View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Regan
Part-Time Fan

I like that Commander Lawrence's Martha was named Cora, a nice nod to the book.

I suspected that he wasn't as awful as one would believe him to be, given his history and generally unpleasant demeanor, but I didn't expect that he would go so far as to get Emily out of Gilead. I'd say that even a man of his standing would suffer for what he has done, but the Council seem to have bought all kinds of rubbish stories from Fred, so he could get away with it if he can come up with a half-decent cover story.

Kudos to the Wives for their effort, even if it got nowhere. It's a step in the right direction for them, and I love that, while they may have been willing to accept a life of subservience for themselves, for the promise of children, they want better for their daughters. It wasn't just about reading; I'd say that the Council would have been equally opposed to audiobooks of the Bible being supplied to the women and girls of Gilead. They're using scripture to justify their dominance, so the last thing they want is for those they oppress to have access to more of the Bible than the bits that suit them.

Emily stabbing Aunt Lydia was great. I don't imagine for a moment that Aunt Lydia will die, but it'll be interesting to see what happens next. If her injuries are such that she will not be able to work, I doubt very much that Gilead has a nice retirement home for its Aunts, so she could end up in the Colonies.

The idea of a network of Marthas is perfect. They're arguably the most invisible women in Gilead, and therefore in a position to do some damage from the shadows.

I can understand why June chose to stay behind, even if I wish that she had left with Emily and the baby. She won't allow either of her daughters to grow up in Gilead if it lies in her power to stop it.

Did she rename the baby Nicole as a 'thank you' to Serena for letting them go, or because it was easier to let her go if she could think of her as being partly Serena's baby, while Hannah is hers?

One big question is what Fred will do now. "His" baby has been snatched out of his household, but every member of his household is involved. How bad is he going to look if he has to explain to the Council that his Handmaid, Wife, Martha and driver were all complicit in the escape, especially when he has a history of issues with Handmaids, and very recently had to deal with the scandal of Eden running away with Isaac? I wouldn't be surprised if Fred insists that the baby was kidnapped by a third party rather than admit that he has no control over his household.

For next season, I hope that Emily makes it to Canada. She would be a perfect voice for the Handmaids as she has nobody left in Gilead. If June escaped and became a spokesperson against Gilead, there could be reprisals against Hannah, depending on whether or not her adoptive parents have the clout to protect her. Emily's wife and son are hopefully safe in Canada, so she will have some support.

I'd also like to know the significance of Fred's map, and just how much of the United States is part of Gilead.