View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 03:26 AM
Lauren Helen Graham
Fan Forum Star

The Criminal & The Bodyguard [Red&Dembe|James&Hisham] #9: "Dembe is more than an associate to me."

the criminal & the bodyguard
Red & Dembe | James & Hisham
n i n t h • a p p r e c i a t i o n • t h r e a d

x

When Raymond Reddington surrendered himself to the FBI to work with them, he only wanted him as his bodyguard. Dembe Zuma, a former freedom fighter from South Sudan. Red found Dembe when he was fourteen years old after he lost his entire family. Red took care of Dembe and they became like father and son. They would do anything for eachother. Everywhere Red goes Dembe is one step behind him. To protect and help the man that saved his life.

the first time we met them

Gif by Aga

quotes
— s e a s o n o n e —

"Raymond! Ours is a friendship forged once in this life and again in the next. Goodbye, my brother."
Episode 1x09

X

quotes
— s e a s o n t w o —

Dembe: "Raymond don’t. That was then. It serves no purpose to kill him now."
Red: "You see that, Geoff? That is what a good man does. That is what separates men like him from men like you and me."
Episode 2x06

Dembe: "You need to tell her, Raymond."
Red: "Tell her what?"
Dembe: "About Tom. You should have told her some time ago."
Red: "I don't know how to do that, Dembe."
Dembe: "Yes, you do. You tell her the truth by telling her everything."
Red: "I don't think I can do that."
Dembe: "Maybe you should stop thinking about it and do it."
Episode 2x15

Dembe: "The doctor says you did well."
Red: "Elizabeth?"
Dembe: "She's fine."
Red: "You need to go to my flat."
Dembe: "I'm taking care of it."
Red: "You were right, Dembe. I should've told her."
Dembe: "I understand why you didn't."
Red: "No, you don't. The blessing of an honest man."
Episode 2x19

Red: "That's enough for today."
Dembe: "Just one more lap, Raymond. This is an important part of your therapy."
Red: "You should have let me die, Dembe. Nobody told me about this aimless walking."
Episode 2x20

x

quotes
— s e a s o n t h r e e —

Red: "Dembe is more than an associate to me. Please find him."
Episode 3x04

Red: "Dembe. Dembe. We're going to get you well."
Episode 3x05

Red: "Does anything appear out of the ordinary?"
Dembe: "No. But I don't like this Raymond."
Red: "We're less than an hour behind you and Ian will be there any minute to open the store. The care package will be there soon after."
Dembe: "I should be with you."
Red: "You will be in less than hour. Oh and don't forget that other matter that we discussed."
Episode 3x08

*Dembe and Red listening to Brenda and Gerald singing in the woods*
Dembe: "That's enough."
Red: "Ok, then."
Episode 3x12

Red: "Were here for the Fugu kimo."
Dembe: "Fugu kimo?"
Red: "Blowfish liver. Contains a poison 1200 times deadlier than cyanide. So lethal a single fish can kill 30 grown men."
Dembe: "People eat this?"
Red: "Not legally, no, but as with most dangerous endeavors, there are those who feel compelled. Tetrodotoxin first creates a tingling in the lips, then the hands.
If you’re lucky and your chef is meticulous, you can survive with a story and an adrenaline rush. But if you’re not, the poison can kill you in minutes."
Episode 3x15

Dembe: "She deserves the truth."
Red: "Watch the road, Dembe."
Episode 3x16

Red: "This is above and beyond my friend. Above and beyond."
Dembe: "Is that it?"
Red: "If anything happened to me this was to go to Elizabeth. So she'd know. Now I'm not sure I ever want her to know."
Dembe: "Perhaps Raymond, in this case what you want is irrelevant. If the universe wants her to know, she will find a way."
Episode 3x16

Red: "I'm sorry, Dembe."
Dembe: "I know, Raymond."
Episode 3x18

x

quotes
— s e a s o n . f o u r —
Dembe: "It won't come."
Red: "What?"
Dembe: "Forgiveness for Kate. For what I did."
Red: "You did nothing."
Dembe. "Exactly."
Episode 4x05

Red: "Fish him out of the tub. And Dembe while you're at it, you should have him take a look at that mole."
Dembe: "It's a freckle."
Episode 4x05

Red: "Found the teacup. Oh! And the banana. That's 11. One more. Don't tell me."
Dembe: "Raymond."
Red: "One second."
Dembe: "The sailboat."
Red: "Oh! Why'd you.. Oh! Show-off."
Episode 4x07

Dembe: "It was Kirk's men at the hospital."
Red: "Did Elizabeth get out? "
Dembe: "She was taken by Kirk."
Red: "Well, she'll be safe with him until Kirk's doctors confirm she's not his daughter, but we don't have much time."
Episode 4x08

Dembe: " We can find her."
Red: "There's no more time."
Dembe: "He'll kill you, no matter what you do or say. You can't go."
Red: "It's Elizabeth."
Dembe: "If we can get the woman.."
Red: "It's too late for her to save Elizabeth."
Dembe: "But perhaps she can save you."
Red: "Forgive me. For Kate. For everything."
Episode 4x08

