View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 05:04 AM
FireQueen
Supreme Fan

I want her to found the Central City Citizen but TV news reporter sounds fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp (View Post)
Concern trolls are so transparent it's embarrassing. They say she's "useless" but when she saves the day they are even more angry. It's like we all know why you hate her, just be straight and get moving. Nobody cares. I wonder what it will be now that her career is back in play.
STAR Drags: AJK's favorite basement

Iris is the most relevant character after Barry. If she were to be written off that would impact the story in a way that Ralph/Cisco/Caitlin/Harry being written off wouldn't. They'd just replace them with other metas/scientists and be done with it.

Replacing the wife of the protagonist would take the story in a completely different direction and impact the structure of the show. Iris especially is so crucial to Barry's development as a man and a hero because of the emotional connection she has always shared with him.

People like to label the love interest "useless" because they suffer from Team Superhero centered mentality but the tech support is not essential to the protagonist doing his hero thing. The show is about the Flash, not Team Flash. From where I stand, the hero, the love interest and the villain are the most relevant characters in a story. The rest of the characters enrich it and stop. They can have their own side plots but when it comes to their connection to the hero, they are functional.