View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 02:15 PM
Ashes Fall
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
But I thought the curse was more about sharing sex with someone he loved than just self himself? I don't think self-pleasuring would ever be a soul losing event. That's how he slept with Darla & Nina. No perfect happiness.

Plus Angel lost his soul after sex, when he was holding Buffy in his arms as they slept. So IDEK if it was the sex itself, more so just how close he felt to her and the peace he'd found with her.
He didn't even self-pleasure in 'Awakening', the curse was broke then based on an illusion of shared sex with someone he loved so if he had a powerful enough fantasy while self-pleasuring...that was my point.
Considering the illusion was induced, however, perhaps there is a significant difference.

Personally, because Buffy proved that it was about the person not achieving orgasm contrary to Cordy's own (possibly denial induced) misconception, it stands to reason sex needn't be involved.

I love fanfics, that explore this.
One of the published novels actually does it as well and I found it brilliant.

Quote:
I tend to favor the theory that once he knows about the curse, he can never achieve perfect happiness again, really, b/c in the back of his mind he always knows Angelus is a risk therefore dampening the happiness.
Exactly the reason I believe Angel could never bring himself to pursue a romantic relationship with Cordy and that Connor didn't break the curse because Angel knew to keep his happiness in check.

Quote:
The curse is stupid anyway. Why would Jenny's people create a loop hole that'd allow Angelus to get free and kill again? Plus, they were only ever punishing Angel/Liam, not Angelus.
True, the curse is a Catch 22 because Angel's soul is what gave him the capacity to love and achieve that kind of happiness.
On the other hand, that also makes the curse a double edge sword. Having that capacity only to be forced to deny himself the reward is a torture in itself.

Quote:
I don't think people can convert to asexual? I'm not an expert, but I think asexuals, generally, don't experience sexual attraction to anyone, and we know Cordy does ("Salty goodness" her staring at Xander in the speedo, etc). I think an aversion to sex due to trauma/a bad experience is entirely different.
Well when you put it that way, now I feel like an idiot.

Quote:
I'd like to see that post, though, the idea of an asexual Cordy is interesting.
https://sympathyfrthedevil.tumblr.co...lia-meta-and-i

Quote:
That hurts so much. And it's so true. We as the viewers never even found out 100% everything Jasmine and her followers did to her. And what we saw/do know was already horrific.
I'd never considered that.
Although she establishes that she was aware of the entire possession, we have no idea just what effect it had on her but just knowing that she was a prisoner in her own body, able to see and feel what it was doing to her family but not be able to control it, to stop it leaves little to the imagination.

Quote:
I don't think you're reading into it, because like you said, Fred was causing them to re-live what happened to Cordy all over again. Both Cordy & Fred were precious and were taken from their AI fam, so I think he was essentially saying it about both.
I can dig that.

Quote:
I've almost repressed that scene because it just hurts too much to think of. I could've gone my whole life without ever having to see that.
Same. It also helps that I've only watched it the one time.

Quote:
I think what's important is that he doesn't correct Faith or deny it when she says 'If it coulda been done, you'da done it then'
IA.

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. He has experience knowing what it's like to be brought back from the dead, when Darla was brought back, and all the ways it can go wrong etc. I don't doubt he wanted to do it, but knew it was too dangerous/was not the best thing for her.
Exactly, and if Buffy shared the details of her resurrection, most notably her severe disorientation and depression in their off-screen reunion, that would have been a turn off for him as well. No way in hell he'd put his Cordy through that.

Quote:

An "open wound" . That's exactly what it was and he was bleeding all S5.
I've got rest of that bit:

This isn't canon but still
Part of me is glad that it isn't because I prefer ATS where he tells her to her face that he loves her, in the present tense and because in this comic series he's apparently looking to appeal to the Kalderashs to release him from the curse so he can be with Nina.

they win"
- Stephen King