Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Back in the day (and my friend, Jerry/Administrator can back this up) the Anti-threads were refreshing. They were necessary. Given how TPTB decided to essentially split apart the vast majority of the fanbase... without these threads a large portion of general threads turned into World War I, II III combined. Also, people needed a place to vent without worrying about others disagreeing. They wanted to rant and have others relate and understand.

Seriously, if ever a show/board needed the anti/unappreciation threads it certainly was this one. Of course it's not as tense now as it was back in the day.
They were necessary; the Couple Wars were sooo bad. Part of the reason I stopped posting here and began posting on I Hate Jen! was because FF had to become strict about the rules and keeping it a PG-13 board otherwise eventually no one would want to post. People hated the characters, the actors, the writers, each other. Every. Little. Thing turned into a huge fight. Someone could start a thread as neutral as asking what was one's favorite song and it turned into a shipper war. I was guilty of it too. I needed to vent and I needed to be able to use R-rated terminology to rip characters, actors, and other posters to shreds, so I found IHJ to be a breath of snarky air. Not to mention it was notoriously anti-Dawson.

I think now, after the show is ended, maybe D/J fans still need these anti-threads but P/J fans really don't. They're anti-P/J, anti-Season 3, anti-Season 6; they're delusional about the fact that season 3 revived a slagging show, and that it was Kevin Williamson's choice, and his alone, to have Joey pick Pacey. They need it more than we do. Being that Joey picked Pacey we're certainly not as bitter as they are. Dawson is a loser and a horrible friend and his and Joey's relationship was co-dependent and unhealthy but repeating it over and over seems unnecessary because Joey didn't want him anyway. I would only want to post after one of the episodes that he's acting like a whining little brat, but I'm comforted by the fact that he ends up alone with his ego to keep him company.

Last edited by Azaiya; 09-21-2015 at 03:47 AM
Azaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

We do understand there is a divide of fans for DC which is why the Anti D/Jo and Anti P/Jo and others are still active.

icon credit: crash landing
JJH85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaiya (View Post)
They were necessary; the Couple Wars were sooo bad. Part of the reason I stopped posting here and began posting on I Hate Jen! was because FF had to become strict about the rules and keeping it a PG-13 board otherwise eventually no one would want to post. People hated the characters, the actors, the writers, each other. Every. Little. Thing turned into a huge fight. Someone could start a thread as neutral as asking what was one's favorite song and it turned into a shipper war. I was guilty of it too. I needed to vent and I needed to be able to use R-rated terminology to rip characters, actors, and other posters to shreds, so I found IHJ to be a breath of snarky air. Not to mention it was notoriously anti-Dawson.

I think now, after the show is ended, maybe D/Jers fans still need these anti-threads but P/J fans really don't. They're anti-P/J, anti-Season 3, anti-Season 6; they're delusional about the fact that season 3 revived a slagging show, and that it was Kevin Williamson's choice, and his alone, to have Joey pick Pacey. They need it more than we do. Being that Joey picked Pacey we're certainly not as bitter as they are. Dawson is a loser and a horrible friend and his and Joey's relationship was co-dependent and unhealthy but repeating it over and over seems unnecessary because Joey didn't want him anyway. I would only want to post after one of the episodes he's acting like a whining little brat, but I'm comforted by the fact that he ends up alone with his ego to keep him company.
That's suprising since this place seems pretty together, but I've only been here for a year lol. Then again I can see it. It's like Scandal, you should see how PSYCHOTIC some (Olitz) fans are, especially towards anyone that likes Jake or Olake (and they remind me of Pacey/Joey) I don't get why some act so insane over a fictional show, couples, and characters.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
That's suprising since this place seems pretty together, but I've only been here for a year lol. Then again I can see it. It's like Scandal, you should see how PSYCHOTIC some (Olitz) fans are, especially towards anyone that likes Jake or Olake (and they remind me of Pacey/Joey) I don't get why some act so insane over a fictional show, couples, and characters.
I don't get it either, and I don't think I ever will.
Speedychatterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can understand how fans can be disappointed if their favs don't end up together, but what I don't get is how/why they can be so nasty when posting about it. There was someone on Twitter that was so upset that Nina Dobrev left The Vampire Diaries that they attacked Julie Plec and even said things like she deserves every bad thing that happens to her. It got really scary actually and very obsessive and I just don't get that mentality.

Anyway, people have the right not to like a character, I wasn't a fan of Dawson throughout most of the show, so of course I didn't want him to end up with Joey, but at the same time there were a lot of good DJo scenes that I enjoyed.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Dawson's Creek

I'm guilty of ranting about my favorite shows as well, but it does get way out of hand sometimes, especially on Twitter. It does get scary. I don't watch The Vampire Diaries, but I've seen some of the tweets. WOW!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Elite Fan

Oh yeah, when some resort to personally attacking the actors is the worst. That's another thing some Scandal (mainly Olitz) fans do. The way they attack Scott Foley is pathetic and sad but I think it's best not to pay attention to some wackos that need professional help so whatever. Speaking from personal experience, the worst I've seen are Olitz fans and some soap fans. Since I still watch Scandal there have been many times I was attacked for like Jake/Olake on Youtube and I was also attacked for liking Evangeline on One Life to Live. Some need to get a grip lmao.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH85 (View Post)
I can understand how fans can be disappointed if their favs don't end up together, but what I don't get is how/why they can be so nasty when posting about it. There was someone on Twitter that was so upset that Nina Dobrev left The Vampire Diaries that they attacked Julie Plec and even said things like she deserves every bad thing that happens to her. It got really scary actually and very obsessive and I just don't get that mentality.

Anyway, people have the right not to like a character, I wasn't a fan of Dawson throughout most of the show, so of course I didn't want him to end up with Joey, but at the same time there were a lot of good DJo scenes that I enjoyed.
Not only attacking the actor, but stating incorrect information about the character that didn't happen on the show or the terms they use to described the character is misinterpretations and depections of the characters.

I am such a stickler of facts that I have defended characters I don't particular like because what was said about them was untrue.

Last edited by Speedychatterbox; 09-22-2015 at 07:52 AM
Speedychatterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Dedicated Fan

I agree. That's what pulled me into the Couple Wars, the twisting of the facts. Then someone would end up insulting me or my intelligence and it would go on from there.

I did say "actors" but for me it was really just jokes about Dawson's forehead or nostril-flaring, which I know now was mean. But others would go to the extreme. I don't understand that either. Thankfully it was never as bad as what I hear about Twilight fans. I read LaineyGossip and she posted a few examples of what Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart fans would email her after she posted articles after they broke up. I thought she was exaggerating until I read them. It was craaaazy. Lainey is Asian and they sent her truly vile, racist, sickening emails. And what's even crazier is they weren't even angry at what was happening with the characters, they were angry at what she was reporting about the actors. I don't understand people who "ship" actors' relationships. I understand thinking a couple is cute together, I do that with anyone, actors, friends, relatives... but to "ship" them? To make videos and artwork? I don't get it.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

Bringing this over from the p/j thread because I think it's better fitted for this thread:

I just started season six. My tv station is showing three episodes per day. I watched the episode where Dawson and joey sleep together and he didn't tell her about Natasha.

She had every right to be annoyed at that. I can understand how it would make her feel bad. Should it be the end of the world, probably not. But....wow. I can't even believe how much Dawson acted like a jerk after it. Not one "sorry". He wasn't even remotely remorseful. He is a condescending jerk to her and tried to play reverse psychology and call her a little girl, etc and try to make her think like it's her fault. He tried to make her feel guilty for the past again too.

He can't just stay on topic ever. Everyhig has to be long, drawn out and melodramatic. He would be the most annoying human to ever be around in real life. He could have just said simply, I apologize, I should have told you. But what he turns it into is nauseating. I don't think I've ever hated a tv character as much as I hate him.

Him and joey would NEVER work because him and ANYONE would never work. He is too much of a know it all, self centered and condescending jerk to ever be in a healthy relationship. I fully believe that 12 years later Dawson leery is still alone and pondering why he can't make it work with anyone, blaming it all on joey still, while writing fake sad and pathetic storylines of him and joey being together on his tv show just to help his bruised ego.
I could feel everything he was feeling. I could feel his loneliness. For the first time I was really seeing Max Evans, I saw me as he saw me, and the amazing thing was, in his eyes, I was beautiful. - Liz Parker
DaiSy TiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You are right, that is better here. Poor Dawson.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Master Fan

I just watched Stolen Kisses and I am reminded of the biggest problem I have with Dawson and Joey. I feel as if every character on the show shoved down our throats how much Dawson and Joey were meant to be together because of their history but we never saw this represented in their romantic saga or even in their friendship.

Aunt Gwen is one of my least favourite guest stars. Her behaviour towards Joey and Pacey was reprehensible. I did not like how she banished Pacey to go back inside while she chastised Joey for following her impulses by kissing Pacey. Something she did herself with Richard. Then she tried to help Dawson along by telling him to visualize his future, in hopes that he would see Joey and fight for her, when she knew Joey had feelings for Pacey at this point.

I also watched The Longest Day and I am reminded of how awesome that episode was written, but it is also so frustrating to watch Dawson and Joey after he finds out about Pacey, and the ultimatums he gives her. She was just beginning to figure out that what she had with Pacey was serious (i.e. confessing that she needed him), and was forced to give it all up because of some misplaced fear that Dawson put into her head that she would not be able to last with Pacey and she would have no friends if she chose Pacey rather than him.