Dembe: "That's what this was all about, replacing Kate."
Red: "Kate is irreplaceable."
Dembe: "To me, she is."
Episode 4x10

Dembe: "Raymond. I told her because I felt it was important for her to know."
Red: "I understand."
Episode 4x11

Dembe: "Raymond. Are you sure about this? Bringing them all together in one location. It's dangerous."
Red: "One of our most trusted confidantes intends to do irrevocable damage to the organization. Needs to be comforted swiftly."
Dembe: "It's dangerous."
Red: "There's a traitor in the family. I intend to find them."
Episode 4x15

Dembe: "Are you okay Isabella?"
Red: "Yes she is okay."
Dembe: "What are you doing there Raymond?"
Red: "Trying to find you."
Dembe: "Isabella and Elle?"
Red: "They are perfectly safe. What are you doing Dembe? Because everything you seems to be doing is making you look guilty."
Dembe: "We are both guilty Raymond. I came here to see for myself. She is not here."
Red: "Who’s not? What are you saying?"
Episode 4x16

Red: "With you done for the count they last few days I’ve felt the consequences of your absence on my soul."
Dembe: "So you bought me shoes?"
Red: "No, no, no, not now. And not shoes. A parting gift."
Dembe: "I don’t understand Raymond."
Red: "Most of my associates are under the impression that once I granted them a favor they’re indebted to me for life but that is a false assumption.
They are indebted to me because I make them a lot of money. They’re loyal to me because I’ve earned it. It’s good business.
But at the end of the day it's just business. In service of what? Safety, security. Health and wellbeing for the ones we love. Well I really only have one friend. You’re my friend. And I misjudged you in a way that no apology can sufis. I’m ashamed of that. I want you to keep that box and on the day you decide to leave.."
Dembe: "I’m not going to leave."
Red: "But you can. At any point of your own choosing, I’ll insist that you do. No questions asked. With our friendship intact and flourishing. For we’ll have new plans to discover. Not as co-workers but as cohorts. Whether it’s today or tomorrow or ten years from now, that is when you open the box."
Episode 4x18

Red: "What are you doing here?"
Dembe: "Looking for you."
Red: "You should be resting."
Dembe: "I am tired of resting. We should find Kate."
Red: "Okay. Let’s get some supper first."
Episode 4x18

Dembe: "You didn't kill his son."
Red: "No, but Werner won't see it that way, will he?"
Dembe: "Then why are we driving to his home?"
Red: "I have no alternative."
Dembe: "I believe this is a bad idea, Raymond."
Red: "I'll handle Werner. It's Kate who has me on tenterhooks. We put out one fire, she starts another. The woman is an arsonist. She's not gonna stop until she burns me to the ground."
Episode 4x19

Dembe: "As soon as we hit the road, we'll find a way to the jet."
Red: "The jet is sitting on one of Werner's air strips. No doubt his men are on it right now drinking my scotch and seeing who fits in my suits."
Dembe: "Then we'll have to find another way out of here."
Red: "Without Werner or his contacts, shipping lanes, airfields, I can't do anything from Gibraltar to the Urals. Every piece of his machinery is up in the air now, and where they land is anybody's guess. For the time being, we'll have to be comfortable with chaos."
Episode 4x19

Dembe: "You're having doubts."
Red: "I am. I haven't loved many people in my life. Kate is one of them. You know, as much as her betrayal hurt, what really hurt was knowing what I would have to do in response. She was wrong to think Elizabeth and her child were safer without me in their lives. But in the end, she was.. she did what she did out of love for the little girl she swore to protect what seems like a lifetime ago."
Dembe: "It broke my heart, that day in the woods. Hearing the gunshot. Leaving her behind. Right or wrong, it was between you and her. This war she started must stop. Kate must be stopped."
Red: "I agree. I'm just not at all sure of the right way. And depending on the way, whether I'd be up to it. I need to look her in the face and see if I still recognize her."
Dembe: "Raymond, she has gone too far all to prove that you have gone too far.
She can't see what she's become."
Red: "What if I'm the one who can't see?"
Dembe: "No, Raymond. Remember why you surrendered yourself to the FBI in the first place? Remember what all of this was about. You can't give up now. You can't let Kate destroy everything that gives you purpose. Our work is not yet done. I loved Kate, too, but it's time to end this. Stop it. Stop her."
Episode 4x20

Dembe: "This is a mistake."
Red: "Perhaps."
Dembe: "Your purpose is to protect Elizabeth, but mine is to protect you. If things get very bad, this will make that impossible."
Episode 4x21

Dembe: "You didn't deny it?"
Red: "I didn't."
Dembe: "And she thinks that's Kate secret?"
Red: "Yes."
Dembe: "So she doesn't know about the suitcase?"
Red: "Not yet. It is gone."
Dembe: "Raymond I'm not sure Elizabeth will ever be ready to learn about what you did to Katarina."
Red: "We got to find that goddamn suitcase."
Episode 4x22

x

quotes
— s e a s o n . f i v e —

Red: "Tell me you have news."
Dembe: "I was able to trace the suitcase to a bus station in Columbia Heights.
But it's gone. No witnesses, no surveillance."
Red: "Dembe, one of Kaplan's associates has to have it. We need to find that suitcase before it finds its way to Elizabeth."
Episode 5x01

