View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Crystal Clear
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Nah, that wasn't too long-winded compared to some of my rants. And I also love the Prince for the same reasons you do, but I do think that Lucrezia's behavior is a bit inconsistent from the beginning to the end, if you know what I mean. At the start of the episode she's swooning over Cesare and couldn't give a damn about her husband, Alfonso. But by the end of the episode she's acting like she's afraid of Cesare and feels trapped by him, and fearing what he'll do to Alfonso. It doesn't make sense. And the fact is that Alfonso is the one who wanted Cesare dead, both on the show and in the history. And you're correct in that all of Lucrezia's actions in season 3(including her seduction of Cesare in her bedroom) all point to her being totally infatuated with her brother more than Alfonso, whom she admits bores her. But that just makes her inconsistent behavior at the end of The Prince and in the Apocalypse script all the more frustrating. Seriously, Jordan?

Very good point about Lucrezia in The Prince. It's true that the characterization is inconsistent and I feel like that happens due to different writers being allocated to write different episodes. They will all have their own versions of the historic events.

In terms of the episode, I think her head was messed up because she knew Cesare was leaving soon, so she was passionate but also angry towards him.

Also, it won't help that a lot of what is taken from history and put into TV adaptations is based on rumors rather than facts, so they're unsure of how to handle her character without getting backlash from viewers for not being accurate enough.

However, I feel as if Lucrezia does have a lot of sides to her. She's in love with Cesare, but she knows society treats incest as taboo, so technically she can't show her true feelings in public and has to adapt to a facade of being the perfect wife to her husband.

...I go back and forth between sympathizing with her and feeling irritated by her.

Quote:
Oh, and yeah, for a moment you really see how terrified Cesare is when he thinks that Lucrezia drank the poison. Why would she even do that in the first place? And also when Cesare calls Lucreiza a "professional," acknowledging that she's become as skilled in the arts of poisons and potions as Micheletto. Oh, and it is ironic that Juan may not have been too bright at most things, but he certainly was the first one to notice what was going on between Cesare and Lucrezia. Maybe it was the drugs.

There was an equal ground built up between Cesare and Lucrezia in Season 3 that I adored. It seemed to come into play following Juan's death - Lucrezia had a very cold reaction that stunned their father and I think changed her in his eyes into someone who could stand up for herself.

The moment where Cesare thinks Lucrezia has drank the poison He knows in that instant what he almost could have lost. Hence, "YOU WILL BE MINE"

My biggest complaint about Season 3 remains as follows: I MISSED DAVID OAKES

Juan was a selfish drunk but feel as if he was deeply misunderstood. I saw it from his father's POV that you will inevitably still think of your son as that innocent boy AND I think Juan became corrupted by the Borgia rise to power in a way that Cesare and Lucrezia did not, partially because he was rumored to have different birth father, thus he will do everything to prove he deserves royalty AS MUCH as his siblings.

And I still love the Juan/Lucrezia dynamic in early Season 2. There was something incestuous about the way he begged Cesare to keep her away from the father of her baby. I stand by my belief that he was jealous of Cesare, for a lot of reasons
Skam Italia icon
Gwen