Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney
Bones

Yeah, the nervous line was delivered horribly in my opinion.
msstock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Master Fan

^

It just didn't come off as sexy, which I am sure was the intent. It came off as smug and arrogant.
posterity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney
Bones

YES!!!! Smug and arrogant would be how I would describe it too.

I just can't believe he thinks he could make Joey nervous like that anymore. If anything she was nervous about letting him down again.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Master Fan

Exactly. At that point she already knew she no longer had romantic feelings for him. She loved him in an innocent and childlike way because of their history while she loved Pacey in an adult way; sexually, emotionally, and physically. However she knew he felt romantic feelings for her and she probably felt bad for him. She knew he wasn't what she wanted and trying to break that to him would be difficult.

Dawson's speech to Joey in True Love is so badly delivered that JVDB should have been told to re-act the scene. When Dawson starts to try when he tells Joey he should have made her go to Paris, the deliver is cringeworthy. Followed by "I wanted you to stay here with me..." Another very badly delivered line. I think the crying was so overtly bad we overlook the other equally terrible things wrong with that acting and scene.

The only good acting in that scene was when he says her being with Pacey is a colossal mistake and all roads will lead back to him. JVDB was very good at selling a selfish and self-absorbed Dawson. I truly bought that Dawson thought that more than I bought Dawson being vulnerable about letting Joey go just because of the quality of acting in both parts of the scene.

Last edited by posterity; 06-20-2013 at 07:47 PM
Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney
Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)
Exactly. At that point she already knew she no longer had romantic feelings for him. She loved him in an innocent and childlike way because of their history while she loved Pacey in an adult way; sexually, emotionally, and physically. However she knew he felt romantic feelings for her and she probably felt bad for him. She knew he wasn't what she wanted and trying to break that to him would be difficult.

Dawson's speech to Joey in True Love is so badly delivered that JVDB should have been told to re-act the scene. When Dawson starts to try when he tells Joey he should have made her go to Paris, the deliver is cringeworthy. Followed by "I wanted you to stay here with me..." Another very badly delivered line. I think the crying was so overtly bad we overlook the other equally terrible things wrong with that acting and scene.

The only good acting in that scene was when he says her being with Pacey is a colossal mistake and all roads will lead back to him. JVDB was very good at selling a selfish and self-absorbed Dawson. I truly bought that Dawson thought that more than I bought Dawson being vulnerable about letting Joey go just because of the quality of acting in both parts of the scene.

Her love for Pacey was completely different than what she felt for Dawson, and I think the moment she danced with Dawson she realized it once and for all.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)

Dawson's speech to Joey in True Love is so badly delivered that JVDB should have been told to re-act the scene. When Dawson starts to try when he tells Joey he should have made her go to Paris, the deliver is cringeworthy. Followed by "I wanted you to stay here with me..." Another very badly delivered line. I think the crying was so overtly ba we overlook the other equally terrible things wrong with that acting and scene.

Ive always found it difficult to see his True Love dock scene as a "if you love someone set them free" situation. He basically said this is going to fail epically but you wont be able to blame me.
Anti-Soulmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney
Bones

I can't take the dock scene seriously at all. His speech was selfish, and his face while it was supposed to be sad, was too funny.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think the writers forgot people are supposed to like the main character of a show towards the end of that season. Part of me wants to look back at some of Dawsons lines and see if the words sound more sympathetic if they would have been delivered differently
Anti-Soulmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Master Fan

I hate when people say that Dawson was made out to appear like a villian to aid the Pacey/Joey pairing as if he had not already displayed these traits beforehand. He never even noticed Joey's existence in season 1 until she dressed herself up in some nice outfit and did her hair. When Pacey noticed her well before that and tried to tell Dawson, he acted possessively for an instant, despite the fact that he was into Jen. He probably shrugged it off then because he knew Pacey had no chance at the time, not because he actually wanted Pacey to go for it.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney
Bones

I have tried that, but to me they always come across as selfish. Especially the line, " you're free". Joey wasn't his property!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Master Fan

This is hilarious. I can't believe this horrible line from KW. Sometimes I think he is Dawson in real life.

Quote:
But what did that mean for Dawson and Joey’s relationship?
KW: In my mind, I know I’ve said this until I’m blue in the face, but Dawson and Joey are together. They are soul mates. He created a show about her. They are going to live forever. They are immortalized in Dawson’s world. It’s also my way of saying let’s look at the word “soul mate” and let’s redefine it. Dawson and Joey are soul mates forever [but] your soul mate is not necessarily your romantic love.
Isn't that completely sad? How humilating for Dawson.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Dawson's Creek

I thought Dawson was actually supposed to be based on KW?

Last edited by ChristinaL80; 06-22-2013 at 12:09 PM
ChristinaL80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Moderator Support Team

^ Yeah, I remember that KW mentioned in someplace that he's like Dawson in real life or something in the line..

Dawson and Joey are so awful to each other and more, so how they can be soulmate when they treat each other like a crap and stuff..

Steph/credit: crash landing
fly me to the moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Master Fan

I read something that made me burst out laughing. Some opinions that James and Katie had an amazing offscreen friendship. I think some people are trying to pretend that James was Josh or something. It's so obvious by their bad onscreen chemistry that they weren't that close or anything. I am sure they were friends but not at the level of Josh and Katie. It was so obvious onscreen how close Josh and Katie were offscreen by how much they ad-libbed a lot of their romantic moments and even friendship ones.

I recently saw out-takes for Castaways and Josh and Katie would literally be having conversations in between their lines so that when they said "action" they'd start their lines and morph into Pacey and Joey but when the scene was over they were back to their conversation. It's so obvious they are the ones who had the close friendship and the bad chemistry between Dawson and Joey reveals their mediocre behind the scenes friendship.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Disney
Bones

Josh and Katie just did have a better chemistry and better friendship in real life. I am sure James and Katie were friends, but not at the level Josh and Katie were.

I also remember Kevin saying he was like Dawson too, but I think he said he put some of himself in Pacey too, I am not sure if I am remembering that correctly or not.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top