View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 03:56 AM
CanIcallYouKate
Elite Fan

Sarah, Lisa
Don't feel like you have to, it's not that profound after all (in the harsh light of day, I just re-read it myself )

Quote:
I think this pretty much sums it up. It's a sobering thought indeed. Kind of like a quote from the movie Batman Begins - "it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
Taryn, I love that you mention this (not that I've seen the movies).

Since writing the word vomit above I have read the review posted in the episode thread last night, which made a big point of talking about judging based on actions or intent.
Which in a way fits in nicely with what you've mentioned as well.

I think the review focused on judging Echo based on "who she is" (intent, as done by Bellamy) or actions (as done by Octavia).

I mean even in societal rules and law, we judge differently based on what intent is. Let's say Trump fired Comey based on his perceived bad job performance (legal) or based on "I want this investigation into potential collusion to stop" (= obstruction of justice). Or even simpler: killing someone in self-defense vs killing someone to steal their stuff. Judged very differently.

Quote:
Yet I always got the impression that their "default settings" were different - Lincoln seemed a warrior at heart who chose (and sometimes struggled) not to fight unless he had to. Ilian seemed just the opposite - he was a pacifist at heart who would not shy away from a fight if it was necessary.
I love this
Maybe default setting is what I mean with "the true person", the core character.

For example, Clarke has a big sense of morality, right and wrong, and a huge protective streak. She might have stood up for perceived injustices when it came to classmates or sth like that back on the Ark. She did struggle against what she thought was her premature execution (not fair, because the rule was, when I am 18).

So then all her actions that caused 100s of deaths are just a logical conclusion to that, right?

She goes 6 years in peace but the day other folk shows up whom she perceives as a threat to Madi's safety, she kills 4 dudes right off the bat.

Kate | art thread | tumblr | icon