View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 PM
BrooklynFan
Dedicated Fan

On Clarke/leadership: I somewhat agree with the criticism that the writers are really forcing things to create situations that put Clarke in the hot seat. Obviously all shows do this to some extent with their protagonists (people conveniently get murdered every week in the vicinity of a main character on a detective show, etc) but if the show's well written it shouldn't feel unbelievable or like they're straining to make things happen.

On the other hand, Clarke's leadership isn't purely situational. It's not just a result of what she's done recently, it's a result of who she is. And there the show has I think done a great job of consistently presenting her as a character with innate leadership qualities: She steps up in hard moments when others are silent. She thinks ahead when others are just caught up in the moment. And, except for last season, she works for the good of the whole group, not her own selfish interests. Her leadership qualities have been recognized by other leaders: Lexa, Roan, now Russell. This, in my view has been well and consistently established throughout the whole series. I'm really excited to see how things develop this season now that Clarke is determined to be not just the protagonist but a "good guy."

Also re good guys and bad guys, I agree that the Children of Gabriel are going to end up being the better group on Sanctum. I hope Russell and crew don't turn out to be as fully evil as the Mountain Men, and also that this season doesn't end with our gang (ahem, Clarke) destroying their entire civilization.