View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 05:50 AM
girl under the floor
Fan Forum Hero

So I came onto Tumblr before I even watched the episode yesterday morning. And I saw a lot of Octavia hate being thrown around. So I was bracing myself for the episode.
And then . . . I didn't see it And I don't get it
And after seeing the episode; it makes me annoyed.
People didn't dismiss Bellamy or Clarke after all the crap they pulled, but Octavia gets dismissed now. And I assume that's because Octavia isn't a universally loved character to begin with.

Obviously I'm watching episodes with my Octavia glasses on
I mean, we all have that character we like most and / or identify with. And I identify with her and she's clearly my favorite But I really don't get all the hate thrown at her

So, starting off with the beginning of the episode: Kane in the ring (commenting on both fights here, the entire situation of it).
Whether we agree with it or not, this is the situation they're in. This is what we saw happening in 5x02. The enemies of Wonkru have to fight in the ring. And maybe in those 6 years before some has refused, maybe not. But it seems to me that if you refuse to fight, it's pretty obvious; you're gonna die. And you know what? I actually appreciate that in such a case, Octavia would come down to kill said person herself.
The burden of having to fight for your life is already big enough. Imagine adding up to that the fact that the other person even refuses to fight. Of course, it's also another burden to Octavia that she would have to do it in that case, but she's the leader. Not saying all leaders should carry all burdens around, but yeah, taking ownership of that leadership, of that choice in that way actually speaks to me
I get that we're upset she'd actually do it.
But what the heck was she supposed to do? If it were any other (nameless!) Grounder, an extra, a lot of people would not have a problem with it. But because it's Kane, everyone's angry at Octavia.
Let me be clear: I would not have appreciated it had she killed Kane. But she can't very well go around and cherry pick people she gets to save Even if she technically could, being the leader and all, let's be real, she can't. I don't believe for a second she wanted to have Kane fight again after that first fight. But she had to make that call, based on the crowd's reaction. Do I have feelings and opinions about that? Sure. Doesn't change the fact that this IS the situation she's in (she's manoeuvred herself into, if you will ).
When Octavia's talking to Kane before the second fight, to me it's very clear that she's torn on this. She doesn't want to send him in the arena. NOT JUST for the fact that she knew he didn't do it. She cares about him and she doesn't want him to have to fight.
He tells her that Wonkru is strong, but that she should show mercy too. I get that. But I think that by this time she's convinced this is the only way. I think a lot of this has to do with Gaia too. I'm just speculating here, but somewhere at the beginning of 5x02 Indra told Gaia that Gaia's support for Octavia is needed. I totally assume that is because Gaia is a Flamekeeper. It's their religion. Octavia fighting those people at the end of the episode ("You are Wonkru, or you are the enemy of Wonkru. Choose."), obviously that was a big thing, she got them to bow*, but Gaia then threw in her support. Without Gaia's support, not all Grounders would've come aboard. There'd still have been troubles later on I think.

*I'm not a big fan of people bowing in general But I appreciate symbolism. She's not a Commander, she's a Queen.

That dark year's got me really intrigued. And I'm still on board the possible cannibalism idea

And gosh do I love Indra!
Throughout this entire episode it was so clear to me that she didn't agree with Octavia, yet she was gonna support her unconditionally. And I don't believe for one second that is out of fear. That's love.

Sidenote: Abby's pill addiction: I tend to have very little patience with story lines like this. They annoy me. Them struggles are real, but I'm so not here for it Also, how many pills were there even in the bunker to begin with? They must've had quite a stash to last her alone six years, not even taking into account that other people must've used medicine too

Oh the freaking Blakes reunion
Bellamy brings out those moments in her, where for just a few seconds, she's vulnerable, holding onto him for dear life.
Clarke and Octavia not hugging made sense to me. They didn't exactly leave each other on the best of turns, it almost seemed like an acknowledgement of the kind of relationship they had that they didn't hug.
Octavia immediately not trusting the Eligius people as she shouldn't. Don't even consider the fact that we already know the Eligius people. The fact that Octavia is weary off these new people and not willing to trust them right away is exactly how she should react. You just don't trust armed strangers right away
I SO appreciated that Wonkru stayed dead silent and didn't even move when Diyoza spoke to them, but only sprung into action as Octavia's nod of approval
Taking the weapons up. Again - as they should. It wouldn't make sense either way to leave their weapons in the bunker

I know very well that I'm in the minority here, but I was actually annoyed at Bellamy being so judgemental right away. It's been 6 freaking years. Instead of passing judgement right away, he could've asked first, what happened, how it happened and why it happened. And then judge away
What can I say, my Octavia defensive mechanisms are up in full force
Also, the fact that he conveniently got Octavia out of the way for them to lift Kane up, do you think he was in on that?

And now, this, this is where I don't agree with Octavia.
It's NOT Bellamy's fault that the Eligius people didn't keep to the deal he made. It's not his fault that that idiot guy tried to shoot / blast Octavia.
She can be upset for trusting him. Fine. But she doesn't get to blame him for it.
I love Octavia, but one of the things I like less about her, is that there always has to be someone/something to blame. Stuff just happens. People don't always do what you'd hoped / wanted. Unexpected shizzle happens. Placing the blame, pointing the finger isn't helping.
I loved that even Miller called her Blodreina. Not because I like the nickname, but it showed that he's on her side, he's part of her group. I suspect he won't easily get up and follow Bellarke as leaders instead of Octavia (?) This will likely cause some conflict that I'll probably hate and love at the same time

I LOVED all the Murven stuff. I will probably never ship them, but I'm a Big Fan of their friendship They're totally gonna get hurt up there and I don't want it
I'm totally on board the Shaw/Raven ship already. "She even had time to flip me the bird." I don't even think Raven locked him out when he was trying to fire those missiles. He just didn't wanna do it.
Diyoza calling Raven a coward
That Bellarke reunion was so beautifully done
ALL the hugs I'm here for the hugs! This episode made me tear up multiple times