View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 06:53 AM
MyrnaLynne
Master Fan

Drama to the last minute. My son's flight was cancelled and rebooked for the next day (Sunday) and we picked him up that afternoon. My brother and niece were ready to leave for the airport, when my niece started throwing up (and throwing down) and got very ill - so my brother flew out by himself, and niece stayed home. Brother got in safely, took taxi to his hotel and went to bed Sunday and we picked him up Monday enroute to the funeral - I brought him my ankle length down 'dog walking coat' that will keep a person warm in below zero weather (he came from Los Angeles, he doesn't own winter clothing).

Oh and Monday morning, it not only was bitter cold, but it started snowing! But the snow stopped in time for the funeral, and was big fluffy snow/didnt' amount to much (and now it's supposed to snow tomorrow, when my son and brother have to fly back.. worry).

But everything went very well. There wasn't a big turn out, but when you're almost 95, most of your family is gone, and even though it was a holiday here (Martin Luther King Day), it was a weekday and bitter cold, so it's a lot to ask of people (even Barbara bailed on going at the last minute, which I thought was stinky, after all the cups of tea I've given her - but she bailed on the wedding in Buffalo too so.. whatever). Two of my husband's sister's came (his brother was away, but they stopped by the house with cookies etc earlier). One of my husband's cousins came, brought a coffee cake and card, went to the cemetery and froze with us. My Mom's cousin and my Aunt (Mom's sister in law) and some of her kids came. One of my Dad's cousins came, who we only met at my Mom's funeral and showed up again - he looked so much like my Uncle Fred, definitely had family face and really nice guy.

I read my speech, my brother read his (a bit long, because he's a man of not few words, but from the heart and really beautiful). My Dad did a lot for my brother, helped and supported him his whole life, so my brother was very grateful. sigh.

And now it's supposed to snow tomorrow and I hope they can both fly home as scheduled!

Thanks for your sympathies, my friends! Dad did live a good long life, on his own terms, and I think he would have been pleased to see his plans carried out and be honors. Oh, they had military honors because he's a veteran too - two poor Army soldiers in dress uniform freezing their butts off in the cold, played Taps, saluted, folded the flag and presented it to me - it was beautiful and really moving.

So good to have my son home; I think it's a good break for him from all his responsibilities at home, too. And good to spend some time with my brother (even though he wears me out/gets on my last nerve - lol).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan