View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 PM
Jerry D
Administrator

I think one important thing in Ephram and Amy’s relationship is that no matter what they went through together or individually, they always remained friends, and they always were in each other’s lives. To be sure, there were times when they were estranged, and times when they hurt each other, and there were times when they were romantically involved with other people, but they never lost touch with one another, and you always knew that deep down, they still loved and cared about one another.

I often compare Ephram and Amy to Dawson and Joey, and to me, the major difference between the two couples is that Dawson and Joey’s friendship effectively ended at the end of Season Two, and all their “soulmate” declarations rang increasingly hollow as the seasons wore on, but throughout all the seasons of Everwood, there was never any doubt that Ephram and Amy were soulmates, and there was also never any doubt that they loved each other and would make their way back to each other. It probably also helped that Ephram’s best friend was Bright, Amy’s brother, so he couldn’t win her heart away from Ephram like Pacey won Joey’s heart away from Dawson! For me personally, the writers of Dawson’s Creek destroyed everything I loved about Dawson and Joey over the years to the point where I didn’t care about them any more, but the writers of Everwood never did that with Ephram and Amy, and so I loved them and rooted for them right up until the very end.

I attribute all that not only to the superior writing on Everwood, but also to the great acting ability of Emily and Greg, who always had chemistry together, unlike James and Katie, who had great chemistry together in the early seasons of Dawson’s Creek, but who had absolutely no chemistry together in the later seasons of the show. I’ve never seen so much chemistry between two actors as I saw between Greg and Emily, and that chemistry kept me hooked throughout the run of the show. I really miss this couple, but at least we all still get to discuss them and share our love for them here.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy