Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Dedicated Fan

Best episode..EVER?

Well, we recently went through what our favorite episodes from each season were, so what do you think is the best EVER episode of Dawson's Creek? Your criteria for "best" can be totally your own(funny, sad, romantic etc.)

I think I would have to go with the Pilot episode. It is one that I can watch from start to finish, without fast forwarding through any parts and it basically emboides each character and shows us the "core" of each of them.
Dawson the film-maker who "rejects reality" and creates his own reality; totally oblivious of the "real" world around him.(his best friend being in love with him, his "perfect" parents who are not so 'perfect" after all etc.)

Joey, the troubled girl down the creek with the spitfire attitude, girl next door looks and dedication to her best friend, who she secretly "angsts" for.

Pacey, the funny, lovable "bad boy" who shows us how "irresistable" he is to women of all ages from the very beginning of the show.

Jen, the mysterious girl from New York who yearns to escape her troubled past in a new town, but can't seem to shake who she really is: a strong, passionate, sometimes vulnerable young woman.

This episode just had it all to me: great storylines, great music, great scenery, intriguing characters that I instantly cared about and wanted to know more about , a cliffhanger ending, scenes that made me laugh, scenes that make me cry, scenes that made me nostalgic...all wrapped up in under 1 hour. <sigh>
Old 10-07-2004, 08:44 PM
MST Manager

The Longest Day

But, I am too lazy to type up all my reasons right now, LOL.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Loyal Fan

True Love, I was just so happy at the end!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Master Fan

Wow, this is a question that will have a million different answers. There's so many different criteria that someone can just the best episode ever on. It can depend on what the person looks to as entertainment, maybe its romance for some, comedy for others, realism for some, cheesy soap opera drama for others. People may base their answers on their favorite characters portrayal or one a few scenes that made the episode for them regardless of how well done the episode as a whole was.
THis is a tough one when I think of all of the episodes I really loved (Castaways, the finale, True Love, Coming Home) but I'm going to go with NikNak on this one. The Longest Day was an all around great episode by my standards. I love angst and drama, Im not one for happy shiny people in love and having a lovely life, it just gets boring. And I thought that every single character put their all into their storylines in this episode, the acting was great. I liked the general plotline, the same day acted out according to different points of view, and as a personal perk it featured my two favorite characters at the bud of their relationship. I also thought everything in the episode was extremely true to character and realistic. Yes, I think Dawsons reaction was on target, yes I thought Joeys hesitance was on target, yes I thought Paceys insecurity was on target and yes though Andie's disappointment was on target. All together I think the elements in TLD made it the best episode ever.

Last edited by Sugz; 10-08-2004 at 12:52 AM
Old 10-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Elite Fan

I really like Future Tense and Clean and Sober.

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
Old 10-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Administrator

My favorite Dawson's Creek episode of all time is Season One's Pretty Woman, because that was the episode when Dawson finally “took off the blinders” and saw what he had in Joey, and I loved the fact that we also saw that Joey had the presence of mind in that episode to tell Dawson that she didn’t want him to love her simply because of what she looked like, but for who she was, and she walked away from him, until he was ready to love and accept her on her own terms, telling him that she wanted him to realize that what they had together was so much more incredible than some passing physical attraction, because, as she put it so perfectly, “I thought this was what I wanted. For you to see me as beautiful. For you to look at me the way that you look at Jen. But the truth is I don't want that at all Dawson. I want you to look at me and see the person you've always known and realize that what we have is so much more incredible than some passing physical attraction, because you know what Dawson? This is just lipstick. And this is just hair spray. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up, and I'm going to be Joey. Just Joey. The too-tall girl from the wrong side of the creek.”

I also loved the scene in this episode when a tearful Joey, having overheard some of the other contestants talk about her in a particularly cruel way, was ready to quit the beauty pageant she had entered, but Dawson was right there for her, and he instinctively knew just what to say to her to make her feel better.

Joey: Dawson, don't try to get me to go back out there. God, I mean, setting myself up like this, I am such an idiot.

Dawson: Joey, listen to me. Look, you were phenomenal out there. Don't let these inbred idiots get you down. If you leave now you're never going to forgive yourself.

Joey: Look, I don't belong here Dawson. I mean look at me. I mean, how could I have stooped this low for money? I might as well have just sold myself on a street corner.

Dawson: Joey do you realize you could win this thing? Why do you think they're slamming you? They're terrified of you. They know that you can beat them.

Joey: I don't want their money Dawson. I don't want anything from these people. It makes me sick.

Dawson: I don't think it’s about the money anymore. Joey, I know we're not speaking right now, okay? But if we were, I would tell my best friend, who was always afraid to get up in front of class for show-and-tell, how incredibly proud I am of her. How I think she has got more guts and talent and strength of character than all the Hannah Von Whetting’s in the world put together.

Right after Dawson said those words to her, Joey went out, faced the crowd, and gave one of the most moving and heartfelt speeches that I’ve ever heard on the show, standing on her own two feet, and facing down the people who had gossiped so maliciously about her, thanks, to at least some degree, to Dawson’s inspirational words to her, and in that instance, he inspired and challenged her to reach into herself and speak with confidence, courage, and poise.

MC: For your final question, Miss Potter, please tell us what words of advice you would bestow upon today's youth.

Joey: I'd like to tell today's youth that no matter where life takes you, big cities, small towns, you'll inevitably come across small minds. People who think that they're better than you are. People who think that having material things, or being pretty or popular, automatically makes you a worth while human being. I'd like to tell today's youth that none of these things matter unless you have strength of character, integrity, sense of pride, and if you're lucky enough to have any one of these things, don't ever sell them. Don't ever sell out. So when you meet a person for the first time, please don't judge them by their station of life, because, who knows, that person just might end up being your best friend. Thank you.

