View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 04:19 AM
Abomasum
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Everwood is a tough show to beat!
Hell, yeah, it is! That being said, Everwood is not the last show I actually enjoyed. I'm not that picky. It's obviously on top of the list and presumably always will be, but there have been some things I did enjoy. Just not in the recent past, and often more for their sense of humor rather than beautiful storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
I watched the first two seasons but ended up dropping it. It's just not my cup of tea, so I totally understand! If Emily wouldn't have been starring in The Resident I never would have checked it out even for a second. I never watch ER, GA, or any of the Chicago Shows. I just don't care for hospital/medical shows. I don't even really like police shows but watched Rookie Blue for Greg. But that was actually a pretty good shows. Now, I know The Resident is good and has some quality, but the medical cases make me nervous and stressed (yes, this Research Psychologist has issues with Anxiety LOL). It became a chore to tune in. I love Emily but I just had to stop.
I can relate, the hospital/medical focus isn't my thing either. Not because of the medical content, I am very much interested in medicine - but I would definitely prefer to read a medical encyclopaedia over seeing the topic slaughtered on ill-informed TV shows. But aside from that, I mostly don't enjoy these shows because I don't think medical facilities provide the right setting to tell a meaningful character-driven story; with all the distraction of constant medical catastrophes. Good storytelling doesn't need that, it is able to glorify the joys and tragedies of everyday life. And even if I am not much of a reader most of the time, I do expect a TV show to be as well-written as a good novel; the events they explore should have purpose and meaning within the story as a whole, and that' just not the case with medical or procedural dramas. Which doesn't mean I don't occasionally enjoy watching these shows, but for the most part they're literary candy - no nutritional value.

And I certainly have more than my fair share of experience with anxiety, so it makes total sense that you had to stop watching despite your love for Emily. I have pretty severe OCD, and the sequence in which they passed the germs on through the entire hospital was awful for me. Because I actually do see the world like that and have to try very hard not to - I don't need any reminders. It's one thing if there's a point to it, but there wasn't. I definitely would've stopped watching if that had become a regular thing, however much I love Emily.

Quote:
100%. She deserved an award. I love how the critics all know this. Of course the Emmy's are all about the big networks which is ridiculous. No matter, the right people understand how great Emily was in this role. She lit up the screen.
I had no idea that network politics would have been such a big factor in this; these things don't really make their way across the big pond; we don't have all the same networks. That's a shame. But I am glad that Emily's greatness was at least acknowledged by the critics.

Quote:
She is! She could have gone into professional dance but just stumbled upon acting... and knocked it out of the park. She is a natural. I wonder if she researched Clinical Depression before taking on Amy Season 2. She was marvelous, and like you said, the fact that she has never experienced depression herself (thankfully!) makes it even more amazing she nailed it.
You would think she had to have had some sort of knowledge about depression to do it as well as she did, so I would almost want to say she must have researched it. That or she had second-hand experience. Either way, she was amazing - and there should be so much more portrayal of mental illness on TV as honest as hers.