View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 02:26 AM
Crystal Clear
Fan Forum Hero

The Girl Next Door (2007) might be one of the most frightening films I've ever seen, because it masquerades as kind of a Stand By Me plot in a low-key suburban setting, then at the same time you have this scary home where this girl and her sister are being ill-treated and sworn to silence whenever they try to inform the police or a neighbor of the abuse they are facing.

Tthe film starts quietly by building up a friendship dynamic between Meg and David but around the halfway mark, Meg is subjected to the most brutal torture imaginable at the hands of the woman who is supposed to be taking care of her. Worst of all, there is an audience of teenagers and children there to watch the abuse unfold.

Think of it as CHILDREN OF THE CORN meets STAND BY ME meets MISERY.

If anyone is squeamish when it comes to rape or torture scenes, then you will have a difficult time watching this. It is mostly implied (the screen cuts away for most of it) but even that is bad enough. I do think it is an important movie to watch, and the acting of the younger cast as well as the woman who plays Ruth is very convincing.

/5 stars
Skam Italia icon
Gwen