I also loved the role Jen played in that episode, both as a supportive friend to Joey, and as a vulnerable young woman who realized that she loved the boy she had rejected due to her personal issues, and I thought that Pacey's line to her that “Could it be Cinderella's fairy godmother did her job a little too well? It looks like Prince Charming's found the owner of that glass slipper” was absolutely perfect. I loved it when Pacey asked her: “Tell me, is it the possibility of losing him to someone else that suddenly makes him seem so attractive?” and when Jen answered him: “You really think that I’m that shallow, huh?” he answered her: “No. I think you're that human.”

Still though, I felt sorry for Jen in that episode, as she realized, too late, that she had made a mistake by not giving her relationship with Dawson a chance, and I always considered it a real credit to Michelle Williams that she could make a character that was cast, and I quote, as the “mini skirted wedge between Dawson and Joey's true feelings for one another” look sympathetic and multi-dimensional. I also loved how Dawson supported Pacey as a friend in that episode, and how Pacey stood up for himself in an amusing but courageous way.

To me, Pretty Woman was the show of shows in what is for me, without a doubt, the best season of Dawson's Creek.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Part-Time Fan

My Favorite episode has to be "Coda" from Season 4. The ending was too sweet when Joey said what her and Dawson had was "pure magic'. Then throughout the episode I got the feeling that not everybody in the cast was coming back for season 5. Like the part when everybody was saying goodbye I thought was trying to send a message but I was way off on that one. I also loved how Dawson and Joey watched E.T. again on his bed like they did in the pilot. Then the kiss. Wow what a great episode.

"I'm going to make a lot of people eat their words when it's time," .
"Don't be my friend later. Keep it like it is. If you hate me now, hate me later." Vince Carter # 15 on all of his critics.

[Dawson/Joey]

Old 10-08-2004, 01:51 AM
Absolute Fan

"A Winter's Tale" is my favorite. Stolen Kisses, True Love, Castaways aren't far behind.

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Master Fan

Without a doubt The Longest Day. It was really well acted, I loved the angst, the drama, the way the story was told, the Pacey and Joey scenes were fantastic and the ending was heartbreaking. It is without a doubt one of the most defining episodes of the entire series. I just love it. And it is about the only episode (including Castaways) that I can watch from beginning to end without reaching for my remote control every few minutes.
Michael: Guess what, I have flaws. What are they? Oh, I don't know. I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me. No, don't sue me. That is the opposite of the point that I'm trying to make.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Master Fan

Thinking about the best episode ever in DC history is hard. What I did was think of the episode that showed the acting abilities of all the characters. The show that I watched over and over again and still found new angles that I hadn't noticed before. The show that made me laugh, made me cry, made me think "This is the reason I love this show". And the one episode, for me, is "The Longest Day".

The storyline was amazing and the way the show was directed was even better. Seeing the perspective of the beginning of the triangle from everybody's angle really made you think "This is going to be big. This is going to carry the show for a while." And everybody did a fantastic acting job.

Ali******Avi by *Angie*
Goodbye One Tree Hill
Old 10-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Well there are only two epiodes that I watch without FF through any scenes. And those would be The Longest Day and Castaways. And they are pretty opposite from one another. In TLD, PJ start out all lovey dovey and comfy with each other and it ends with them not really sure where their headed. Castaways starts with them arguing about what they mean to each other, and ends with them all lovey dovey.

I guess if I had to pick just one, it would be TLD.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Loyal Fan

castaways no question. It was pacey and joey centric and that made me the happiest person. And everythign was just..perfect!
Old 10-08-2004, 11:03 PM
New Fan

Wow thats a hard one. I cant choose just one! Stolen Kisses, The Longest Day, True Love, A Winters Tale, and Castaways are all my favorites. I think Clean and Sober is hilarious so i have to add that one to the list also. I can watch every one of those episodes over and over and never get tired of them. I just love Pacey/Joey
Pacey/Joey Nathan/Haley Seth/Summer Buffy/Spike Willow/Oz Brooke/Lucas Brooke/Mouth Jake/Peyton Ephram/Amy Scott/Shelby Craig/Manny Spinner/Manny Jackie/Hyde Chad/Sophia James/Joie (Anti- Buffy/Angel)(Anti- Craig/Ashley)

I Love Chad Michael Murray and Rachel Bilson!
Tyler Hilton -- not Chris -- but Tyler
Old 10-09-2004, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Pilot, Clean & Sober, Castaways.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Loyal Fan

The Longest Day. It has everything in it. Great acting from all, especially Josh, Katie and James. Heaps of angst, drama, a very hot grope and kissing fest scene from P/J, a myriad of emotions on display, a sad ending. Each character had a defined role to play and played it to the hilt. I like how Jen was there for both Joey and Dawson and her role in, inadvertantly, being the one to reveal P/J's secret to Dawson. The only scene in this ep that I might fast forward through is Jen's scenes with Henry. There was also Dawson's hurt, anger and selfishness in his role as the 'betrayed' one. Joey stuck between a rock and a hard place between the two guys she loved, one as a friend one, in the romantic sense, her role as the girl who came between two friends and capitulates to emotional blackmail and in the process breaking her boyfriend's heart and poor Pacey, the 'backstabber' who hurts not just for himself and Joey but for the friend he knows will feel feel betrayed, and his attempts to do the right thing not making a jot of difference because he loses the girl anyway. Fantastic. I think it probably is the best episode of the whole series because it's not just about your favourite couple being cute.