View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 05:01 PM
-Alicia-
Fan Forum Star

Helen♥Barry #6: b/c They had sex on the beach and fooled around in the back of the car. Enough said.

Barry/Helen Appreciation Thread

I know what you did last summer

Taking on roles that in theory sound nauseatingly unoriginal and void of depth, the fair haired and sadly fallen teenage duo--Barry Cox & Helen Shivers--are unquestionably the highlight of the film with endearingly cocky representations of the tough boy jock and flawless Beauty Queen. Kevin Williamson’s sardonic wit as a screenwriter is matched perfectly with the radiant acting ability of RP & SMG as they play the sexy anti-hero and sugary sweet heroine. The freshness and realism they breathe into their roles is less After School Special and more Best Part of the Film Enjoyable. Hel/Bar really are the major allure of the movie. And the profanely attractive twosome give ample reason to fantasize about IKWYDLS years after you forget the plot or the dull as dishwater characters that outlived them.

Helen to Barry: Come sit in the back. I’ll let you do things to me.

There is an undeniable chemistry between Ryan Philippe (Barry) and Sarah Michelle Gellar (Helen) that blossomed sexily in this 1997 horror flick/box office success and hit its peak two years later in their second collaboration Cruel Intentions. We can only pray that these talented and exceptionally beautiful cinematic stars team up for a third film. And hope that their sex appeal and scene-stealing skills would be enough to grant whatever characters they play a pass at death.

Barry: A toast to us. To our last summer of immature adolescent decadence.

They didn‘t deserve to die because they did each other all last summer and the one before that. Or because they are fond of getting their buzz on. It is being prejudiced against the sexually active and socially liberating. Would the lackluster Ennui that somehow lived to waste another day tackle who they thought was the killer in broad daylight, curse out a police officer, call the “threatening” note “a crock of bull****”, jump into the murky sepulcher of sea to retrieve a tiara, break a car window and climb out of it in a flimsy dress and high heels, stand guard all day and night to protect their lover, or jump out of a second story window?

Barry to Helen: I won’t let anything happen to you.

The horror events unfolding brought them closer together instead of driving them further apart. Your heart warms seeing him sitting on her bed comforting her after the villain snuck into her room and chopped off her prized hair, hugging her and promising to protect her, sitting protectively on the parade float with her, standing guard on the balcony. Seeing them realize that they do have strong feelings for each other and they weren’t together in the past because of their status. They learned from their turmoil and became better, stronger people for it. Showing character growth and likeability that surpassed that of the brunette half of the quadrangle, their tragic deaths make you lose interest in how the movie ends because your reason for tuning in has been snuffed as well.

Helen: By that time I'll just be finishing my two year contract with Guiding Light,
coinciding with your first year as starting quarterback for the Steelers.
Barry: Cowboys.
Helen: Whatever. Then we can elope to Europe, or the Caymans, wherever,
where I'll let you impregnate me with the first of 3 children
before you head off to rehab. Then we can live happily, blah blah blah.

This Slasher Flick is worth watching for Helen/Barry. That is, if you can manage to stomach Jennifer Love Hewitt as Julie (hit mute and just stare at her breasts when she’s whining) with her perpetual Evil Eye stare of Utter Disappointment, shameless berating of fellow stalker victims, and mopey “woe is me” persona. Somehow she and her banshee shriek survived to torment audiences in the sequel though in the first half hour of this film she defied the age-old cliché of having to stay a virgin (I guess “virginal” counts now?) before she participated in the hit-and-bury-in-the-ocean. Jules lived while her much sweeter and a lot less irritating bff got stabbed with a hook, proving one thing for moralists; while sex sells at the box office it won’t save your life. Acting like you are PMSing 24/7 will. We got the message. She felt guilty. Stop bitching about it. Flunking out of University, dumping your boyfriend, and making your mother think you’re on crack won’t help the situation. We only forgive J Love for her role as The Annoying Virginal Survivor because she warmed our hearts as Melinda Gordon in Ghost Whisperer.

Bad Boy Jock & Beauty Pageant Winner

These lovers shine in this killer thriller

Future Thread Titles

b/c "That's my girl! That's my girl! That's my girlfriend!"
b/c He called her incredible when she was on stage
b/c He let her wear his jacket even though it was cold out
b/c The camera panned on them when Julie said "dangers of premarital sex"
b/c She helped him dump the killer's body when Ray chickened out
b/c Even the Croaker Queen needs a suitable King to rule with

Barry/Helen Shippers:

Wilywiccan
I love Jenna Jameson