View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 04:13 AM
*MH*
Supreme Fan

New Ferrari deal 'likely' - Schumacher
''I am so happy here''

Ferrari's Michael Schumacher has refused to categorically deny that he might switch teams next year.

The German, out of contract at the end of 2006, is - despite raging speculation about possible retirement or a sensational move to Renault - delaying any final decision about his future.

But Schumacher has now told Britain's Times newspaper that a new deal at the Maranello based team, Ferrari, is 'very likely'.

He said: ''There are obviously other options but at this stage, I won't consider them. Why should I? I am so happy here. I would have to have a very good reason to move to another team.''

Michael, who has previously mused about a '99 per cent likelihood of staying put, conceded that one such good reason might just be the 'c' word -- competitiveness.

After winning only the six-car Grand Prix at Indianapolis last year, 2006 has kicked off with another run of three races without a win.

But there's always the next race. And, ominously for Ferrari's rivals, the next race is at Imola -- a hotbed of Italian 'Tifosi' and usually suitable for the Bridgestone-clad team.

Schumacher told his website: ''We want to win at Imola, and we want to play a more active part in the world championship fight.

''I do not think that it is too late, and I do not think that the (points) gap is too big to close.''

Alonso would settle for second
Predicting a Ferrari resurgence

Fernando Alonso has indicated that he might be happy to settle for second place in Sunday's Imola race.

Similar to last year, the reigning World Champion has amassed a commanding twenty eight points from the first three GPs of 2006, giving him a comfortable lead over rivals including Kimi Raikkonen, Jenson Button and Michael Schumacher.

"I would be happy to be in the top two," Alonso told the Italian La Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

Alonso attracted criticism last year for settling for podium places in order to protect his championship lead. He indicated that he would do it again to secure back-to-back drivers' triumph.

He told the 'paper: "The most important thing is to avoid making mistakes, and to be consistently on the podium, knowing that you can't always have ten points from each race."

His conservatism going into the San Marino Grand Prix is probably inspired by Ferrari's predicted return to form on home ground. In 2005, Alonso managed to resist Michael Schumacher's strong challenge to take the win.

"We are the reference at the moment," Alonso admitted, "but other teams are all good enough to win races. I think Ferrari will be back. Their (Bridgestone) tyres work well at this circuit, so I expect them to be extremely competitive."

F1 set for chilly Imola
Changeable conditions predicted

Imola can expect a chilly and changeable weekend of weather for the circuit's 26th Grand Prix.

Although rain was forecast for the town in the Bologna (Italy) province on Wednesday, it should ease to a morning shower by Friday.

More showers, however, could fall on qualifying Saturday, but the race itself is heading for a cloudy top of about fourteen C degrees Celsius.

“We could face cold conditions,” said Toyota's Ralf Schumacher, “but you never know what the weather will bring there.”