View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 11:42 PM
Lethally Floral
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I enjoy the show but am not rooting for Joe, I’m rooting for the women he falls for to get away safely. You don’t need to sympathise with a serial killer in order to watch a show about them.

I don’t get offended by his character, we are talking about fans romanticising him. It’s something Penn keeps repeating over and over too. I just see the character for who he is.
We're on the same page with this. The voice overs are hilarious. The observations are hilarious. There's an outlet to laugh at Joe's delusions too. But I don't need to sympathize with him. I can enjoy his journey and root for his ultimate comeuppance.

Quote:
And honestly, it disgusts me when I read comments about how Becks "deserved" what came to her because she was annoying/flip floppy with her decisions/cheated on Joe etc. That is EXACTLY the sort of victim blaming that happens in RL too, just because a person makes some bad decisions doesn't mean they deserve to be killed violently. Just saying, even though it shouldn't even need to be said.
Yep. Or how people don't understand why Joe falls for characters like Beck and Love as if what is wrong with Joe is his taste in women. Yeah. No. The fact that these women are more complicated than Joe gives them credit for is part of the main point. He idolizes the fantasy of them and then feels "betrayed" when they don't live up to the ideal he created of them. That's not the fault of the women, IMO.

Quote:
The show is not just about Joe slaughtering women, that’s a generalisation IMO. It’s basically exploring the pysche of a entitled white male in America and the lengths of his obsession with his love interests.
Yep. And honestly, the book highlighted this better, IMO. If there's one thing I'm not loving about the show, it's how they're giving Joe this backstory involving abuse and the twist they did with Love.

Book spoiler
Spoiler:

Making Love as capable of murder as Joe may have highlighted a bit more that even a woman on the same plane as he is won't actually satisfy him (as in, there is literally no one out there for Joe), but it undermines the overarching theme.