View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 07:43 AM
destroyer of worlds
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss the wind (View Post)

When a student says something like, "That's gay" or "that's [r word]," I try to say something like "There are more appropriate and accurate ways to express what you want to say/What are you really trying to say?" so they realize that those words aren't substitutes for things like stupid, frustrating, annoying, unfair, etc. And with the racism, I just have to say that it's not acceptable to say, especially in the classroom, but also in general. A lot of them roll their eyes, but some are honest and own up to the fact that they need to do better.
I honestly flinch when I hear people using either terms as slurs. Being gay and/or having physical/mental disabilities is hard enough, without people using the term jokingly and as a slur. I get that a lot of kids say it because it makes them sound cool or whatever, but I do wish that they'd think harder before saying such words.

As for racism, I encounter it from time to time in my own country as well as when I venture overseas, so it's really something that hits close to me. I just wish that more people called such instances out when it happens in front of them, unfortunately it doesn't happen as often as it should.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit