View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 04:44 AM
Crystal Clear
Fan Forum Hero

INDIE/DRAMA - I.T. (1990)

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

The first half and second half other mini-series are equally compelling. Well acted by both the child and adult actors, and a strong continuation of Pennywise haunting them. Also, that scene with Georgie where the camera slowly zooms in on Pennywise's teeth as he's about to eat him is WAY scarier and more suggestive than anything in the new versions.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

It could have gone further with the scares factor. I think it's great for its time, and Tim Curry does a fantastic job (and is still the superior actor in that role), but I think they tried so hard to keep it PG-13 that they played it too safe with the amount of horror/gore shown.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

I always liked Ben. Shy yet friendly, unquestionably loyal, waits in the wings for the love of his life Beverly and suffers the trauma of being judged by his weight as a child (and becomes a womanizing alcoholic to try and block out the pain of those memories). He felt like one of the more realistic characters of the group, with Richie.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

In terms of how you're supposed to hate him, it would have to be Henry Bowers. I credit how watchable he is to the talent of the young actor who plays him in the first half of the series. The unfortunate thing about Henry is that he seems the less dumb of his group of baddies and is somewhat aware of how unfairly mean he's being, yet he chooses to be that way regardless. He also never really repents of his sins when he's older. I think that sucks because Stephen King could have chosen to use Henry as an example of how somehow can be redeemed and choose to turn his life around (and fight for innocent lives) but he just kept him the same and it just felt like irresponsible handling of character.

+ Comments:

IT 1990 will always be the superior IT to me (yes, I am making the obvious comparison with the recent versions). Both aspects of the lives of the protagonists are written and acted strongly. Tim Curry had so much charisma in the role and it doesn't rely on CGI tricks to frighten the audience.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote