View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 04:10 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by miranstarr (View Post)
While I'm sad Spidey won't be part of the MCU anymore, I can also see why a lot of Spider-Man fans are happy to see him away from the MCU. Comics Spidey has always been his own man and sometimes it felt like the MCU was turning him into Iron Man Jr. The reason why he has always been one of the biggest superheroes worldwide is that he spoke to the common people. He was just like them in every aspect except for being a hero. He never needed Tony Stark to make him popular/better and he still won't in the future. Disney too has become a huge conglomerate. They back small indie companies into a corner and then buy them up. Yes, Sony will probably continue to mess up the Spidey movies, but that's their right since they own him. Spidey was only ever on loan to Disney anyway.
Thank you! Yes, MCU Spider-Man was under way too much influence by Tony Stark. Also, again... Peter being a teenager in the MCU limits his character and what you can do with him, and those juvenile storylines were embarrassing. Peter's been an adult superhero in the comics since the 1970s. And who needs Michelle? She's not in the comics so why is she even there? Felicia Hardy/Black Cat has been a love interest of Peter's since the 1980s, yet she still hasn't gotten her due in a Spider-Man movie.

You're also right in that Peter did speak for the common man. Even though he was also a super-genius, he was unpretentious and very human. He wasn't interested in the corporate stuff like Tony.

I also agree that Disney has become way too big, buying other properties from everyone else, like Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel, and Fox. Disney now owns the rights to a lot of work done by other people that Disney had nothing to do with. I'd have preferred that Fox bought out Marvel's titles back in the 1990s when Marvel was going through bankruptcy and Fox could've gotten everything cheap. I know that Sony made a claim for Spider-Man because of that 1970s TV show that Columbia Television produced, but I still think that Fox could've gotten Spider-Man. After all, Cannon Films/Golan-Globus owned all of Marvel's film rights in the 80s before they went bankrupt and closed down. If Fox had been smart back in the 1990s, we'd have a Fox/Marvel MCU, just like WB has DC.