View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 03:15 PM
- eternal sunshine -
Graphics Team

This episode raises a lot of questions, like the first season was doing, but this time it is clear they are forging their own path from the original. When you look at how the first season ended, you may think that the magical community is coming to the Charmed Ones which was something the original also did. Mel sitting and hearing the concerns feels like something I am sure that we had with the original series. One moment I remember is Paige having them come to her when the Wicked Witch was cursing magical beings and they needed the spells reversed so they could return to their natural forms. But I feel like there was another time where one of the sisters really did sit and listen to problems.

Then there was the more obvious Rat Demon Easter Egg. They also reminded me of the demons which shot goo out of their mouths and were targeting Chris at some point (the episode with Phoebe's high school reunion). These Rat Demons appeared to be an amalgamation of the two demons. The Rat Demons from the original were more snitches, and I cannot remember them having much power? Just there being a lot of them.

I found this episode more interesting than the first season, and while I was working on graphics in photoshop while I was watching I found myself paying more attention to it.

For those who are yet to watch I would not recommend reading the rest of my post.

The episode started off predictably with there being some excitement over it being over and the possibility of returning to normal lives. Macy was taking a huge risk however even thinking about moving away from her sisters, let alone actually accepting a new job offer. Also slightly predictable, just as things seem quiet and normal, all hell breaks loose.

This is where everything completely turns on its head having everything from the original destroyed. Unlike the original, it appears this Book of Shadows cannot protect itself. And then straight up they are pushing Hacy together with her hesitation and him trying to save her. Fails of course, but then as Macy seemed to know would happen he was killed. My wife also reacted presuming it was a deadly choice unless he simply teleported away once the sisters were through.

The new world they have fallen into fits well with the 'Safe Space' episode title but also looks quite strange. It will be interesting to see how this place develops in future episodes. I am not overly impressed by the first aid guy. Just give them the first aid and leave them alone. The woman in the magic store seemed more interesting and I presume could become an ally for the sisters over time.

When they first enter the safe house of the Elders they are told to await further instructions from their whitelighter. However Harry seems to not know what the place is? Was this more failure of the Elders for not filling him in properly of what it was? A plot hole I am not meant to have noticed? It is an interesting place and I like the direction they are taking. But the removal of their powers? That seems a bit much and would make it harder for them. Macy's demon powers have changed or grown between the two seasons too and clearly aren't as easy to remove as the witch ones were. There must be a way for them to gain their powers back as otherwise it is a huge risk for them to be trying to save other witches while being powerless and only relying on spells. My other hope is that this 'no one can know we are alive' rubbish lasts as long as it did in season 8 of the original. Especially as there was good characters in season 1 who are now being thrown away. With the introduction of another child of Alastor however maybe there is some hope that Parker at least can return. They do make it seem like it is all a fresh slate and they are throwing away the first season and all that went with it though.

This new Assassin reminds me of the original - playing on fears that you could be evil and the reason your charges turn dark. It could be interesting if as each of the Whitelighters died they faced themselves and felt that they had failed their charges in this way. Either that or Harry has an evil twin. However I also want to question are we to believe that he simply cannot die? Or is this Harry really not the Harry they had before? Could death have changed him or is he someone else? His powers no longer work as they did before which makes me highly suspicious of who he is and his motives.