Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2020, 08:55 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Yeah, Joey couldn't deny her feelings and love for Pacey once they danced. No one watching them in that room could deny it lol. Joey was fighting a losing battle with that one.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

As much as I think this episode is remembered more because of that one dance, I can't help but be a little disappointed that there wasn't a little better story line for Jack and Ethan. There was so much potential to make it all about them and the acceptance of that type of relationship. I give credit to the writers for trying, but I think it could have been a little better. Having said that I still swoon over that PJo dance.

icon credit: crash landing
JJH85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

Well I think the biggest problem is once they had Dawson vocalize that he planned the entire thing for Joey, it drew the attention right back to the triangle. Even if the audience could overlook the beauty of the PJo dance, and they could not as it becomes the defining moment of the episode, once you have a character openly admit that the dance is no longer about misfit gay teenagers, the focus changes.

I always wonder what the writers thought would happen with PJo after season 3. They knew the actors had chemistry that was difficult to conceal, hence having no scenes in season 2 IMO. But when they write scenes like "I remember everything," and allow the chemistry to completely overwhelm our screens, how did they think that anything other than a PJo endgame was going to sell after this? The combination of the writing and the chemistry completely ate right through any other pairings fanbase. So many people jumped off other ships and right onto PJ, and refused to budge (even after the season 5 fiasco).
PJ_always87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_always87 (View Post)

I always wonder what the writers thought would happen with PJo after season 3. They knew the actors had chemistry that was difficult to conceal, hence having no scenes in season 2 IMO. But when they write scenes like "I remember everything," and allow the chemistry to completely overwhelm our screens, how did they think that anything other than a PJo endgame was going to sell after this? The combination of the writing and the chemistry completely ate right through any other pairings fanbase. So many people jumped off other ships and right onto PJ, and refused to budge (even after the season 5 fiasco).
I completely agree, I've read comments from fans who started out as DJo fans and switched during S3 when they saw the chemistry between the two of them. That story line is what saved the show according to many articles over the years. At least that's my understanding of things based on what I've read and heard.

icon credit: crash landing
JJH85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:04 AM
Cardcaptor Queen

I heard too that the Pacey/Joey love story was the saving grace of S3 since many people hated some of the other experimental storylines of the season. It's still nothing compared to crappy S5 and 6 IMO.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:13 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_always87 (View Post)
I don't think she chose Dawson in a romantic sense. She just felt scared that the only "home" she knew wouldn't be there if she reached for more. IMO that was pretty manipulative of Dawson to hold that over her head, knowing that she came from a less than stellar home and idealized the family that he had. Instead of showing her why they fit together romantically, he manipulated her through fear and familiarity.
Yeah exactly. And Joey actually chose Pacey romantically - and it was pretty clear that Pacey was who she wanted to be with from the get go, she even says in 323 that if she knew Dawson would forgive her she "may have" (as in totally would have) chose differently. I mean, it'd been almost a year since they broke up, in 313 she said how she "felt" for Dawson, not how she "feels" meaning past tense. She was pretty much over him romantically from early/mid season 3 on, I think. It was always more of the platonic connection they had, the history, how important he used to be (and how he still was as a friend) that kept her still entangled with him (still confusing her feelings for romantic ones a few times too before fully getting over that.) - all the times she had to "choose" between them. Pacey in season 3 and Pacey in the series finale to be with together for good. I don't think that's her choosing Dawson over Pacey, that's for sure haha.
clarkson_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think season 3 set the tone for the triangle for the rest of the series. Joey trying to decipher whether her feelings for Dawson were romantic or platonic, and often confusing the two. Joey also recognizing she had strong romantic and/or sexual feelings for Pacey that she firmly knew were not platonic, given that they did not have the complex familial history growing up. Her taking advantage of this understanding until a direct choice had to be made, and in the season 3 finale and the series finale she recognizes that romantically she wants to be with Pacey.
PJ_always87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:30 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I agree, it's obvious Joey was over Dawson by mid S3 at the latest. She only got territorial in a familiar sense, not a romantic catty one (like when she blew up over Pacey and Jen making out) and I also agree that she basically stuck with Dawson in an abuse victim way cause she grew up with Dawson (Pacey too, but anyway) and he was a very close family friend to her when her mother died, and she was scared of losing that but didn't have romantic feelings and love for Dawson like she did Pacey. Plus, it didn't help that Joey looked like she was trying to pass a kidney stone when she was basically trapped with Dawson until she was finally free to run to the man she always wanted: Pacey.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was obvious by this episode and the dance that Joey’s heart was with Pacey. She was scared of losing her friendship with Dawson though.
I am an original”
msstock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread