View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 09:16 PM
I'm Brian Kinney, FFS!
Master Fan

So I just watched the finale again (completing my second watch-through of the entire series), and I have now seen it once on Netflix and once on DVD. I just had to share this while it's fresh...

-deep breath- I actually...loved the finale, this time. (*gets ready to hide from backlash*) Wow. I was watching the last two episodes with a pile of tissues on my lap, prepared to bawl my eyes out like last time (and yeah, I totally had several tear-jerking moments), but I finished the last episode with a huge smile on my face, instead of tears. I had these warm fuzzy feelings. I was satisfied. I know a lot of people don't agree (and that's fine!), but I'm happy it was that way for me.

Some people have said they wish there was a little more reassurance from Brian/Justin that they'd see each other again. I felt satisfied with what happened. I mean, the discussion about how Brian didn't return the rings...that was enough for me. Justin reassures Brian that they'll see each other all the time, and Brian says, "You don't know that," etc., which is true...they don't know.

...but, I'm reminded of this great quote:
"If you love something, set it free...if it comes back, it was always yours. If it doesn't, it never was."

...and c'mon, we know Brian/Justin have the real deal. Real love. That's exactly why Brian's letting him go. Brian's never known a love like this, never even imagined he could. Was totally opposed to the idea of it even existing, in fact. Then Justin happened. He's forever changed. And look at all Brian's done for Justin. He'll never know another love like Brian, either.

They might separate for a while. Maybe even years. But they'll be back. And I don't just say that from my fangirl hopes and dreams. I say that with confidence from the last interactions between the characters, and their history.

The first time I watched the finale, I was so pissed off at Linds for repeatedly stating that Justin needed to leave to go to NY. I felt like she was breaking them up. This time, I only felt a minor annoyance at her for bringing it up so much, but ultimately, I felt like it needed to be done, because Justin wouldn't do it himself. (And who knows, maybe Justin would actually fail in NY. Not that I'd want that, but it could happen. He might also just not like it there. He could run into a similar situation as he did in Hollywood. Who knows. But he had to find out.) I loved Justin's argument about how Brian was moving further away from the man he'd fallen in love with. I totally agreed. They were losing themselves in each other, and it wouldn't have lasted that way. But only because they *both* needed more time.

I *love* the last scene at Babylon. I understand the theories that it's just Brian/Mikey's fantasy when it comes back to life, but I believe Brian really did get it reopened. And I actually (don't kill me!) liked that Justin wasn't there. Not because I WANT Brian/Justin to be apart, but because it was reminiscent of the beginning. Everything's come full circle. That was the whole point, to me. At a distant glance, it's like, "Oh yeah, look, Brian's just back to being the same person," but he's not. Not by a longshot. I like Mikey's speach about, "I realized that some things aren't meant to change." Yes, Brian SHOULDN'T *change* who he is, and I was over the moon to see the reconciliation of him and Mikey, and Mikey's realization that Babylon is still very much a part of HIM, too, and his kind of giving Brian support at still wanting to be a "club boy," at least in part. This ties in with Brian's last scene at Kinnetik where he says, "It's still all about sex." That part of him hadn't died. He was just trying to deny it because he felt like he should. But there's so much evidence building up that Brian's not actually happy about the upcoming wedding. Like the irritated/flat way he says, "Wouldn't you rather cuddle?" That's not Brian Kinney. Justin called him on it right away. But Brian's forever *evolved* as a person, having known true love. His heart and soul have depths to them he'd never have known otherwise. But by the end he can still go back to dancing by himself, and be OK. (and ultimately, a person has to be OK being with themselves if they can ever make it in a love relationship, in "real life".) It would've been terrible if we just saw him crying in a corner or drinking/drugging himself into a stupor without Justin. No way. Brian Kinney lives on. I loved that Mikey pushes him to dance when Brian's first trying to walk away saying, "I'm too..." and Mikey says, "OLD?!" As much time as I spent being mad at Mikey during their fight in the last season, he really redeemed himself in the finale.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. I just really think that this episode showed so much love, like, REAL love. The lesbians move away, but there's a lengthy goodbye about how they'll all be in touch and see each other on holidays and visit and blah blah blah. No one can just up and leave, because they're a family. They'll always be family. And Brian and Justin will always have their love. "It's only time." Brian blew my mind with that. Not even the hopeless romantic in me wanted the ending to be any different, this time. Brian/Justin can have what they both want from each other, it just isn't quite time yet.

Also, what a difference watching this on DVD makes. The song "Proud" made the tone completely different from the "watered-down version" (as Scott Lowell referred to the song on Netflix ), so maybe that also helped me love it way more. I also hadn't seen that little bonus clip all the way at the end of the credits, with all the friends dancing together. I dunno, guys. I just loved it, this time. If anyone actually read this, that's awesome.