View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 08:27 PM
wanderer78
Fan Forum Hero

Maisie's new movie is out:

I posted it in the last thread too.

A review:

Quote:
"Then Came You" is an equally familiar story, told in a sweet, reasonably charming way. Much of that has to do with Williams, who plays Skye, a girl with a terminal illness who's scratching things off her bucket list when she meets Calvin ("Sex Education's" Asa Butterfield), a hypochondriac who keeps a "symptoms journal" and attends support groups even though he's not sick.

The basic template -- Skye, on the verge of dying, teaches Calvin how to live -- is hardly a new one, from "The Fault is In Our Stars" to early examples like the cult classic "Harold and Maude" (admittedly, with a sizable twist) and the tearjerker "Love Story."

Still, Williams manages to make the most of the clichés, from trailing off when she says, "Cross my heart and hope to..." to prodding Calvin to "Ask whatshername on a date," referring to a woman at work ("The Vampire Diaries'" Nina Dobrev) he's been too shy to directly approach.
Directed by Peter Hutchings, "Then Came You" (even the title's generic) merely reinforces what longtime "Thrones" watchers recognized from the get-go: That Williams was a singular talent as a youth who has grown up on screen. Now, with a role in the X-Men spinoff "New Mutants" due this summer, she appears ready to take her place among other actors who have successfully made that transition.

From that perspective, "Then Came You" might wind up being most interesting as a footnote, as Williams graduates into the next phase of the acting game.
Source