View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 01:50 PM
MyrnaLynne
Master Fan

'Anything Goes!' was great. So great in fact, I got tickets for me and Mlette to see 'Music Man' their next production in August. Too funny, the night I bought tickets for that, 'Music Man' was on TV, the movie. And tomorrow Mlette and I are going downtown to see the touring Broadway production of "Aladdin.' This is my 'theater summer' I guess! There's also free Shakespeare in the park (Richard III) but not too keen on sitting outside on the grass with the bugs - getting too old to sit on the ground anymore!

I'd never seen 'Anything Goes!' - was familiar with the songs but not the story of the play, which was a pretty silly farce (PG Wodehouse wrote it). People on a cruise ship sailing to London from NYC in the late 1920s/early 1930s? A gangster masquerading as a minister and his girlfriend/moll, a real priest (who gets arrested instead) and two Chinese converts he's traveling with, a rich guy, his clerk who is in love with a gal about to marry a foppish British Lord and her rich mother (who lost the fortune in the stock market crash, and wants daughter to marry rich guy). Dancing and singing sailors. A tough nightclub 'evangelist' and her back up singers/dancers. It was a pretty good show! Big show stopping tap dancing singing numbers. Lead actress had a big Broadway/West End voice. Don't make em like that anymore! LOL!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan