View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 02:24 PM
eternalfate
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp (View Post)
I don't have an issue with his treatment. It's on par with how the story should be given his past. The only issue I've seen for some fans is the double standard because half the people constantly over him are murderers or said they were mentally ill and gotten away with murder. As for Ben, he can't leave Salem. The police told him not to since he's a suspect in an investigation.

I enjoyed JnJ's story but I don't think Jack's storyline is everything some make it out to be. He continuously treats Jennifer poorly throughout their courtship. I got tired of her begging to be with a rapist during some parts. Why does she have to be reduced to throwing herself at him? Yes, his self loathing but what about her self respect? Then their marriage. He abandons her countless times. He's so indifferent to her pregnancy. For me, the wonderous redemption, at times feels like a redemption to Jack's continually mediocrity.

90's were the glory days but so many problematic tropes for JnJ. I mean the power dynamic in their relationship alone is a problem - he's her boss. He fires her because of their relationship. He gives her a bad reference after firing her. It was all over the place but there was quality in there.

If we are talking about Abby, she should NEVER forgive Ben since he's the reason why she lost it to begin with since he tried to set her on fire and he drove her crazy. Just because Abby cheated on Ben, that doesn't give him the right to lose it like that.
And kill 4 people in the process.

No one was defending Ben until the Ciara pairing. That's the issue.

A lot of the same person who are hating how Abby treats Ben were the same ones praising her a few years ago when she did the same exact thing!

Actually Ben could've left Salem BEFORE all of this! He was even going to leave but remember Ciara stopped him and move him in with her. So there were always opportunities for him to leave.

You can't be expected to be treated as a Golden Child in the same place where you were a serial killer especially in so little time.

The reason why (on a lot of occasions) she faught for him was because she LOVED HIM! and he didn't think he was worthy of her love... even one time he was finally ready to be with her and he accidentally killed someone which yet again made him think he wasn't worthy of her love.

No it wasn't always perfect obviously but I think what fans loved was that it wasn't rushed and it took them a long time to get together and Jack never forgot about his past and like nowadays characters, blame a mental illness whenever confronted.

Even when Eve confronted Ben, the words he used was he sorry but he was mentally ill than... NO ONE wants to hear that.

It's like this Gabi vs Abby storyline!
Although Abby was mentally ill when she was Gabby, she apologized for the mistakes she made even if she really wasn't in control.

Imagine if after Jack raped Kayla, his daily response was, "I'm so sorry for what I did! I was mentally ill than so I couldn't control it."

That's what I mention as my issue with the storylines nowdays.

And I can at least say when it came to Abby, AT LEAST she owned up to what she did even if she had no control. She told Gabi many times she was sorry... and didn't even get Gabi locked up because she blamed herself for how Gabi turned out... they won't be friends again but she was the bigger woman and put the blame on herself even for something she didn't remember nor had control over.

I don't think anyone ever said that JnJ was perfect.
And as for JnJ vs Cin, I think we are all different so we all don't need to feel the same way.
CIN can be popular but that doesn't mean everyone should love them the most or love the storyline direction.

For me, I like CIN but I also don't care for "Ben is changed" act until I see more of it outside of only him being nice in front of Ciara.... I guess I just need more.

I loved his scenes with Marlena which was why I was upset the writers seemed to have ruined that relationship as well.