Red: "I thought I'd lost you."
Dembe: "Not yet, old friend."
Red: "The world can be such an unsparingly savage place. One could be forgiven for believing that evil will triumph in the end."
Dembe: "Those who believe so are wrong."
Red: "If you'd died today, like that, it would be all the proof I needed that you are the one who is wrong."
Dembe: "And here I am."
Red: "And here you are."
Episode 5x07

Dembe: "I've already been approved for transport."
Red: "You went in to get a name. You got it. Mission accomplished."
Dembe: "People are dying."
Red: "Which is why you mustn't go."
Dembe: "Or why I must. I know what it feels like to be seen as less than human. A thing transported for money. You saved me from that. Which is why I know you'll want me to try and save others."
Red: "I'll fly you back to Thessaloniki, then head up to Berlin and wait for your arrival. If we lose contact, the Task Force will track you from the point of departure. And I can work backwards from the destination until we find you."
Dembe: "If something goes wrong.."
Red: "It won’t. If it does I'll look after your family."
Dembe: "I know you will. But my concern is, who will look after you?"
Episode 5x07

Dembe: What makes you think they're at the house?
Red: He's in trouble, he's desperate. But he won't leave without Elizabeth and Agnes.
Dembe: You haven't asked my opinion.
Red: No, I haven't.
Dembe: Why can't you be honest with her?
Red: I don't know. I don't know.
Dembe: Even after everything that's happened? All that's been lost?
Episode 5x08

Red: "You're always telling me to make peace, I've made peace."
Dembe: "You're still lying to him and to Elizabeth. Until you stop lying, there will be no peace."
Episode 5x08

Dembe: This means everything to her.
Red: And to me.
Dembe: For a different reason. She doesn't know what, but she knows. "Clever turn of phrase" is a polite way of saying you're being dishonest.
Episode 5x12

Dembe: Edward has fueled the jet. If you insist, we can leave within the hour.
Red: You're a good friend who takes better care of me than I deserve.
Episode 5x20

banner by Miranda

the fans 01. L i N d $ @ y | 02. SLAT92 | 03. Amyღ | 04. mccullers | 05. Nekoshoujo
o6. SensationalShay | 07. xlennie | 08. Miranda | 09. ~MelBelle~ | 10. deejay0212
11. Lauren Helen Graham | 12. stlavin95 | 13. cherrypie12345

X

"You know, twenty nine years ago, in Sierra Leone, there was a farmer named Samwel Zuma,
who had the audacity to identify several low level Mombasa operatives to local authorities.
The cartel massacred the entire family. All but the youngest son; he was sold to a local ring of flesh peddlers.
The majority of children in those circumstances don’t last longer than nine months.
He survived eight years. He was fourteen when I found him. Too old, too tall, too angry and dangerous to be of any further value.
He was left to die, chained to a standpipe in a squalored brothel in Nairobi. Branded, barely alive, so I took him. Made him well, saw to his education.
He graduated university with a Bachelor’s degree in English Literature. He speaks four languages fluently and can get by on half a dozen more.
He is splendid. His name is Dembe. Dembe Zuma."

x

the reasons
Because they would do anything for each other.
Because Red saved Dembe's life.
Because Red trusts Dembe with his life.
Because Dembe is like a son to Red.
Because Dembe told Red to tell Liz the truth.
Because Dembe took care of Red after he got shot.
Because Dembe isn't afraid to tell Red what he thinks.
Because Dembe is much more than an associate to Red.
Because Dembe is Red's better half.
Because Dembe would never betray Red.
Because even though Dembe might not always agree with Red, he still is there for Red.
Because Red gave Dembe a way out even though Dembe doesn't want that.
Because Dembe is never going to leave Red.
Because Dembe did everything in his power to find out who was after Red.
Because Dembe is Red's only friend.
Because everywhere Red goes, Dembe goes.

banner by Miranda

future titles
"Dembe's timing is impeccable; his most deadly attribute, his patience."
"You should have let me die, Dembe. Nobody told me about this aimless walking."
"Goodbye, my brother."
"I understand why you didn't." "No, you don't. The blessing of an honest man."

past titles
"Ours is a friendship forged once in this life and again in the next."
"Raymond, don't. That was then. It serves no purpose to kill him now."
"You were right Dembe, I should have told her."
"That is what a good man does. That is what separates men like him from men like you and me."
"Dembe, while you're at it, you should have him take a look at that mole." "It's a freckle."
"You speak Italian?" "There was a girl." "Of course there was."
"I really only have one friend. You're my friend."
"Dembe didn't stay with me because he saw me as his savior. He stayed with me because he saw me for the man I really was."
"Dembe is more than an associate to me."

previous threads
01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 |

Last edited by Lauren Helen Graham; 03-31-2019 at 08:05 AM