View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

I'll see the Black Panther movie, but I'm not a big fan of the Black Panther. Like I've said before, he's too perfect, like a DC character rather than a Marvel one. There's a reason I prefer Marvel to DC. And DC characters can be saved by good actors (like Gal Gadot), but I find Chadwick Boseman (the Black Panther actor) not that impressive. He's kind of stiff and he really screwed up playing James Brown in Get On Up. Didn't come off anything like him. Admittedly, impersonating somebody as distinctive as James Brown is hard, but his performance really put me off. Plus I wish they'd cast an actor from Africa as the Black Panther, because he's from Africa. There's lots of actors in Africa and Hollywood just ignores them. Finally there's an African hero in his own big blockbuster and they can't get an actor from Africa to play him. The world is always pissing on Africa.

The Black Panther is very important as the first black superhero, but I prefer Storm and Luke Cage. Comic book Storm is one of my top six favorite comic book superheroes and Luke Cage is really great in the Netflix shows. The Luke Cage actor, Mike Colter, is spectacular in the role. Those two characters are great. I'd much rather see a Luke Cage or Storm movie than a Black Panther one.

I think I get why they made the Black Panther so perfect. It was during the Civil Rights era and there was a lot of serious racism in America and they wanted to compensate by creating a black character who was all-around great. But while that works for opposing racism, it's not so good for chracter design. Characters with flaws, weaknesses, etc, are more relatable. Marvel has a long tradition of making characters like that and that's why its characters are more interesting than DC's. Even Thor isn't perfect and Hercules is full of flaws -he's the god who's always messing up. But they went a different way with the Black Panther and while I can understand why they did it, it doesn't work out so good for a character. Later black characters like Luke Cage, Storm and Bishop are very much better in my opinion.

And as regards Bishop, they later insulted two races by switching him from African American to Australian Aborigine descent. It's a classic case of the dark-skinned-people-are-all-the-same thinking. It's an insult to Aborigines and to black people. Plus they took a good character away from African Americans. If they wanted an Aborigine character couldn't they just create one? Switching Bishop's race was one of the Marvel's dumbest moves this century, in a century when they have hardly been short of dumb moves.

Last edited by sum1; 01-28-2018 at 11:40 PM