I have to admit that I really enjoyed that Dawson and Joey scene, not for the chemistry, which I have always felt they lacked, even in season 1, but because I loved the dialogue. She finally admitted out loud that she needed Pacey, and their interaction as a whole exposed why they did not work as a romantic duo.
posterity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't care for Gwen either, and her obsession with trying to figure out why Dawson and Joey broke up and why their not together now was really silly and immature to me. The only thing I did understand was after she saw Pacey and Joey kiss, she said it would of been bad if Dawson saw that and that they need to tell him. I personally understood that, but yeah what I don't understand is after saying that and seeing that Pacey and Joey have feelings for each other (and when I rewatched the episodes last year when Pacey says hey to Joey and they share that look before she walks away in the kitchen, Gwen noticed it so I think she suspected something. Oh and before that when Dawson and Joey were explaining why they didn't work out and Joey said "Then he asked Pacey to look out for me" and she said "What does Pacey have to do with this?" I wonder if she suspected something then too) she pushes Dawson to be with Joey and get her back. WTF? That just makes the situation more messy so in general I don't get her idiotic actions.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
I didn't care for Gwen either, and her obsession with trying to figure out why Dawson and Joey broke up and why their not together now was really silly and immature to me. The only thing I did understand was after she saw Pacey and Joey kiss, she said it would of been bad if Dawson saw that and that they need to tell him. I personally understood that, but yeah what I don't understand is after saying that and seeing that Pacey and Joey have feelings for each other (and when I rewatched the episodes last year when Pacey says hey to Joey and they share that look before she walks away in the kitchen, Gwen noticed it so I think she suspected something. Oh and before that when Dawson and Joey were explaining why they didn't work out and Joey said "Then he asked Pacey to look out for me" and she said "What does Pacey have to do with this?" I wonder if she suspected something then too) she pushes Dawson to be with Joey and get her back. WTF? That just makes the situation more messy so in general I don't get her idiotic actions.
I know right?! The entire episode Joey was making it clear that something was going on with her and Pacey, and Gwen saw it. I truly did not understand why she would tell Joey that she needed to be honest with Dawson, and then simultaneously attempt to convince Dawson that he had a chance to get back with Joey. She came across like a hypocrite, considering her own history.

I love how the dialogue from the characters favors PJo:

Will: "Isn't it better to have a short time with someone you love than someone who is basically your roomate?"

I also love how Gwen points out that Richard made her feel alive, which is what Joey admitted Pacey made her feel. I truly think she confused her deep friendship with Dawson as something romantic because they were straight and of opposite genders. However, Pacey made her feel a sexual/physical passion she had never experienced before, and obviously it made her realize that romantic love is not necessarily found in the friendship bonds of our childhood.
posterity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)
I just watched Stolen Kisses and I am reminded of the biggest problem I have with Dawson and Joey. I feel as if every character on the show shoved down our throats how much Dawson and Joey were meant to be together because of their history but we never saw this represented in their romantic saga or even in their friendship.
So much word to this. I really liked DJ in the beginning..when I first saw the promo for Dawson's Creek..I was so excited with the boy and the girl next door story. But I felt like the show kept missing the opportunities they had to put DJ together. It's like they wanted to keep them apart to prolong the 'inevitable'..and they just ended up waiting too long and DJ missed their chance to be anything more than good friends.

Quote:
Aunt Gwen is one of my least favourite guest stars. Her behaviour towards Joey and Pacey was reprehensible. I did not like how she banished Pacey to go back inside while she chastised Joey for following her impulses by kissing Pacey. Something she did herself with Richard. Then she tried to help Dawson along by telling him to visualize his future, in hopes that he would see Joey and fight for her, when she knew Joey had feelings for Pacey at this point.
I love Claire but Aunt Gwen sucked! How annoying was she! She left her husband to be with some dude that she ended up falling in love with but she's the one telling Joey ...who is NOT EVEN WITH DAWSON that she's doing something wrong? I'm sorry but is Joey Dawson's possession? And she interrupted an amazing PJ kiss that I was waiting forever for...trash.

Quote:
I also watched The Longest Day and I am reminded of how awesome that episode was written, but it is also so frustrating to watch Dawson and Joey after he finds out about Pacey, and the ultimatums he gives her. She was just beginning to figure out that what she had with Pacey was serious (i.e. confessing that she needed him), and was forced to give it all up because of some misplaced fear that Dawson put into her head that she would not be able to last with Pacey and she would have no friends if she chose Pacey rather than him.
Dawson using Joey's fear of losing the one stable thing she's had since her childhood to further his agenda of forcing her to be with him was one of the saddest thing I saw. Especially to a couple who was considered 'soulmates'.