at times, like when Tamara said that she didn't mean her high school and Pacey smiled. I also thought the scene where Pacey confronts Tamara about Mr. Gold was pretty funny.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread