View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Meliana
Fan Forum Hero

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Forum's 150,000 Posts Celebration!!

Testimonial celebrating 150,000 posts on Sci-Fi/Fantasy Board by Meliana:

Science fiction and fantasy have always been a part of my life, my parents always watched British shows like Doctor Who and Blake's Seven, my mother encouraged me to read the Narnia books by C. S. Lewis, which I loved. I also watched a lot of US things like Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman and Wonder Woman. I grew up obsessed by these programmes and films and the versions of them which came later, and other shows like Stargate, Farscape and Babylon 5. At the age of 15 I heard the BBC radio adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, and promptly read the entire book in 5 days. My obsession with the film version in later years brought me my first internet friends and conventions, including a trip to LA to see the Oscars.

I've always played computer games most of which are sci-fi or fantasy based, like Tomb Raider, Doom and more recently Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is still to this day the best version of Batman I know. I've also been heavily into some of the more horror parts of the genre with The Mummy, Predator and Alien. Loving blockbusters like Jurassic Park, Back to the Future and Independence Day, and supernatural films like Ghost, Ghostbusters, and Indiana Jones. I watch fewer cartoon versions these days, but my introduction to Marvel was Spiderman and The X-Men cartoons I saw growing up. Futurama is so good I showed it all to my kids.

I got more into Marvel because of the recent series of films, which brilliantly all follow on from each other and have done for years, which is so unusual. Other more recent obsessions include Lost, The Originals and Once Upon A Time. In fact it was my love of OUAT which led me (eventually) to becoming a member of Fan Forum in the first place.

After some time I started branching out onto other boards such as Star Trek, to post about my other obsessions, and after some time I was open to the idea of becoming a moderator, but I waited for the right opportunity to come up, this however took over a year.

I'm very glad I waited though, as I started chatting to Rita (wickedrum) before and during the Colin O'Donoghue challenge last year, which encouraged me to start posting on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy board. I'd never really looked much at the General Discussion boards before, and I quickly found a lot of interesting threads and I started going through the board to find things I was interested in.

From the beginning it occurred to me that it would be just the kind of board I'd love to moderate, it was quiet and had nice posters, lots of fun interesting threads, a great co-mod. I felt I had a lot to add to it and that it would be fun to experiment in making OPs, and fixing problems.

I guess the keenness for the board showed to others, as I jumped at the chance to co-mod the board, and have loved doing it ever since. Well done to everyone to everyone for helping us get to 150,000 posts, may we get many more milestones like this one!

Claire

This board is a terrific place for fans of the genre. It's great to have a place to appreciate, remember and discuss all the terrific shows that unfortunately tend to be short lived. Thanks so much to Rita and Claire for making it a friendly and welcoming place to post. ~ Chris

Icons: