View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 07:47 PM
Lethally Floral
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
I haven't watched in ages, I thought one of the sisters had nicer clothes etc, so it came across as being more well off.
It's not rich vs. poor but formal vs. casual.

They were both well off---just a different kind of well off. Annie's family was posh and polished. Old money. The family probably cares about class, status and appearances.

Hallie was raised with Nick, a rancher. But they were more rugged. Jeans and tee-shirts is an appropriate uniform. He probably owns a lot of land and that house was gorgeous. But wearing a lot of fashion, except under more formal circumstances like dinner, would seem out of place. And indeed, one of the clues that the fiancee wasn't going to last is because she was overdressed and looked uncomfortable when she tried to get casual whereas Elizabeth rocked both formal and casual looks without breaking a sweat.

And make no mistake, there are jeans and flannel shirts that are expensive.

Quote:
I loved this remake but I think the original in 1961 with Hayley Mills was far better.
I like the original better too--I'm more likely to rewatch. But I think part of this for people is that the first one they saw is their favorite. Both are really good and I will watch if I catch either on TV.