View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Ashes Fall
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
Having Angel whisper "Buffy?" is something that I maintain was a mistake and unnecessary, even though I understand it was less about her in the moment and more about him re-experiencing losing his soul.
Someone on Youtube told me that the writers themselves have clarified that the "Buffy?" whisper was indeed just a case of deja vu pertaining to his first soul-loss experience, not of Angel thinking of her while having sex with Cordy but I concur that it was unnecessary not to mention made no sense.

It comes across as a Bangel reinforcement. It feels as though Joss wanted to retcon Greenwalt's sentiment in 'Heartthrob' of Angel's having moved on from Buffy now that he was gone despite that Joss insisted that the 'Chosen' crossover was not to get them back together and has recently come out as a Spuffy shipper.

That was another thing that ruined that episode for me.
Prior to being told about the deja vu explanation, I hadn't actually known that Angel had whispered Buffy's name, I'd thought it was just a gasp.

Ignorance truly is bliss.

Quote:
Very true. The double standard has always been rampant when it comes to the subject of moving on. So many people expect Angel to --wait for Buffy forever-- whereas like you said, these same people are happy for Buffy to mature beyond her teenage years and that ultimately means leaving Angel behind and having sexual relationships with other guys.
Other girls as well. I'm told that in the comics she has a sexual relationship with another slayer.

Interestingly, I've heard that the Angel & Faith comics inspired a bit of a Fangel fandom but according to what I'm told it doesn't happen. Their relationship/feelings remain entirely platonic and there is even a Cangel mention on pretty much the first page of the first issue.

FAITH: Angel, when Cordelia died, you had everyone at Jacoby, Meyers and Satan working for you. In a world that still had magic. If it coulda been done, you'da done it then.

ANGEL: It's not that cut and dried. There have always been resurrection spells. Wolfram and Hart had dozens. They just aren't used much, because they're hard...dangerous...and they only work on the body. The soul's a whole different thing. You end up with a zombie...or worse.

Now, Angel/Faith is actually the one ship aside from Cangel that I actually feel I could get behind but NO, they had to go with the most horrific ship possible; Angel/Illyria!

Quote:

I never understood people's complaints about Cangel becoming romantic, given how emotionally close Angel and Cordelia became, and the simple fact that they trusted each other more than anyone in their lives at that point.
That and they gave each other the confidence no one else ever gave either of them.
They made each other stronger because they believed in each other. .

Quote:
I remember reading that David's performance as Angel in 'I Only Have Eyes For You' when Angel is possessed by the spirit of the 1950's teacher who an illicit romance with her student, convinced Joss that it was worth giving Angel his own show.

Personally, I never got why people loved David in those scenes so much but I adore that episode, so I love knowing that one of the best BUFFY episodes lay the groundwork for ANGEL becoming a thing.
I can't comment on that performance because I haven't rewatched that episode but I'm reminded of a IOHEFY vs. WITW shipwar debate I came across at the Buffy-boards.
It was idiotic.
At least one Bangel fan argued that WITW didn't have the parallel and meaning that IOHEFY did basically because Cangel wasn't a carbon copy of Bangel.

The WITW possession represented Angel and Cordy's unrecognized feelings, insecurities and the free-spirited, inconsequential confidence that Angel lacked.

Personally, 'Passion' is my favorite Angel/Angelus episode in BtVS. Those Angelus monologues were a masterpiece and I thought the flowers and drawings and dead fish were just so brilliantly chilling.

they win"
- Stephen King

Last edited by Ashes Fall; 03-13-2019 at 03:55 PM