View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Liriel
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
Interesting point, and it makes it more frustrating how MMiI pushed Tess away for being closed off from humans meanwhile they were the same way in early s1. It's a bit hypocritical to alienate her for that.
Now, I'm not prepared to go that far. I don't like S2, and can't remember it all that well, so am only commenting on season 1.

They pushed her away originally because she lied to them, manipulated them, and screwed with their minds, perceptions, and feelings via her power. That I felt was extremely justified - she'd shown herself untrustworthy with the limited information they had. There was some hostility when she was willing to abandon the humans, I admit (and they were in emotional-high-pressure situations at the time), but by the end of the season, Max was all "four us now" and willing to accept her as a member of the group. He was just wasn't willing to exclude the humans and wasn't willing to be her husband.

Second season, it was all very wonky and inconsistent. And filled with plotholes that made Tess's evil plan make no sense and not even actually be possible with what was shown on-screen earlier in the season.

I definitely think Tess's perceptions of humans late season 1 doesn't make her evil and doesn't mean she doesn't have potential. But I also don't think the others are obligated to think well of her or accept her or forgive her for insulting their friends. Yes, they used to be where she is now in regards to humans. But if I used to cheat on my lovers or treat them like dirt (I didn't, it's an example), then reformed my ways, it doesn't mean I can't choose not to hang around who still do the same. Doesn't mean they're beyond improving, but I'm not obligated to hang out with them on the hope they'll improve. If they didn't recognize that they used to be the same way, then they'd be more hypocritical, but I'm not sure that ever happened. Especially since Tess quickly got all sweet-happy-families with the Valentis pretty quickly in S2 if I recall correctly (and I may not - haven't watched since original airing) and so no longer had that aspect. Until she was suddenly retconned into evil in a move that made no sense.