Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Master Fan

Comparison thread #1: Compare Dawson's Creek and its couples with other shows & ships here!

Comparison thread
We've seen a few threads discussing comparisons between Dawson's Creek and other shows or Dawson's Creek ships with other ships, so we decided to open a general comparison thread. Who reminds you of who? Which show reminds you of Dawson's Creek and why?

Share you thoughts here!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Master Fan

I think comparisons are tough because Pacey and Joey are an underdog ship and most underdog pairings are not given an endgame as they were. I have a lot of ships that remind me of Pacey and Joey but the most obvious one for me is Sawyer and Kate on Lost. They were the couple with the clear white hot sexual chemistry that flew out of the scene in a way that it never did with Jack and Kate. Sawyer did not think highly of himself so he self-sabotaged his relationship with Kate a lot of the times due to his insecurity about her feelings for Jack. By turn I think Kate was blind sided by Jack's hero complex that she felt attracted to him for all the wrong reasons. He trapped her, made her feel terrible about herself a lot of the times and we saw in the flashforward their general lack of compatability, relationship wise. I truly think they never worked romantically and this is why the series ended with Jack dying to make it appear as if the couple was epic because the idea of them as a relationship was not going to fly.

Unfortunately Sawyer/Kate were not given the endgame and in fact they were given the ending the writers intended to originally give Pacey/Joey/Andie/Dawson with Pacey/Andie and Dawson/Joey. What we received was Jack/Kate and Sawyer/Juliet (the Lost version of Pandie, except worse because their chemistry was painfully bad). This is why I think it is hard to compare my feelings about Pacey/Joey with any of my other ships because they actually rose above their underdog status and got endgame.

Another example would be Brooke/Lucas but of course with Brooke taking the role of Pacey and Joey was Lucas. The structure of OTH is such that Lucas and Haley is actually Dawson and Joey but they never happened romantically and Lucas had a preconceived notion that Peyton was an angel sent from heaven because he stared at her from a far during his pre-teen years. They lied, they cheated, they hurt Brooke and made her feel completely insecure about their friendship much like Pacey/Joey in season 4 of DC. Again they had the overt sexual chemistry that Lucas and Peyton failed to generate because Chad and Sophia were married and you could tell he was into her onscreen.

Despite Brooke's insecurities, I think she was the one for Lucas and he repeatedly confirmed this to her in season 3. Peyton's selfishness manifested in her telling Brooke she still wanted to be with Lucas when she knew how insecure Brooke felt about that. I hated it and it was inevitably the end of Brooke and Peyton's friendship in my eyes. Again, the series ended miserably with a contrived Lucas and Peyton relationship because even in the flashforward we can see Lucas and Peyton failed AGAIN and they had to hurt more people to be together. Brooke got her own consolation prize with Julian, no matter how much they tried to re-write history, I know that is what it was.

So as you can see, I am rather unlucky with my ships

Last edited by posterity; 06-20-2013 at 09:51 AM
posterity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Moderator Support Team

^ I def agree w/ you about OTH on Brooke/Lucas/Peyton, but honestly, I always thought that Lucas would end up w/ Brooke in no matter how many time they rewrite the history in all three of them...

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
fly me to the moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Master Fan

^Absolutely agree with this. After season 2 it was clear that Lucas knows he made a mistake with Peyton and he was completely in love with Brooke. No amount of re-writes will overcome the nonsense they tried to sell with the net end of that triangle.

That's why even though I was surprised Pacey and Joey ended up together, because of how desparate the writers were to reinforce Dawson and Joey's soulmate connection. After Joey chose Pacey at the end of season 3, I knew that her and Dawson would never make sense again romantically because it was a huge step. But the writers were bent on trying to pretend Pacey/Joey did not happen in season 5, so I was not sure.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

We will have to agree to disagree, because I am actually a Lucas/Peyton fan...sorry!

I have four favorite ships of all time, they are Pacey/Joey, Jackie/Hyde from That 70's show, Pam/Jim from The Office and Lucas/Peyton. I guess my only one that didn't get their happy ending was Jackie/Hyde.
I am an original”
msstock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Dawson's Creek

I guess, the only comparison I can make with Pacey and Joey to my other favorite couples is that most of them are boys boys of various degrees and "good" girls who believe in them.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Moderator Support Team

Msstock87 - I'm fan of Lucas/Peyton, but honestly, I really don't see them as soulmate because in S6, Peyton saying that Lucas always saving her and all that, but how they can be soulmate because of him help her to save her? I mean, there are another way they can be soulmate w/o him always helping her since I feel like they made her weak character like she couldn't save herself since in S1-3 that she never need anyone to help her, but she help herself to overcome it.. Shrug.. I think that they change history and all that.. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)
^Absolutely agree with this. After season 2 it was clear that Lucas knows he made a mistake with Peyton and he was completely in love with Brooke. No amount of re-writes will overcome the nonsense they tried to sell with the net end of that triangle.

