View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Arrakis
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Nathalie is actually very light-skinned. Dark-skinned is like Shuri from Blank Panther. She can't sing and dislikes the idea of a pale-skinned Black person playing a dark character. I completely agree, because in India, they do the same damn thing. They only like to hire fair-skinned actresses, even if the character or person was/is originally dark-skinned. Dark skin isn't as appealing in their mind. It's crappy,but even with POC's, there's a certain amount of racism.
Well yes that's true and i agree she's right, but what's with a more light skinned character (nathalie's level) played by a darker skinned actress (lupita for example). Is that also colorism then, is that ok or should that also be criticized? Bc if you're consequen you'd also have to stay true to the skin colour in this case. Just wodnering how other's see that.

Quote:
I wished all this stupid racism would stop but humans are not capable of that it seems.
I think some people are also confused including myself. Like for example the DC birds of prey movie (an all female superhero squad) cast a black actress to play black canary (a white and blonde character). I mean I personally was disappointed with this and wanted the character to stay white, but at the same time I wanted to have a black character/actress in the movie and thought instead of having harley quinn (avillain and not part of the team in the comics) in the movie team they should've brought in Vixen a famous female african superheroe. I don't know if this makes me racist, but while I don't like white washing I also don't like black washing of characters, I prefer developping more black characters or adding existing ones that don't get enough love and recognition as in the birds of prey movie, by making a white character black they just change the skin colour but not the heritage, but by adding an originally black character that is not getting recognition (due to racism) they put much needed focus on such character's back story and culture.

Last edited by Arrakis; 06-12-2019 at 09:18 AM