View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 08:53 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Sorry, but this is the rant thread, so I will rant here.

First, there was no legal reason they couldn't use Hank and Janet. Joss Whedon himself admitted that he was asked to remove Hank and Janet from his Avengers script because of Edgar Wright, and EdgarWright only ended up quitting and Marvel Studios admitted that his script didn't fit in the MCU, so it should never have been used in the first place, end of story.

Second, your argument about time limit is valid, I agree, but not the rest of it. This summer we're going to see Dark Phoenix, Fox's second attempt at getting this story right after the failure of The Last Stand. This is practically an admission on their part that they screwed up the first time and now they're trying to get it right. So while it's true that you can't fit everything into one movie, it is not true that there is only one way to do it, or that Hollywood always gets it right the first time. If changes are made due to time restraints, that's one thing, but more often than not it's due to studio politics, legal issues(such as with Spider-Man), and self indulgent artistic license from filmmakers who don't understand the material. Or in the case of Hank and Janet, a gentlemen's agreement to accommodate one man who didn't even want his movie in the MCU.

In the case of Mar-Vell it was a last minute decision on the part of the director, whom I'm sure had never read a comic book in her life. Marvel had planned to cast a man as Mar-Vell from the start, before this nonsensical decision was made that was not only unnecessary, but ended up being a useless throwaway plot line.

And Adam Warlock? It's simple. Who is more important to the Guardians of the Galaxy storyline? Who created the team? Who is Gamora's love interest? Who defeated Thanos? Star Lord? No, Adam Warlock. Peter Quill isn't even alive in the comics anymore. He was killed off years ago.

So you see, the MCU up to this point has been a mess. Don't even get me started on Peter Parker always being a teenager in these movies. He hasn't been a teenager in the comics since the 70s, and the best Spider-Man stories are from the 1980s when he was a 20-something adult.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 04-26-2019 at 09:26 PM
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote