View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 AM
clarkson_fan
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
Exactly!!! I'm glad you brought up what Pacey said to Dawson in that episode too. He had D/J PEGGED. He was right though and it showed in S2 and the other few times they tried, they gave up and in so EASILY. They didn't FIGHT to stay together like Pacey and Joey. They didn't go through those hard times that made them stronger as a couple at the end of the day. You FIGHT for those you love and that is what P/J did. I also agree that they dealt with ADULT situations. Not stupid immature bs like "You read my diary, you said you were in love twice, I said I slept with Jen cause you might of slept with Jack," etc. Gag me, grow up. I agree that Joey never grew with Dawson, she would of stayed stuck in the same place with the same result. She grew with Pacey. They pretty much set up their resume to reunite long term and as the love of each others lives in S4. There is no way in hell Dawson and Joey would of lasted long as an adult couple, they would of broke up in weeks just like the other failed, aborted attempts.

The other posts are great too. The writers were definitely more invested in P/J's relationship. They had a "Till death do us part" esque aura to their relationship, showing how truly in love they were. Yeah, the original ending was D/J being together but KW said when he thought on it more and slept on it, it just didn't feel right and it wouldn't have. Dawson and especially Joey were different people and it would of been like trying to fit two puzzle pieces that don't fit and never will. Pacey and Joey easily reconnected in the final episode and they picked up right where they left off. The ease of it all really showed they were meant to be together. The only ones that hate the ending are some D/J fans that are still bitter over it 16 years later. Most loved that Joey ended up with Pacey.
He totally did and I dunno why the writers didn't look at what they wrote and go "that's so write, let's drop D/J" lol. Probably because they were supposed to be the big soulmate couple and all that....but whenever they brought DJ together they broke them apart just as quickly as if they just never wanted to write them in a relationship again. And definitely by season 5 and 6 it would have been too weird. Like just their one night stand and glimpse of more was weird. They just didn't fit, ever. It never felt natural.

I mean in season 2 they broke up over Joey wanting to find herself, which is funny because she spent all of season 1 wanting him and then when she had him she didn't actually really want him. But then when they were with others they got so jealous and annoying? And not in a fun way like with PJ in the few instances they were jealous, but like...totally immature, whiny, gross, like in Sex, She Wrote, like you mentioned.

And then Joey breaks up with Dawson again over her father, which...Dawson was annoyed and pushed the issue, sure, but it felt like Joey took the first opportunity to break up with him more than the punishment fitting the crime type of thing.

Pacey and Joey fought a lot but they worked through it and apologized and grew as a couple every time. They could have EASILY broke up over Pacey's school situation and how he treated her in 4x02, but they handled it maturely (once Pacey got his head out of his ass) and talked about it and worked through it together. Things like that.

And with DJ, it felt like basically every event, every conversation, every argument, was some existential crisis that needed to be talked to death without actually talking about the heart of the issue, and it was more about poetic prose and the meaning of life than about them and their relationship. And honestly, I think DJ's fights were way worse than PJ's ever were. Not that PJ didn't have their fights and immature moments, but with DJ it was like...blow ups and ultimatums and wayyy melodramatic and so on.

And oh man, if Joey had chosen Dawson...it's like, well first of all, she lived in New York, he in LA, Dawson is selfish so he probably wouldn't have moved out there for her, especially while his show was just getting started, and then she might have moved for him, but then he would have worked all the time, Joey would have been miserable, and she would have either used the first excuse to break up with him again or they would have gotten into a blow out once again. I mean, they had it in 6x02 and that was basically the end of them, so it would have just been the same thing all over again if Joey had ended up with Dawson.

At least with Pacey, Joey grew as a person, and Pacey grew too. They were both in such good places, so mature and they only nourish that growth with each other.

And I will always refuse KW's headcanon that they get divorced just for the ~drama of it all. They've already done the break up thing, two times, they wouldn't need to do it again.

Because like I've always imagined they took a few years to just be together, work out their issues, get even closer and stronger as a couple, and work out things between New York and Capeside - like if Pacey opened a restaurant in New York, maybe - before they even got married or had kids. Like I'm thinking 3-5 years down the the line from the series finale, you know? I see them as solid as can be when they got married and worked out all the kinks by then.

Because they both learn from their mistakes and grew up, I don't see them falling into the same traps they did the firs time they were together, unlike DJ, especially with Dawson firmly in the friend role and there no longer being a love triangle, you know?