That's why even though I was surprised Pacey and Joey ended up together, because of how desparate the writers were to reinforce Dawson and Joey's soulmate connection. After Joey chose Pacey at the end of season 3, I knew that her and Dawson would never make sense again romantically because it was a huge step. But the writers were bent on trying to pretend Pacey/Joey did not happen in season 5, so I was not sure.
Oh yeah, I'm w/ you on this.. Plus I think that in second season, at least Lucas knowledge for what he did to Brooke AND Peyton, but yet, he CHOSE Brooke over Peyton that speak volume, but I really don't care what every other characters/creator of the show tell me that Lucas/Peyton are meant to be or they're soul-mate, but it's all about the moments and others.. But I hate how people saying that Lucas/Peyton are meant to be because he always saving her and he never said any words to Peyton because actions speak more than words...

I mean, I always feel that Peyton/Lucas are kind of more Pacey/Andie since Pacey always need to help her because Andie can't help herself and I see that w/ Lucas/Peyton while I see Pacey/Joey to Brooke/Lucas.. Not sure if this is made sense.. :lol;

is that what you want?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I mean, I always feel that Peyton/Lucas are kind of more Pacey/Andie since Pacey always need to help her because Andie can't help herself and I see that w/ Lucas/Peyton while I see Pacey/Joey to Brooke/Lucas.. Not sure if this is made sense.. :lol;
I see what you mean. I don't think we can call Lucas/Peyton a Dawson/Joey friendship. As I said before, Dawson and Joey are more like Lucas and Haley. I don't think that Lucas is Pacey though, but I can see how the dynamic with Lucas and Peyton may come off as Pacey and Andie, especially season 4 onward where it was very obvious she no longer had her own inner strength.

I think Brooke is more like Pacey than Lucas is. She's selfless, she's got insecurity issues but she has a big heart. That's why I think she should have ended up alone rather than with Julian. Anyone who saw seasons 1-5 would know that Brooke would never love anyone like Lucas. I actually think Julian comes off like a consolation prize that Andie would appear like had Pacey not ended up with Joey. The only endgames I'd have accepted for Pacey was to end up with Joey or alone.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

Oh no, Pacey is more respectful and knowing what he wants unlike Lucas does since he always go back and pick random girl who is available for him.. While I agree w/ you partly when it comes to Brooke as Pacey, but at least Pacey fought for what he wants, but as long he just want to see Joey being happy and same w/ Brooke even she just let him go and whatever it happen then it happen..

I agree w/ you about Julian plus he's copy clone as Lucas since she can't have Lucas, but at least she can have something that similar as Lucas which that would be Julian.. Even Brooke/Lucas and Pacey/Joey def have lot of family issue that 4 of them prob understand each other, but yet all of them are really opposite which that's why their relationship may work out..

is that what you want?

Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think Lucas/Peyton as a Dawson/Joey friendship at all. If anything, Haley/Lucas had the Dawson/Joey friendship, although I was so thankful they never went the romantic route for them, that would have totally killed it for me, I loved their friendship.

I don't necessarily see Lucas/Peyton as soulmates either, I just really liked their relationship for some reason. I was most engrossed in their scenes, as well as Nathan/Haley's scenes.
I am an original”
Old 06-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Master Fan

I do wonder how their romantic chemistry would have been though (Lucas and Haley). I definately do not want them to happen but it`s one of those things I am curious about.

A comparison I do not get is between Damon and Pacey. I get that Damon has the stereotypical underdog role on The Vampire Diaries, but he has honestly never done a selfless thing in his life. I think he has a sense of entitlement that would make it impossible for him to let Elena off the hook.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I do wonder how their romantic chemistry would have been though (Lucas and Haley). I definately do not want them to happen but it`s one of those things I am curious about.

A comparison I do not get is between Damon and Pacey. I get that Damon has the stereotypical underdog role on The Vampire Diaries, but he has honestly never done a selfless thing in his life. I think he has a sense of entitlement that would make it impossible for him to let Elena off the hook.
*Shudders at the thought of Haley and Lucas. *

I haven't watched The Vampire Diaries, so I wouldn't know about the Daman comparison!
I am an original”
Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

Eww about Lucas/Haley in romantic relationship, but at least Haley is smart enough by not to get enough w/ him in more than a friend since what he did to all the girls..

Quote:
Since I kind of on and off watching The Vampire Diaries, so I notice that there are lot of comparison in between Damon and Pacey and it was kind of hilarious because like you said Damon haven't done any selfless unlike Pacey did plus at least Pacey is more respectful and accept the way everything that in the way unlike Damon who got piss off and start to kill someone else when he doesn't like it..

is that what you want?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaL80 (View Post)
I guess, the only comparison I can make with Pacey and Joey to my other favorite couples is that most of them are boys boys of various degrees and "good" girls who believe in them.
I think eli/clare are like dawson/joey and pacey/joey but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Forwood4Bamon; 03-11-2014 at 04:27 PM
Forwood4Bamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly me to the moon (View Post)

Since I kind of on and off watching The Vampire Diaries, so I notice that there are lot of comparison in between Damon and Pacey and it was kind of hilarious because like you said Damon haven't done any selfless unlike Pacey did plus at least Pacey is more respectful and accept the way everything that in the way unlike Damon who got piss off and start to kill someone else when he doesn't like it..
I definitely don't think anyone could really compare Damon and Pacey You said it right. Pacey was far more respectful and definitely not as selfish as Damon. Also I don't think Pacey killed anyone...

We are all stories in the end
Ms X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread