Old 04-23-2006, 01:40 AM
NZOCFan
Elite Fan

Quote:
Hollywood meets St. Thomas
Homegrown movie star among those to be honoured by city award

Saturday April 22, 2006

By Times-Journal Staff
While their interests range from athletics to music and from fundraising to volunteering their time, this year’s recipients of St. Thomas’s civic awards have one thing in common -- their impact on the community.
At the 33rd Honours and Awards Banquet for civic recognition, to be held April 27 at the St. Thomas-Elgin Memorial Centre auditorium, 23 community-minded individuals will be recognized for their various contributions to St. Thomas.
“It’s a very special evening,” said Dianne Morgan, manager of Culture and Recreation for the City of St. Thomas. “Every year it’s very special because it’s the individuals that are recognized that make it so special.”
Among those to be honoured at the ceremony include movie star Rachel McAdams, for her contribution to culture, Bill Horne, for his long-time commitment to baseball, and Carol Beechey and John Millard, for volunteering their musical talents to the community.
“Pretty much any time they’re (Beechey and Millard) called upon, they volunteer their time out of the goodness of their hearts,” said Morgan. “They’re pretty amazing.”
Beechey and Millard have given their time to Terry Fox, the Iron Horse Festival and M&M Meats charity barbecue, among many other events.
And while Horne deserves recognition for bringing home the Canadian Senior Men’s fastball championship in August, Morgan said his involvement in athletics extends far beyond the recent win. “He’s been involved in baseball from the minors right up to that spectacular senior men’s win last year,” said Morgan. “He’s committed to the community and bring sports events to St. Thomas. He’s a hard worker and a great guy.”
This year’s recipients were nominated by members of the community, with approval by a city committee.
The awards ceremony, which will be MC’ed by BX93’s Chris Harding, includes a full buffet dinner, starting at 6 p.m., with entertainment by Sarah Westbrook.
Tickets are available through the city’s Recreation Services weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Credit
Dearest Cecilia, the story can resume. The one I had been planning on that evening walk. I can become again the man who once crossed the Surrey Park at dusk, in my best suit, swaggering on the promise of life. The man who, with the clarity of passion, made love to you in the library. The story can resume. I will return. Find you, love you, marry you and live without shame.
|| JESS