View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 06:00 AM
MAKRO
Part-Time Fan

I found this episode undistinguished to say the least. In fact considering how few episodes there are left in either the season (optimistic) or the history of the show (pessimistic) it was an out and out disappointment.
It was immediately established in the (brilliant) Pilot that Everwood was a show revolving around a core of key relationships; those of Ephram/Andy, Ephram/Amy, Amy/Harold, and Harold/Andy. Ably supported by Irv, Edna, Rose, Nina, Bright, and Delia, these are the characters we fell in love with and the relationships that tweaked our heartstrings on a weekly basis. One would think that with the future of the show in doubt the powers-that-be would be betting the farm on the elements which drew us to the show in the first place. Apparently not. Instead we got Nina/Jake, Hannah/Bright, and Reid. And not a minute of the four core relationships. What a waste.
Among the very few highlights:
DELIA: I've loved her since Day 1. I never bought her as "popular", so I was as glad as anyone to see her show her true colors last night (although I do feel that last week's silent couch scene with Andy was just as strong an illustration of who she really is). Unlike some others though, I thought the hat thing struck an odd note. The hats were part of Delia the little girl. Her whole arc this season has been about her becoming a young woman. The hat certainly didn't dovetail well with her touching up her lip gloss and biking off hoping to meet a cute boy. Oh well, she's still irresistable.
ANDY: After being almost impossible to like last year, the guy has come full circle. He's in a pretty good place as a father and a very good place as a friend. I declare him offically redeemed in my eyes.
REID: The main "highlight" here is that he's gone, to be remembered only for his body, an ocean of self-pity, and being one of the few (only?) characters on Everwood to be shown smoking.
The rest:
AMY: I was greatly annoyed with her for most of the episode. She bullied Hannah into going with her to greet Reid upon his return on the basis that it was her duty as Reid's friend. When was Hannah ever Reid's friend? Has there been any friend-type interaction between them? She then ill-advisedly accepted a pity date with Reid and bullied Hannah into coming along, magically producing out of nowhere a ready-made date for her (can you say "contrived"?). I must say she redeemed herself in the end, though. Her conversation outside of the bowling alley with Reid was Amy at her most sensitive and caring. Nice to see her put aside the self-absorbtion for awhile.
JAKE: It's time for you to go, son. You tell Edna you're far too noble to ask Nina to choose between you and Everwood, then proceed to do just that. You also pressure her, out of sheer jealousy, to pull back from a friendship which means the world to her. I have news for you; she's not going with you. So long.
BRIGHT: I love the guy, but Chris cannot pull off the angst-ridden personna (perhaps some lessons from Greg would be in order).
HANNAH: This girl has obviously been taking lessons in self-absorbtion from Amy. Her rant was not only embarrassing, it was cruel. It actually made me have a moment of sympathy for Reid (did I just say that?). Knowing the propensity of Rina (et al) to try to qualify Hannah for sainthood, I can only guess last night's moment of imperfection will be used to set her up for some angelic act regarding Bright's accident.
NINA: Make up your mind! You're being unfair to both Jake and Andy. Worse, it's making you look silly.
HAROLD/ROSE: This has to be one of the most impressive marital relationships on television; and one of the most realistic. They have their ups and downs; they're not very much alike; sometimes they drive each other crazy. But their mutual love has never been in doubt. These two fine actors are a pleasure to watch. And does anyone doubt that they will (if the show continues) end up with the baby born last night?
With a couple of days to go before the official word comes out, the rumors of the show's imminent demise are strong. If that turns out to be the case, I, as a long-time fan, can only hope the remaining screen time is devoted almost exclusively to the characters who have proven since the beginning to be the most compelling. Please don't continue to waste precious time on those I don't care about. If you must go out, go out on a high note. Your loyal fans deserve it.