View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 06:25 AM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I wanted to share something that I wrote about the character of Joey at the end of Season Three:

When I moderated the Dawson's Creek board, I used to write discussion topics, and this was one of them. Little did I know then that the character of Joey Potter would become even worse in the subsequent seasons.
Wonderful thoughts.

Teresa was right on about Joey being so angry it was tough to watch. She was really bang on.

As I was reading your post and you were describing season 1 moments, I even got goosebumps remembering all of those moments between Dawson/Joey. Precious, epic scenes. It is incredible thinking about what happened to them as time moved on and Joey moved away from the very person so many cheered for in season 1. I would love to know who decided to write Joey differently in season 2 and beyond. It was such a drastic change and sadly, Kevin was still around somewhat in season 2 so he watched it go down as well. Why? Why change her so much so quickly? You are right, as the seasons continued on, she became more and more insufferable.

To make matters worse, these writers hated writing for women. It wasn't just Joey either... look what they did to Jen and Andie, even Abby for that matter. I never realized it at the time, but the degrading ways they wrote this gender is disgusting. The end of season 3 and that lame triangle really makes me want to poke my eyes out in looking back. When I watched live, all I saw was the horrible actions of Pacey/Joey and how Dawson and Andie took the fall to facilitate Pacey/Joey. The biggest WTF was clearly the misogynistic portrayal.

I've never encountered a TV show before where I can absolutely adore a character in one season and then the following season I don't even believe what I'm watching as the character does a complete 180. For me, it was Joey season 1 and then Joey season 2 and on.