View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:42 AM
TaraJoyful
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
I'm not saying that Octavia is right and I totally understand being pissed off at her right now, but I don't think the only purpose of the fighting pits was to control the population. It's the whole "enemy of Wonkru" thing as well. Two birds with one stone. I think Octavia's main motivation this season isn't to maintain power for herself, but to keep her people unified and at peace with each other. Like you saw how quickly they started bickering and fighting about who's skaikru and who's in what clan as soon as Octavia was in a coma. This goes back to Jaha's final lesson to her about needing to create an enemy for her people to fight against together. She's gotten them through six years of apparent hell this way and I think she's just really scared of what will happen to everyone if their unity falls apart.
Yeah, that's the way I saw it too. And your callback to Jaha's final lesson explained it pretty perfectly.

Octavia is a warrior more than anything else, has been since season 2. She's not necessarily a natural leader like some of the other characters, so this is the way she has to lead to maintain control.

"Who we are and who we need to be to survive are two very different things." Octavia has just been focused on Wonkru surviving. So now that her morality is being questioned, I don't think she knows quite how to deal with it.