View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM
dragonfire
Elite Fan

Quote:
Bob Iger Says Fox Movies Were Failing Before the Disney Purchase
Quote:
The inside baseball of that acquisition has been a topic of conversation for quite some time, and it looks like Disney CEO Bob Iger is being candid about it. In a new interview with The New York Times, Iger spoke about the status of the assets before the deal was officially done, and argued that Fox's movies weren't succeeding.

“It wasn’t a slap-down,” Iger revealed. “It was an admission that the movies that they had made failed. And I actually gave then a tremendous amount of cover by saying that when companies are bought, processes and decision making can come to a halt."

“There were problems at that studio well before the deal was announced." Iger continued. "But the reason I did not believe that it was something we should be concerned about is because it’s a short-term problem. And with the talent that we have at our studio, that are now supervising with some of their executives all the movies that they decide to make and how they are made, I’m convinced that the turnaround can happen. It’s not a snap your fingers, but it’s not 10 years of lost value. It’s a year and a half.”
https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/09...ger-interview/
Quote:
Disney's First Star Wars Plans Were "Too Much, Too Fast" According to Chairman Bob Iger
Quote:
There have been plenty of criticisms about the Star Wars franchise ever since Disney purchased Lucasfilm nearly five years ago. Even though the franchise has made billions of dollars at the box office, dominated home video sales, produced fan-favorite animated series, and is set to expand into live-action shows with the creation of Disney+, the disappointing box office of Solo: A Star Wars Story along with the divisive response to Star Wars: The Last Jedi has caused some vitriol from fans. And with the lackluster response to the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge expansion at Disneyland this year, it seems like Disney chairman Bob Iger agrees.

During an interview with the New York Times released this weekend, Iger admitted that they might have overextended with the Star Wars franchise, possibly getting too ambitious after the Lucasfilm purchase was finalized.

"I just think that we might’ve put a little bit too much in the marketplace too fast," explained Iger. "I think the storytelling capabilities of the company are endless because of the talent we have at the company, and the talent we have at the company is better than it’s ever been, in part because of the influx of people from Fox."

Lucasfilm's initial plan for the franchise included finishing the Skywalker Saga with new installments of a trilogy released every other year, while the anthology films under the banner of "A Star Wars Story" would premiere in between. But after Rogue One and Solo, Disney backed off of that frequency and instead shifted their focus to new live-action shows coming to the Disney+ streaming service.
https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/...much-too-fast/