View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

I have no issue with age differences in relationships as long as both people are consenting adults, whichever gender the older person is. The French president is married to a woman 25 years older than him. That's their business. The actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson is married to the filmmaker Samantha Taylor-Johnson. She's 23 years older than him. Again, that's fine. So I'm not going to complain if Deadpool in his 40s is shown onscreen romancing Siryn in her 20s. People of widely differing ages get together in real life all the time and it's a good thing, because it bridges the society-damaging gap between generations. Just as mixed-race relationships help bridge racial divides. There's a lot of ageism going around about couples with different ages and some of it is dressed up as feminism, but that doesn't make it any less ageist. "Ew older man!" "Ew, older woman!" Either way it's not progressive. We've got to be flexible about different types of relationships in society -straight, gay, monoracial, mixed race, same generation, mixed generation, etc.

I know there's a problem that older women often don't get to be with older men onscreen and the filmmakers use younger women, but the reverse pattern is true for younger males -they often don't get much of a chance until they've hit their 30s or even 40s. Just as Hollywood prefers younger women to older women, it also prefers older men to younger men. Both genders get pushed aside for differently aged members of their gender, just at different stages of their lives. However, Hollywood is gradually giving older women more screen time and respect and I suppose I'll have to tolerate seeing more of younger men on my screen too. Though why anybody would want to watch Tye Sheridan or Finn Jones beats me. I admit to some ageism with regard to younger men, I guess. We're all guilty of prejudice in some area.

Last edited by sum1; 01-10-2018 at 11:44 PM